Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 18: 1/3/14

So what is this about the Humble Bundle site? I'm not registered there. Am I gonna have to register there to get a Steam key for the game? Why not just send me an email with a Steam key or PM me the key on these forums?

You will get a Steam key via email. It's just that there was the possibility to become a Broken Age backer during the Humble Double Fine Bundle so you can now also get it there.

I think all of the keys are being handled through Humble (as many of us who were kickstarter backers have been able to access the placeholder Humble pages).

To answer FearMonkey though, no, Humble makes registration completely optional, the key is on a page with a unique URL (that can optionally be claimed to an account if you want to make one). Humble periodically offers bundles of indie games (including many Double Fine ones) in a pick your own price, then download / get steam keys, with a cut of the money going to charity. (They have since started regular sales of games at fixed prices, that also include a steam key and give a cut to charity.)

Edit - The Humble Pages look like this:

XTXARi0.jpg

Thanks, was not aware about this. Claimed my page. :)

DF created a bittersweet situation.

On the bright side DF found a way to reach this milestone which enables them to get additional resources in order to finish the game in a convincing way, that's good.

On the other side they lowered the experience for backers who were waiting since many years for a new adventure but also expected a full and finished game instead. Finally the adventure will be released, hurray, but wait, you can't play it without getting the shitty episodic experience again, you can't participate in discussions about the game till then and so on. It doesn't feel like party time already and somehow something was taken away from you this way.

I was hoping that this game wouldn't share TTG's style (altbough i understand why they did it this way). Too bad Cecil also wasn't able to release his game in one finished and polished part only. So, continuing to wait for the release date of the real thing and trying to ignore the all internet news related to this game until then.

Anyway, good luck for this release.

On the bright side DF found a way to reach this milestone which enables them to get additional resources in order to finish the game in a convincing way, that's good.

On the other side they lowered the experience for backers who were waiting since many years for a new adventure but also expected a full and finished game instead. Finally the adventure will be released, hurray, but wait, you can't play it without getting the shitty episodic experience again, you can't participate in discussions about the game till then and so on. It doesn't feel like party time already and somehow something was taken away from you this way.

I was hoping that this game wouldn't share TTG's style (altbough i understand why they did it this way). Too bad Cecil also wasn't able to release his game in one finished and polished part only. So, continuing to wait for the release date of the real thing and trying to ignore the all internet news related to this game until then.

HOWEVER.

Double Fine is stitching together both Chapters into one, complete experience unlike Telltale who leaves them all separate at the end. Broken Age will be a complete experience at the end. No 'episodic' crap.

Act 1 really feels like a complete experience and has a nice natural stopping point. Playthroughs are also coming in at around 4-5 hours. So we probably could have just released this and called it a game. It's almost like you're getting a full game and then a sequel! I really encourage everyone to play act 1 when it hits.

I have a question: will the beta version also be on android? probably not but i would really prefer to play it on my tablet because thats my favourite platform to play adventure games on :D

I cant wait either way!

@taumel TellTale does something very different in their episodic approach. Some of their episodes are really only to facilitate the story in subsequent episodes (I think that's what they did in The Walking Dead Episode 1 of Season 2).

There's another merit to the Broken Age release approach - you'll be able to give real feedback that can affect the game. So far we have seen only a glimpse of the game itself. Most discussions on the content are limited to that or some speculations. Now you'll be able to talk to the developers on what you liked or didn't like and that could affect the second part. So far it appeared that they are listening (not necessarily agreeing, but that's a good thing).

I have a question: will the beta version also be on android? probably not but i would really prefer to play it on my tablet because thats my favourite platform to play adventure games on :D

I cant wait either way!

So far we have been told that the beta is going to be released via Steam so it's planned for Windows, Mac and Linux.

ONLY steam users?

I don't use steam, I'm personally boycotting it... it's not nice to be a backer and be left out :(

ONLY steam users?

I don't use steam, I'm personally boycotting it... it's not nice to be a backer and be left out :(

The full release will be available on other platforms and DRM-free, but it will be on Steam while only act 1 is out and it's in early-access.

i think im also gonna start boycotting steam, i hate how they always make me buy games for next to nothing, so now i have so many games i dont know which ones to play :D

ONLY steam users?

They need a platform to push updates, Steam provides that, and unfortunately that's not possible if they just release it without some way to control it. The final game will be available on all options, including Android.

It's not a surprise, this was actually said almost 2 years ago (damn, was it that long ago?!!!)

I'll let the great Tim Schafer (or at least the "bigger" version of him) do the talking:

TFKwplDBmgg

Some backers whom backed only a dollar don't even get the beta OR the game. The beta is only promised on Steam, though the full game will be available DRM free.

ONLY steam users?

