Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JediJedah

Swamp solo in a Selker (II-V)

Anyone ever pulled this off? My live gold ran out so I been working on this with a Selker IV solo when I get bored/have free time lately. I met someone that did it with shock mines and pst's...was told the shock helped separate the jakobs from other tubes. I don't like the canopy over the trench w/ the Selker V so I go IV. Same deal when I'm shredding for a squad...but with a Karl IV....the zoom has a much better view since the side panels of the Karl V aren't there....and the trench looks like a big soup can, which humors me. I did prattle off initial topic a li'l, eh?

Anyone ever pulled this off? My live gold ran out so I been working on this with a Selker IV solo when I get bored/have free time lately. I met someone that did it with shock mines and pst's...was told the shock helped separate the jakobs from other tubes. I don't like the canopy over the trench w/ the Selker V so I go IV. Same deal when I'm shredding for a squad...but with a Karl IV....the zoom has a much better view since the side panels of the Karl V aren't there....and the trench looks like a big soup can, which humors me. I did prattle off initial topic a li'l, eh?

INTELNY was the king of the selkers back in the day... LOL It was pulled off by him... Let me try ans see if I can pull up his build at the time...

I tried massive mines, pst's, s shredders, and archies last few times. Its a coin toss when deciding if i wanna upgrade mines or spam them...later waves when they do crap damage and its hectic running around upgrading....or kill everything faster but get crap for scrap...

when i was doing swamp w/out snipers it was better to upgrade them, but build in sections (start at spawn, start at base, then fill in middle) ...idk....

have you already beaten hospital solo with a selker ii+? if so, did you use m. mines or shock mines?

Haven't done hospital, but I got a buddy that did in a selker...gonna guess 5...plus I'd rather do swamp since its higher tube health which means more aggrivatinglygoodfuntime.

we haven't had a match in a while, btw....how u been?

have you already beaten hospital solo with a selker ii+? if so, did you use m. mines or shock mines?

Haven't done hospital, but I got a buddy that did in a selker...gonna guess 5...plus I'd rather do swamp since its higher tube health which means more aggrivatinglygoodfuntime.

Hey, I've been well. I and a buddy did a 2 man settlement the other day, which I've never actually attempted. We had to restart once, but I'm proud of the fact that we practiced and executed on Wave 7 taking down Arty and Volt Dropper before either could get a shot off due to our sniper placements (and the fiestas we carried). We're sadly still weak early on, and I have yet to even accomplish the first 10 waves in settlement without taking at least a couple hits to the bases. That aside, I'm still enjoying the game. I heard from a guy that he and another both 2 manned settlement with both of them, in Selker I's, which I think is an odd feat.

Hey, I've been well. I and a buddy did a 2 man settlement the other day, which I've never actually attempted. We had to restart once, but I'm proud of the fact that we practiced and executed on Wave 7 taking down Arty and Volt Dropper before either could get a shot off due to our sniper placements (and the fiestas we carried). We're sadly still weak early on, and I have yet to even accomplish the first 10 waves in settlement without taking at least a couple hits to the bases. That aside, I'm still enjoying the game. I heard from a guy that he and another both 2 manned settlement with both of them, in Selker I's, which I think is an odd feat.

lol! 2 man selker I....that must have been a blast not having a crane and running from the water on cathy waves. i prolly know only 1 guy nutty enough to do it with me....and that guy beat swamp solo w/ lasers recently...

on settlement...focus all your first snipers around orange (knob trap mushroom, by the decoy, smaller peninsula in front of blue...as examples) )and 1 guy should be at each decoy for the first vault and arty. the guy at green can shoot down at arty while the guy at orange shoots at the vault. walking and shooting at orange decoy you can get 4-5 shots in till you get to the intersection...if arty is walking to blue, shoot at arty while the vault swings around the green conduit to the intersection...when vault gets to the intersection, thats another 4-5 shots. killing the vault is more important than arty..so if arty walks to orange and the guy at green decoy doesn't get him, don't worry and fire at the vault before he swings past blue conduit. 3 bases getting hit is worse than 1. worst case scenario, arty gets 2 shots off. plus if theres someone at each end, someone can kill the bursts at green or the knobs/resisters at orange. hope this helps.

