Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chyron

Where do you go for gaming news?

It occurs to me that Kotaku is somewhat of a swear word around these parts, so what is your go-to way to get gaming news?

If you have a smartphone, what gaming news apps and/or newsstand subscriptions do you use?

i like kotaku. sure sometimes they post irrelevant junk but they also produce a lot of good, honest content too. they're like nickleback: easy to jump on the hate bandwagon but if you listen to them they're not actually that bad.

i also browse /r/games and neogaf even though they can be full of those hivemind bandwagon idiots.

Never made it as a wise man

I couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing

Tired of living like a blind man

I'm sick of sight without a sense of feeling

And this is how you remind me

This is how you remind me

Of what I really am

Of what I really am

It's not like you to say sorry

I was waiting on a different story

This time I'm mistaken

For handing you a heart worth breaking

And I've been wrong, I've been down,

Been to the bottom of every bottle

These five words in my head

Scream "are we having fun yet?"

Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no

Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no

It's not like you didn't know that

I said I love you and I swear I still do

And it must have been so bad

Cause living with me must have damn near killed you

And this is how, you remind me

Of what I really am

This is how, you remind me

Of what I really am

This time I'm mistaken

Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no

Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no

Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no

Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no

Never made it as a wise man

I couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing

And this is how you remind me

Of what I really am

Of what I really am

This time I'm mistaken

Yeah, yeah, are we having fun yet?

Yeah, yeah, no, no.

Rock Paper Shotgun is the only gaming site I actually follow and read daily. Being mostly a PC gamer, they're more then enough. And it helps that they have a site that's actually readable.

Everything else is when people redirect me to the sites with forums posts or tweets.

I go to my RSS feed reader, which I have filtered to exclude things I want to avoid.

Overall, it works for me.

The sites I feed into it include:

Gamasutra

GamesIndustry.biz

Indie Statik

HardcoreGaming101(not really "news" but still)

Rock Paper Shotgun

PC Gamer

Polygon

Siiconera(absolutely vital for Japanese games coverage)

Adventure Gamers

The websites and blogs of various games/developrs

Joystiq

On Reddit, I also subscribe to r/games(not r/gaming), r/pcgaming, r/steam, r/buildapc, r/buildapcsales, r/vita, r/3DS. and r/gamedeals.

On Twitter, I follow a lot of games journalists and developers, especially indie devs and publishers like Devolver Digital, Atlus, and Nicalis.

I think that covers everything, unless you want to count a couple podcasts, web video series, and forums.

No, Nickelback really do suck.

Yes, they do.

Nickleback have about three types of songs. Slow songs, Generic songs, and half-decent rock songs.

They don't make the latter very often, but when they do, we end up with stuff like this:

WL0WnVKjUh8

I take a look at the Escapist but only really for the Jimquisition and Zero Punctuation...

Other than that I follow a couple of Journalists on Twitter and listen to a couple of gaming related podcasts that mean I don't miss out on too much news...

I pretty much just check the front page of /r/games for news and give a glance over of the forums on here to see if there's any DoubleFine news.

Twitter, and sometimes Rock Paper Shotgun. If anything interesting happens, someone'll tweet about it before I find out on a news site.

Sites I used to go on for geek news:

The Mary Sue (I really enjoy the feminism talk, but it gets buried under the same problems that I think a lot of geek blogs like Kotaku do nowadays-- I want to see news, commentary, and criticism, and stuff like reposting excellent fanart and .gifs should be relegated to a separate feed.)

Sites I still use:

The AV Club/Gameological

VG247

Kotaku

Indiestatik

Rock, Paper, Shotgun

The only sites I check regularly are Google News and Adventure Gamers

Who needs news, I've got you guys/girls. Other than that, just grapevine.

Indiestatik

I just sort of assumed that IndieStatik was a site that was maintained solely for my benefit.

I wasn't aware that other people actually read it.

Indiestatik

I just sort of assumed that IndieStatik was a site that was maintained solely for my benefit.

My friend got me into it. I look for any game with the following quota: interesting visuals, writing, and/or music, unique approach to gameplay, Mac compatibility, and possible discussion of social issues. That last one is optional. Nice, but optional. I had a debate with the same friend because he dismissed Gone Home as pretentious devoid-of-gameplay pandering, while I quite liked what I saw of it.

Indiestatik

My friend got me into it. I look for any game with the following quota: interesting visuals, writing, and/or music, unique approach to gameplay, Mac compatibility, and possible discussion of social issues. That last one is optional. Nice, but optional. I had a debate with the same friend because he dismissed Gone Home as pretentious devoid-of-gameplay pandering, while I quite liked what I saw of it.

Gone Home is very good, so go with yout feeling of it. I kinda hate the use of the word pretentious when a developer just tries to do something different.

I don't think things are pretentious unless they are incomprehensible to everyone except the artist, while my friend thought it was pretentious because he looks down his nose at anything that tries to be inclusive to gay characters, non-white characters, or women. Meanwhile, I think inclusivity is great, and should be encouraged, being a woman and LGBT myself. I am white, but I enjoy making my characters in video games darker-skinned if I have the option, and I know many (although not all) of my non-white friends enjoy at least having the option too, even if they don't always want to make a female or non-white character.

Sign in to follow this