As a movie nerd who doesn't do Blu-ray, I appreciate your boycott actually. However, it should be said that the Steam DRM is optional and I just hope Double Fine won't be using it. There are actually quite a few games who chose not to use the DRM Steam provides (unlike Blu-rays unfortunately where I am not aware of a single movie that chose to abjure evil).

Here's a list on GOG for those games BTW.

An official statement from someone at DF would be nice though.

What does a personal boycott achieve exactly?

The same thing that any principle driven decision achieves - peace of mind and setting an example for what you believe in.

I might run SteamLUG, but I find it super hard to criticise people who choose to not use Steam.

All that said, it was super clear early on that the beta would be Steam only. Nobody should feel like they're now being ripped off - this decision was made before anybody put any money down.

What does a personal boycott achieve exactly?

Not being a sheep is what. Vote with your wallet.

When you're in a herd of sheep that might sound futile and probably is but some people still feel better not starting to baa. Personal integrity and bullcrap like that.

Bah humbug!

But seriously, Steam is probably the best in that they don't force DRM, that is the dev's choice.

And I don't personally boycott Steam. I even have a lot of DRM-protected games ... even though I usually payed a buck for them or so ;) But I do respect the decision.

And yes, it's optional but you don't know whether a game uses DRM or not unless you download it and try it out. Or someone else does. If Steam had a real interest in promoting not protecting games, they could easily indicate the use of DRM on the game's store page.

BTW, I also didn't use Steam until they went Linux. That actually swayed me over. Enough white paint on Darth Vader's mask so to speak.

I would find it very hard to be a PC game today without running a Steam account. And I remain fully convinced that we all would have been worse off if it hadn't existed.

But PC gaming is about choice of course, and I'm glad that DRM free and Linux versions are a trend now.

Is the beta also available for slacker backers?

i just remembered that i am a slacker backer, not a kickstarter backer

backers is backers
Yup, anyone who got in before they closed the option to become a backer. (Everyone else will have to get it with normal early access.)

Excited-Buster-Bluth-Listening-to-George-Bluth-in-Prison.gif

@DF Greg & *

From what has been written it was to be expected that it will feel more like a complete thing but still what will you do once you've finished it? You'll be waiting for the next part. Then you need to remember everything you did before (some people will replay the game which also might be interesting due to little adjustments in the first part by then), get into the mood again and so on.

But let's assume i play part 1 in a few sessions (if i can control myself not rushing through it in one), then there will be my last session and after i finished the game it might not have been long enough. After years of trying (and my gut feeling already told me this right from the start) i do perfectly know that i'm not into episodic gaming or games which are delivered in several pieces with weeks/months/years in between. This was a pain with TTG, with Valve, with Cockroach, ... i fucking don't like it.

Excursus (episodic gaming in a nutshell):

You want to sleep with Anna but only Bea wants to sleep with you. Instead of not being able to fuk at all you sleep with Bea but can't stop thinking of Anna, you start feeling guilty, ... this isn't a stable and satisfying condition at all and will be over pretty soon.

Anyway as i wrote already i'm fine with the direction Tim/DF took in order to enable a bigger game and all that, no hard feelings, but i'm also aware of the downsides this includes. I hope it will be a success and a little earthquake not only in the adventure genre.

Bah humbug!

But seriously, Steam is probably the best in that they don't force DRM, that is the dev's choice.

How I see it: DRM don't hurt pirates, they don't care. DRM hurt only the legitimate customers. And steam itself is a DRM. I also don't like have to go through the steam application to install and play, and have it always running. Plus a bit of personal backstory of things gone pretty bad with it...

I have various reasons for boycotting it, I'm a strong believer in the "vote with your wallet" stance, and that's why I buy from GOG.

Back in topic... this whole thing about the early access only on steam makes me feel like a second rate customer.

(Sorry for the OT on steam, won't happen again)

I also don't like have to go through the steam application to install and play, and have it always running.
Steam games can be set up to run without the need for Steam running (or even to continue working after Steam is uninstalled). It's an optional feature that DF has used (but probably won't on the early access). It does suck since it still involves creating an account so I see where you are coming from. The number of times I have uninstalled an app on my phone because the first thing what should be an offline experience wants me to do is create an account (fur seriuz!?) is too dang high. But I also see DF's point of view that the unfinished product still needs to be more controlled. The combination of Steam's minimalist DRM and early access will probably prevent unfinished versions from floating around the internet (or at least reduce it), which is a bigger hit to DF's reputation than it's a piracy issue. At least that's my take.

Bah humbug!

How I see it: DRM don't hurt pirates, they don't care. DRM hurt only the legitimate customers. And steam itself is a DRM. I also don't like have to go through the steam application to install and play, and have it always running. Plus a bit of personal backstory of things gone pretty bad with it...

I have various reasons for boycotting it, I'm a strong believer in the "vote with your wallet" stance, and that's why I buy from GOG.

