Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

So which side will you be clicking on first?

Who will you start the game with?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you start the game with?

• Shay (Spaceship Boy)
    • Vella (Sacrifice Girl)
    • I'ma flip a coin or something on the day

I've sort of been envisioning how I'll start to play this game for some time now, so I wondered how other people felt about approaching their first play. And it's less than two weeks away now... so...

I've sort of got this picture in my head and it always starts with Vella. I don't know why, there's just something about that calm, pastoral setting that seems like it'll make for a good starting point. I have this picture in my head of starting with Vella, and then depending on whether the game lets me switch right away or I have to move the story along first, getting to a point where it feels right, narratively to break from it, and then switch over to Shay, which will be a comparatively frantic and visually comedic scene of his morning routine.

I'm sure it works to start with either, but for some reason I can't imagine doing it the other way around, now.

EDIT - SPOILER TAGS DIDN'T WORK! ALL MY SPOILERS ARE IN THE DOC, BUT IF YOU ARE AVOIDING EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I have no idea (so choose binary decision maker, aka coin flip). Originally it would have been boy since we saw so much more girl early on; but now we have seen more boy as well and Meriloft looks amazing. We also know the first two environments of the girl (Sugar Bunting and Meriloft) but only the first one for the boy (his spaceship). We know boy

leaves his ship (from the [tearful goodbye from the recording sessions)

and I wouldn't be surprised if that happens fairly early on. Seeing new places and people (boldy go?) is still a big part of why I love adventure games so there is more unknown to me (an avid documentary watcher) in the boys side.

And yet the girl's story looks so interesting I can't now want to see it; especially with the emphasis on the boy in the last month.

I feel like I want to explore the spaceship first. So I'll probably pick the boy first. :)

I don't know!

On one hand - SPACE! ice cream and cool mysterious wolf guy!

Oh the other hand - chick who got monster-fighting lessons from her Grandfather!*

Toss a coin :)

*I think? Now I can't remember where I read/saw that, but whatever.

Still can't decide whether to wait for the full release or not, but if I were to play I'd go Vella just so I could listen to the music.

Tough choice, I'm pretty interested in both.

I may go with Shay because I feel that we've seen a bit less of his side of the story so far, but I may also go with Vella because I'm also very curious about where her story goes.

I guess the closest answer would be a coin flip, but an even closer answer would be "Whatever feels right the moment I start the game up".

I'll probably go for Vella, but primarily because I think I'll enjoy Shay's story more and want to save the best for last. I love the spaceship setting and am quite intrigued by Marek. I think I'm only going to switch early if I'm really stuck at a Vella puzzle. I'd rather experience both stories as a whole, unless there are interconnected puzzles between the two of course.

I'm going Vella, because I want to see the sacrifice scene and also because I want to see Harm'ny Lightbeard in action.

I think the meatiest part of the story will involve Marek so I want to savour that and save it for later.

By the way, if we pick one side and then want to switch to the other, does the game return to the opening screen with one side empty? Or does it just go straight into the other character's story?

Does anyone know how that mechanic will work?

Re: Marek - It's only a hunch but you might want to look away if you're worried I might be correct ....

...but I have an idea that Marek might be involved in both stories - and might actually be the thing that physically connects them. It's a hunch based on a few things:

1) The idea of a wolf visiting Shay on a ship always seemed weird, and I remember a clip where Shay asks Mom if she knows anything about a wolf or something, which suggest maybe he's not something that was on the ship all along - at the very least there's definitely something weird about his presence, right? So it seems plausible that he could be turning up in Vella's life, too, but maybe they haven't revealed that yet due to that being a spoilery thing to talk about.

2) I always remember that conversation where Chris Remo talks about the way in which the two worlds are linked. When we were talking about it on the forum a couple of people wanted clarification and he confirmed that it wasn't the fact that there were two stories that he thought could be confusing, but the manner in which the two worlds interacted - and that has always been the big mystery. I feel like Marek might be part of the answer because he seems like the big out-of-place element.

3) If you look really closely at the patterns in Marek's fur, it spells out 'I'm totally in Vella's world too, just so you know'

Re: Marek - It's only a hunch but you might want to look away if you're worried I might be correct ....

...but I have an idea that Marek might be involved in both stories - and might actually be the thing that physically connects them. It's a hunch based on a few things:

1) The idea of a wolf visiting Shay on a ship always seemed weird, and I remember a clip where Shay asks Mom if she knows anything about a wolf or something, which suggest maybe he's not something that was on the ship all along - at the very least there's definitely something weird about his presence, right? So it seems plausible that he could be turning up in Vella's life, too, but maybe they haven't revealed that yet due to that being a spoilery thing to talk about.

Duuuuuuuuude. That Marek is some kind of traveller who shows up on the ship (and didn't start there) seems rather obvious (he is showing up and recruiting Shay and he is not sent by Mom). That he is tied to girl whoever is jaw-drop-ingly awesome if you got that right. And at least with all we know so far, completely plausible.

Duuuuuuuuude. That Marek is some kind of traveller who shows up on the ship (and didn't start there) seems rather obvious (he is showing up and recruiting Shay and he is not sent by Mom).
I'd say there are still possible alternatives - we know that the ship is full of those weird animatronic friend things and various robots, so it seems possible that Marek is also a creation of the ship, though possibly one that has broken out of one of those hidden areas that Shay isn't supposed to be in, or lives there, which would explain why Shay hasn't encountered him before he starts snooping around where he doesn't belong.

So I think there's definitely an argument for 'Marek has always been on the ship,' I just don't think it's quite as likely as him being a mysterious newcomer. That and I just have this strong hunch about him being involved in Vella's story too, of course.

I just looove sci-fi, so i'm always in the mood for something in space

I was just thinking about something like this. Vella's world seems more fantasy and Shay's more sci-fi. I'm a fantasy dude so I'm going with 'er.

Right now, I'm more interested in Shay's story, so I'll go with Vella first, experiencing all the whacky characters that side of the story has to offer.

Shay's story will then be a huge treat for me, with the voice acting by Elijah Wood and Jennifer Hale...

So glad she isn't playing a tough soldier lady in this one. :D

As my whims take me, as always. It might be that one side looks prettier at that moment, or that I just want to hear Jennifer Hale or Elijah Wood's parts, or something else. Certainly looking forward to both though.

I'm going to be a dad in may, and me and my wife will know the sex of our baby on wednesday this week.

Since it's a very good timing (I can't play the game on tuesday) , I think it'll determine who i'm going to play first !

The other good news is that i'll have the rest of the afternoon to play the game.

(ps : sorry if my english is not perfect)

I'm going to be a dad in may, and me and my wife will know the sex of our baby on wednesday this week.

Since it's a very good timing (I can't play the game on tuesday) , I think it'll determine who i'm going to play first !

The other good news is that i'll have the rest of the afternoon to play the game.

Congratulations!

Sweet!

Congrats indeed! However, if your child is anything like both of my girls were; you won't know on the first ultrasound. :) Ah my wife was so upset because she didn't think there would be another ultrasound - until the doctor said "Don't worry, I'll just schedule one as medically-necessary, it'll be fine." haha

I'm going to hook up two mice to my computer, and click on both sides simultaneous.

Smiles

Vella. I saw SO much of Vella's side of things in the documentary and I'm really excited to try it out myself and fully appreciate that beautiful, beautiful art.

Sign in to follow this