on settlement...focus all your first snipers around orange (knob trap mushroom, by the decoy, smaller peninsula in front of blue...as examples) )and 1 guy should be at each decoy for the first vault and arty. the guy at green can shoot down at arty while the guy at orange shoots at the vault. walking and shooting at orange decoy you can get 4-5 shots in till you get to the intersection...if arty is walking to blue, shoot at arty while the vault swings around the green conduit to the intersection...when vault gets to the intersection, thats another 4-5 shots. killing the vault is more important than arty..so if arty walks to orange and the guy at green decoy doesn't get him, don't worry and fire at the vault before he swings past blue conduit. 3 bases getting hit is worse than 1. worst case scenario, arty gets 2 shots off. plus if theres someone at each end, someone can kill the bursts at green or the knobs/resisters at orange. hope this helps.

Hey, you know I've tried placing a sniper on those mushroom's behind orange that are next to the knob-trap-dampener, and I've never really felt like I put it in a good sniper spot. Mind telling me specifically which mushroom? No hard feeling if you think it's too hard to describe.

Hey, you know I've tried placing a sniper on those mushroom's behind orange that are next to the knob-trap-dampener, and I've never really felt like I put it in a good sniper spot. Mind telling me specifically which mushroom? No hard feeling if you think it's too hard to describe.

behind orange base...walking to the the mushrooms from blue...the very first one (knob trap) thats lower than the others. you can put a sniper on each end and a dampener on the ground just above the water in the middle behind orange. i should show you my dampener setup sometime for orange path. sniper, dampener sniper, 3 shredders. dampener, 2 shredders, dampener, 2 shredders, dampener. thats how i have the edge facing the water set up going from the mushrooms to the shelf near the conduit. theres nooks that dig in the dirt at certain points and bursts walk past the dampeners if they ever get that far. the spacing between dampeners has more space that 2 shredders but only 2 will fit. the part on the mountain side after the mushrooms that dips a li'l before that first high shelf part....i put a dampener on the right end (the side nearest to the base) and keep that dampener at lvl 2. everything crawls from the safe spot shelf by the conduit to the mushrooms and gets scrapped the whole way. i fill the water with snipers. Also, build stuff on those shelves up high. The amp stands there when you do and you can pick off the jakobs at your leisure. i like putting a shredder and then a sniper on the shelf right next to the hollow rock you can put a dampener in thats before the safe spot shelf opposite side of the path.

On green, walk right of the conduit right next to it where those yellow mushrooms and the tentacles are. right behind the tentacles before the big blue mushroom, put a dampener...bursts don't touch it. the yellow mushroom thats all the way down when you walk under that big tentacle, put a sniper on it as far back you can (favor towards direction of blue conduit if u know what i mean), then put one on the ground behind the tentacle. bursts try to shoot at the one behind the tentacle, but hit the tentacle instead and both snipers shoot at stuff. At the very end of the ridge before green, put a sniper on the large rocky clump and don't build anything behind it...this stops the amp from going to green. you can still build stuff on the mountainside.

On blue, the tentacle at the conduit on the right, you can put a dampener in it. Bursts break it, but knobs roll past it. the stem of the small mushroom before the big orange one, put a dampener, then the big orange one, put a shredder on the face of it as low as you can (knob trap). then a shredder favoring the lower left of the small yellow one after that. then a dampener favoring the top left on the next mushroom at lvl 2, then a shredder on the side of the dark mushroom after that...if you don't put that shredder low on the side of that dark mushroom it'll only shoot aerial tubes. next dampener is the stem of that big mushroom before the curve sticking out of the peninsula going to blue (lvl. 2). put a sniper on the left yellow mushroom at the beachhead before blue and a dampener low on the wall before it and thats another lvl. 2. upgrading all the lvl 2 dampeners i mentioned would cause fields to overlap. the one at the beachhead might be a 3 but i don't really risk it since i don't wanna goof around when they get that close to a base. make sure to have that shredder that goes after those first 2 dampeners (knob trap) up before wave 9...fair chance an amp comes out and it freezes there and gets shredded.