Back in topic... this whole thing about the early access only on steam makes me feel like a second rate customer.

(Sorry for the OT on steam, won't happen again)

Steam functions as DRM, but it's so much more, and the intention of it was what most developers actually are using it for - distribution and updates of the games.

If you didn't have Steam, you would have had something worse. Steam has killed of several really stupid DRM systems for games.

Double Fine can use Steam for distribution and updates, without requiring the game to be run through the client. Not sure if they're going to though.

As a movie nerd who doesn't do Blu-ray, I appreciate your boycott actually..

How can you be a movie nerd and not do Blu-Ray?

Because ever since the Sony rootkit I haven't seen such a blatant attempt to bend me over and violate my bottom like Blu-ray did. Really, movie industry, you can blacklist my player, you run a fully featured virtual machine in my home network that can do firmware updates at will without me noticing? If I don't want your hardware players I can try my software player but only if I comply with your choice of operating system? Are you fucking kidding me? Who the fuck do these guys think they are to tell me what OS I have to run on my HTPC and whether or not I can use an open-source player? But actually, what pisses me off the most is the ability that even DVDs had, telling me where I can skip, when I can go to the menu etc. and abusing that to shove unskippable anti-piracy ads down my throat that make me wish I had just fucking downloaded the thing in the first place instead of paying someone for my indoctrination and boredom. The only reason it was ok on DVD was because the copy protection was so weak that it practically didn't exist. Every time I put an old DVD in an actual player instead of my XBMC HTPC that is kind enough to take the "don't skip" flag as an indication to not even autoplay the track in the first place, I regret it because one of those dreadful spots starts playing and I'm pressing buttons at random, hoping that one of them isn't blocked.

That's not all, but it should be reason enough to understand why I don't feel like "Hey, movie industry! You treat me like I'm a piece of shit? Why don't you let me appreciate that by giving you all my money and supporting your new standard that you try shoving down my throat?"

Don't forget, music lovers actually managed to fight back DRM. Movie people are idiots and because of it the next 4K standard will be even worse if anything. I don't think there is a single movie that you can't download as a BD rip. So what exactly are they doing all that to their customers for (plus the things most people will actually notice like immense wait times for no other reason than that the stupid player is doing some system verification check in the background and software players that will pop up an update window every single time they are started)?

Oh sorry if I got a little agitated there but that "how could you" of yours kinda ticked me off ;)

Because ever since the Sony rootkit I haven't seen such a blatant attempt to bend me over and violate my bottom like Blu-ray did. Really, movie industry, you can blacklist my player, you run a fully featured virtual machine in my home network that can do firmware updates at will without me noticing? If I don't want your hardware players I can try my software player but only if I comply with your choice of operating system? Are you fucking kidding me? Who the fuck do these guys think they are to tell me what OS I have to run on my HTPC and whether or not I can use an open-source player? But actually, what pisses me off the most is the ability that even DVDs had, telling me where I can skip, when I can go to the menu etc. and abusing that to shove unskippable anti-piracy ads down my throat that make me wish I had just fucking downloaded the thing in the first place instead of paying someone for my indoctrination and boredom. The only reason it was ok on DVD was because the copy protection was so weak that it practically didn't exist. Every time I put an old DVD in an actual player instead of my XBMC HTPC that is kind enough to take the "don't skip" flag as an indication to not even autoplay the track in the first place, I regret it because one of those dreadful spots starts playing and I'm pressing buttons at random, hoping that one of them isn't blocked.

That's not all, but it should be reason enough to understand why I don't feel like "Hey, movie industry! You treat me like I'm a piece of shit? Why don't you let me appreciate that by giving you all my money and supporting your new standard that you try shoving down my throat?"

Don't forget, music lovers actually managed to fight back DRM. Movie people are idiots and because of it the next 4K standard will be even worse if anything. I don't think there is a single movie that you can't download as a BD rip. So what exactly are they doing all that to their customers for (plus the things most people will actually notice like immense wait times for no other reason than that the stupid player is doing some system verification check in the background and software players that will pop up an update window every single time they are started)?

Oh sorry if I got a little agitated there but that "how could you" of yours kinda ticked me off ;)

That was more text than I expected. o_O

That was more text than I expected. o_O

Yeah well, you asked ;) The TL;DR version would be: There's more than one good reason.

(unlike Blu-rays unfortunately where I am not aware of a single movie that chose to abjure evil).

I still keep my hopes up for the 2PP DFA documentary Blu-ray. Don't let me down, 2PP!

(unlike Blu-rays unfortunately where I am not aware of a single movie that chose to abjure evil).

I still keep my hopes up for the 2PP DFA documentary Blu-ray. Don't let me down, 2PP!

Oh it'll happen. My hope is that they include the sidequests, even if it needs to come on a separate disc.

Sign in to follow this