Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 18: 1/3/14

I'm sure this will be answered in the next update where you explain the steam key -thingie, but are we under NDA or are we allowed to post screenshots and videos of the game and/or stream to the public?

I'm sure this will be answered in the next update where you explain the steam key -thingie, but are we under NDA or are we allowed to post screenshots and videos of the game and/or stream to the public?
All of the backer content has been exclusive so far, so I think it is under the same gentlemen's agreement NDA it always has been until the wide Early Access at least. (And any act two content we see between that and the final version is also private.)

All of the backer content has been exclusive so far, so I think it is under the same gentlemen's agreement NDA it always has been until the wide Early Access at least. (And any act two content we see between that and the final version is also private.)

I think, yes, it has been alluded to in the past that we should keep the game under wraps until at least the Early Access date. I'm sure in the email on the 13th it will explain all that though.

Besides it wouldn't be fair to spoil content for those who, because of various reasons, don't use Steam, and thus isn't able to play the game until later.

Besides it wouldn't be fair to spoil content for those who, because of various reasons, don't use Steam, and thus isn't able to play the game until later.

I think it's going to be tricky to keep the internet spoiler free when beta access is available - but I think when Early Access happens at the end of the month, basically all bets are off on the spread of spoilers, so those who won't be joining in with the beta or the early access should at least expect to keep a wary eye out for spoilers from that point.

I would suggest to DF that a separate spoiler forum is set up so that all spoilery posts about the game from the 14th onwards can be encouraged to be confined to a single backer forum.

...what you can do to help with marketing...
Sneaky!
The database is currently at 270 bugs.
Fix one up, compile again, the database is now 271 bugs. :P
Isn't this how it usually happens?

I would suggest to DF that a separate spoiler forum is set up so that all spoilery posts about the game from the 14th onwards can be encouraged to be confined to a single backer forum.

A spoiler forum seems like a good idea. It's either that or a general understanding that the DFA forums from the Beta release on will contain spoilers. Once the Beta is released the natural thing for the community to do is to talk about it. The only focus of the DFA forums is Broken Age and it's not really reasonable to expect people to pretend they don't have the knowledge they do about the game and/or be encumbered with the requirement of placing caveats (i.e. spoiler warnings) around everything they say.

Would it be too much to ask for a daily bug count update on the road to beta / release. As a software developer myself a decreasing bug count is unfathomably exciting. I'm well aware that the number never reaches 0 but it would provide an interesting incite into how things are going in a single number.

I'm curious if they're planning on rolling out a custom Beta feedback forum, or if they'll be using a proper bug-reporting framework (e.g. Bugzilla).

Congrats guys. Does this mean most of the development team has already moved on to act 2? Will we start seeing episodes/getting updates more about act 2 just as the act 1 beta is released? I'm asking because my original plan was to wait for act 2, but if the documentary/updates will reveal things about act 1, I may go ahead and play it so nothing's spoiled with the new backer content concerning act 2's development.

Taken from another forum:

3TNzJLj.jpg

I tried checking mine, but it gets stuck at "loading..." :(

Edit: Just tried it again and it worked. :D

Taken from another forum:

3TNzJLj.jpg

Wait, are you're able to play Broken Age or just download it?

Neither. Here's the message it gives me:

Thanks for purchasing Broken Age ($60+ Tier)!

When available, you'll be able to get all your digital content listed below right here on your download page!

Your purchase of Broken Age $60 Tier gets you:

Exclusive access to the Beta on Steam

Broken Age, cross-platform and DRM-free

A Steam key for Broken Age, Windows, Mac and Linux

Digital Broken Age soundtrack

Digital documentary soundtrack

Documentary digital download

Digital art book

When available, you'll be able to get all your digital content listed below right here on your download page!

Digital art book

Oh, good. I can only imagine the panic/anger it would cause if it started leaking again.

Digital art book

Last night it was very briefly available to download and play due to an error which has now been fixed. The 20 or so people who downloaded it in that time were asked to hold off playing it, because clearly the version was not quite ready to release to backers. But it looks like the Humble Bundle page will be one way of claiming a code next Tuesday.

Can't wait! I just watched the last Episode again and oh my, the music sounds REALLY AWESOME. As I said, can't wait!

because clearly the version was not quite ready to release to backers

I hope that nobody gets the impression that Broken Age needs enough work to justify delays.

"Clearly" seems to misrepresent the state of the game. From what little I played whilst I waited to hear back from Greg about whether or not availability was intentional, there were no in-game indicators (quality or otherwise) that suggested that they game was less polished than would be acceptable for this type of early release (or even a final build).

Edit: And before anybody asks, no, I won't be answering any questions about the game before it's available to everybody ^_^

because clearly the version was not quite ready to release to backers

I hope that nobody gets the impression that Broken Age needs enough work to justify delays.

"Clearly" seems to misrepresent the state of the game. From what little I played whilst I waited to hear back from Greg about whether or not availability was intentional, there were no in-game indicators (quality or otherwise) that suggested that they game was less polished than would be acceptable for this type of early release (or even a final build).

Edit: And before anybody asks, no, I won't be answering any questions about the game before it's available to everybody ^_^

I merely meant that the logo was still REDS on the icon, and some of the menu items weren't functional I think. Those things made it pretty clear to me that it wasn't the version meant to release to us.

So excited...

a live Humble page... and we now have a beta date.

Now we just need news on what that final BIG $100+ version is going to be like. I assume they've completed all the stuff for THAT awhile ago, and kept it under really good wraps.

I merely meant that the logo was still REDS on the icon, and some of the menu items weren't functional I think. Those things made it pretty clear to me that it wasn't the version meant to release to us.

Ah, k. I wouldn't have interpreted either of those as being clear indicators that a private beta release was not ready for its audience (though I didn't spot any menu items that weren't working).

But anyway, only a week to wait! ^_^

Now we just need news on what that final BIG $100+ version is going to be like.

If that's in regards to the Humble download page saying $60+, that text is being used for all reward tiers above $60 (there are no additional digital rewards over the $60 tier). I was hard pressed to think of any better way of representing that than using the words "and above" rather than a plus sign.

If that's in regards to the Humble download page saying $60+, that text is being used for all reward tiers above $60 (there are no additional digital rewards over the $60 tier). I was hard pressed to think of any better way of representing that than using the words "and above" rather than a plus sign.

I think once you hit the $60 tier you started getting physical things.

Nup that was the $100 tier.

Oh my, I will get back to Budapest from a Transylvania tour with my friends, 10+ hours with train from Brasso. But I must check it out!

The tiers were also cumulative, so those who went with $100+ to get physical rewards also have all of the $60 digital rewards.

Sign in to follow this