First few snipers around orange, then on the green decoy, then on the peninsula, then in the cubby (thats the big empty section on the left of blue conduit thats below green conduit) if you got the scrap later.

Msg. me and we'll do a run. 2 honeychurch w/ mines and snipers and its a joke. My wife been playing with me and toxic lately on sundays and she builds the mines while we do the snipers. I miss shredding! Standing around waiting for scrap to upgrade a sniper bores the hell out of me and if you kill something besides jakobs or bursts, that means less scrap (after the emplacements are set up, that is). if we don't squad up, i hope this helps. almost 2am and babbling....

best i've done so far on swamp solo w/ a selker iv is in the 80's so far still. idk why i wanna do this so bad, honestly.

Edit: erased my entire post because it made no sense and was useful to nobody.

msg me on the 360 and we'll do a run if that makes things easier.

I've been trying massive mines the past couple days. I got to the mid 80's and jakobs w/ resistors on blue took the base yesterday. Gonna go back to shock mines (thats what IntelNY used). I noticed I fare better if I mine up the bridge and the water then mine up going to blue whilst setting up sniper field around blue before setting up snipers on green. Its so friggin aggravating how 2 bad waves and the base is destroyed when I get past the 60's. I haven't bothered going out of the map my last 10 tries or so. I don't build mines unless I have enough to max them out either....spamming them doesn't give me enough time or scrap to upgrade them later...and by the time I need the damage factor, its too late. Not having collection isn't too bad, but the dampeners is friggin' brutal. Its tricky but possible to catch willy on the bridge and 'shuffle' with him to keep him in place and its really easy to hold him right at the bend by blue. I hate the canopy on the selker v, but I need the health, so I'm getting practice building in the trees with it. I just had a pot of coffee and I'm ready to drive myself crazy for a couple hours again...

Died on 92 yesterday...my best so far. The Double Amp + Double Willy wave is what got me. I managed to hold the first willy on the bridge till the 2nd one bumped him and I couldn't kill the jakobs in time to kill the willy...I took the loss clearing 91 whilst shooting willy in vain...he was flashing pretty good...if i only had a few more seconds. Blue had decent health w/ around 70%-80%. Other than the vault tappin on it whilst swinging by, blue isn't really a big deal. I'm thinking of focusing on upgrading more snipers around green today. Shock mines are definitely the way to go, despite 1/2 the damage of massive mines. I tried doing this w/ Toxic as a duo and he brought lasers...that helped a lot w/ the cathy situation, but I'd rather get the scrap from shredding whilst running in circles around the map. I don't think I'd want to give up the mines for or snipers for lasers when going solo.

I did it! Yaaaay! As far as I know, I'm the 2nd one to beat swamp this way.

Loadout:

Trench: Selker V

Weapons: 2 Fiestas

Emplacements:

Super Shredders

Camo Shotguns (I didn't build any at all, actually)

Piercing Snipers

Massive Mines

I was skeptical this last run (which I just finished 10 minutes ago) about the massive mines, but I upgraded them asap after building them till I got to the 70's where I spammed them more. I got a lot of mercy this run as far as the ground...willy trains happened up to the mid-80's. I ended with about 30% base health on each...had 30 on blue from the vault mainly (willy hit the base a few times one wave also) since I dumped a lotta scrap into mines and I got multiple double vault waves in the 80's. In the low 90's, jakobs w/ tommies and resistors came out of all 3 conduits. I killed the jakobs going to blue, got the ones under the bridge as they were heading up the ramp and took a li'l damage from that pack and took a whole lot more from the jakobs making it down the bridge (base health went from 75 to 30 in one wave)..managed to save the base this time that it happened. Without dampeners, all it takes is one bad wave and abandon mission or die killing tubes in a fit of rage.

Final wave was a joke on this run....breakers w/ blitzers. My wife was watching and took a pic w/ her phone.

Swamp solo Selker V.jpg

578d006e29701_SwampsoloSelkerV.jpg.d365c

A buddy recently did this in a Selker III. I'm not sure how much of a difference in challenge it'd be w/ 1/2 the health of a V. We've both beaten swamp solo in a Selker I, so prolly not a big deal once a build pattern is established I guess.

Sign in to follow this