Sign in to follow this  
Granite

Many of us can't install The Cave (Android) Please help us Double Fine!

I recently purchased The Cave on Android and am unable to install it on my devices.

I have tried it on three different Nexus 7's (2012), and also on a Nexus 5. The install process takes ages, and then eventually causes the devices to shut off. Once turned back on again The Cave is not installed.

I did manage to install it on a Nexus 7 (2013).

Looking around the Internet, many people seem to be having this problem on all manner of devices, the reviews on Google Play and Amazon are full of people unable to install this game.

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Fine-Productions-The-Cave/product-reviews/B00H8WCPE2/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Please help us Double Fine!!

Having the same problem.

Also bought it with the Humble Bundle. Using a Galaxy Note 2 with Android 4.4.

This problem seems to have been around for months without a solution.

I have purchased the HumbleBundle version and was able to download and install. However, when I launch the game, it crashes immediately with the message "unfortunately the cave has stopped working" and I can't play the game. I am running an Asus Transformer TF101 with Android version 4.3. Any help would be appreciated.

I am having this problem also. Bought the Humble Bundle just for The Cave. It installs, but goes to a black screen on launch and then back to home screen. No error message.

Motorola Xoom. Android 4.1.2.

Howdy folks.

We're sorry that you are encountering issues with our game. We are currently looking to fix this issue.

Some possible fixes:

- Please try re-downloading the game.

- If that doesn't work, try turning off your Wi-fi before you launch the game.

- Update your device to the latest android version.

Additionally, please post your Android version to help us track devices which encounter issues.

If you are unable to launch the game and would like a refund, please contact Google Play or Amazon Support as we do not have the ability to issue refunds.

Hi guys and thanks for replying.

I've re-downloaded the game and checked the md5 checksum against the value listed on my humblebundle page which is 2c799566fcbf1de89c8d510cfe381f0a.

So download is OK. I can not install the game, sometimes when I start installation it takes 20-30 seconds to report that it was not successful.

My phone is Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 4.1.2.

Can this install be split in two parts like with other games. Installer that is few MB and than it will download additional file. Since most of large games work in that way ?

Br,

Erol

Hi, thanks a lot for your answer.

I have re-downloaded the game with torrent and verified the file.

I have made sure that the install was to the external SD (with plenty of gigs free) by using as root the command "pm set-install-location 2"

but this hasn't changed the outcome, when I tried to install the game it took more than a minute before saying that it didn't install.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note, with Asylum OmniRom (Android 4.4.2)

PS as I have bought the HumbleBundle just for your game I not interested in a refund.

If nothing works a good alternative would be to give me a code for the Steam version of the game.

Motorola Xoom Android 4.1.2 as per edited post above.

I've tried your suggestions. I've read the FAQ. Thanks for your help so far.

Not possible to update to Android 4.4 as Motorola stopped issuing updates.

Same deal, Samsung Tab 3 (Android 4.2.2), tried removing it and re-downloading, disabling WiFi, etc. It says it's installed but won't run, I just get a black screen on launch. Is there anything else we can try or help with?

Same deal, Samsung Tab 3 (Android 4.2.2), tried removing it and re-downloading, disabling WiFi, etc. It says it's installed but won't run, I just get a black screen on launch. Is there anything else we can try or help with?

Same issue here, Tab 3 (8"), 4.2.2- successful dl/install, black screen when I go to open it. Was so excited to take on a long road trip this weekend! Really hope there's a fix by then.

Same issue as the others. Samsung Galaxy S2, Android 4.1.2, I try installing the game and after a few minutes it says "installation failed".

I downloaded the file many times from differents sources, I freed space on my phone, but nothing worked.

Please help us fix it.

Well since I payed for the game and I could not install it, I went and downloaded cracked version and you know what? it works perfectly ?!?

File download is split into two parts, small apk file and large obb file. Copied obb file and installed apk and the game runs without issues on my Galaxy S2 (4.1.2).

I hope DF will not be mad since I am not mad at them for not fixing the issue :)

Br,

Erol

Downloaded many times via the humble downloader, the installataion takes ages but finishes, the app wont open even with wifi disabled. On samsung galaxy tab 10".

I can confirm that the cracked version works with no hassle, very odd that the humble wont. I dont want my refund, already had the game on steam and bought again for android.. Just hopes that the game gots fixed under humble, much more people deserve to play such an awesome game.

I've succeeded installing just the game but not the data by doing this:

- downloaded the original APK from HumbleBundle

- unzipped the APK

- removed the huge assets directory (1.4 Gigs)

- re-zipped the APK

- copied the modified APK to the phone and installed it

Now I must find some way to install the assets data as an obb file .... suggestions?

BTW, I noticed that the 1.1.1 version on Google Play is smaller and downloads the game data separately.

Could you do the same for the 1.1.4 Humble bundle version?

Will not finish installing on Nexus 7 (2012). Installation routine runs for several minutes, then the Nexus does a hard system reset. I've tried disabling Wi-Fi, no change. I've downloaded the file 4 different times, no change.

Model ME370T

Android version 4.4.2

Kernel version 3.1.10-g4776c68

Build number KOT49H

Any further updates on this problem? Still haven't had success getting the cave running on my Galaxy 3 Tab (8"). Tech support emailed back some generic e-mail with suggestions that demonstrated they never read my original e-mail (i had tried all of them and mentioned that). Very frustrating. If nothing else, at least give me a copy of the cave on steam so I can actually play it.

Same issue as above, black screen after installing humble bundle version.

Android 4.2.2, Samsung Interface / Version though, Samsung Galaxy Tablet (with Pen) 8.0.

Thanks and a nice day to everybody!

Daniel

Well I've got myself a couple of new android devices. The Cave doesn't install on either of them, with the same errors.

It's been a few months since I last tried on my old tablet, which makes it about two years since this was first reported as far as I can tell.

Nothing has been done. The game is still for sale on the Play store despite it being a known issue that it simply doesn't work at all for a lot of people.

Sadly, I don't think It's possible for a company to care less about its customers :/

Hi

Same here.

tried it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S with Android 5.02. Installation works fine, but the problem is that i cant see anything. When i start the Screen i get a black screen. Sound is working and the Cave tells something and I can choose the characters. But sadly as I have a black Screen this is kind of useless.

I saw that in one of the release notes this issue was taggled. Is it possible that the Humble Bundle Version is not up to date?

How can i get the update for the Humbel Bundle version??

Thanks

An answer would be great! Maybe the new community Manager can have a look at it.

Well I've got myself a couple of new android devices. The Cave doesn't install on either of them, with the same errors.

It's been a few months since I last tried on my old tablet, which makes it about two years since this was first reported as far as I can tell.

Nothing has been done. The game is still for sale on the Play store despite it being a known issue that it simply doesn't work at all for a lot of people.

Sadly, I don't think It's possible for a company to care less about its customers :/

I think some of the Problems are solved. anyhow i assume These issues are only related to the humble bündle Version!!

Hi Spaff,

any new on this matter? Is download Version from The Cave in the Humble Bundle the newest Version with all patches?

Thanks

@ Shy Lev-Ari: man, thanks for this hint. It works on my device (note 8.0 with lineage Android 7.1.2 and google play open gapps) now after removing the SD Thema installing and Thema reinserting the SD. Before Installation weht fine but game crashed immediately after Start ,only black screen for some seconds.