• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
danpantheman

Bug reporting guidelines!

Welcome to the Broken Age Backer Beta release!

We have been working really hard to provide the best possible experience when you first play Broken Age, but sometimes some things slip through the cracks, which is probably why you are reading this post, which means you probably found a bug!

We very much encourage you to report any issues that you have found. So in order to streamline feedback and bugs we would like to

ask for your help in adhering to the following:

When reporting an issue:

- If you don’t think that your bug has been reported please create a new thread. Doing this will provide a nice clean platform for us to respond and track the issues effectively.

- Don’t report your new bug in a thread that was created for a different bug. This will most likely result in your bug getting lost in the shuffle.

Hopefully, if we all adhere to these guidelines we will be able to streamline and respond to everyone’s thoughts and issues quickly and efficiently.

There are also a few things that you can add when writing a bug that would help us to track down the issue.

- Screenshots! If the issue can be seen in a screenshot this will help us to see exactly what is going on and where very quickly!

- Providing us with save files can be extremely useful as well, but you cannot attach them on the forums, but you can email them to us at support@doublefine.com

- Your systems specs (DXdiag, mac system report, sudo lshw -html > specs.html) information will also help a lot so we can try and reproduce the issue here.

- If you are sending something to us, please describe the issue in full in the email or link to the forum thread.

Currently, we are still testing the game along side of you, so this is really like one big team effort!

Thank you!

I know Daniel didn't ask for more information, but in the interests of making Broken Age as awesome as possible, I wanted to add a little bit more based on my experience as both a developer and games tester. I'm sure DF will be super happy with whatever you supply them with, but I know for a fact that the following information is UBER useful (especially if your lead developer is German). So if you want be REALLY helpful, my advice is to include the following in your bug report:

What happened?: e.g. "The game crashed."

What did you do prior to this happening?: e.g. "I tried giving the Magical Kitten to the Dragon."

That's usually enough for a developer to try and set about fixing things, but if you really want to be extra, extra, extra helpful, you could try finding the cause first. (This is what professional games testers do.)

Taking the above example: Does the game ALWAYS crash if you give the Magical Kitten to the Dragon? Or does it happen only sometimes? If it's sometimes, is there something else that's causing it? Does talking to the Dragon first mean that it crashes when you try to give the Kitten to him? Information like that will hugely decrease the amount of time spent in fixing the issue.

There are times, however, when you can't repeat the bug no matter what you do. It's always worth mentioning that you couldn't repeat the problem if that's the case. And if you could repeat it, explain how:

How can it be repeated?: e.g. "First talk to the Dragon (doesn't matter what you say). Then try giving him the Magical Kitten. The game will alway crash."

Bung a couple of screenshots (F12 in Steam), your system specifications (if you have no idea what that means, you can grab them from Steam: Just go to HELP and SYSTEM INFORMATION), and a savegame (if possible), and I'm sure every developer at DF will happily be naming their firstborn after you.

That's it! :)

Remember: If you want the bug to be fixed, you really need to give the developer as much information as you can. There's no point in just saying "My game crashed!!!" because the poor dev has no idea how to go about repeating your experience. If you can say: "I tried to steal the Wizard's Staff by clicking on it when his back was turned, and then my game crashed." that's more helpful.

But it's even more helpful to say: "The game crashed when I tried to steal the Wizard's Staff, but I noticed that it only happens when I have the Magical Kitten in my inventory." (You can bet your bottom dollar that the dev will fix a bug that has a description like that.)

Bung a couple of screenshots (F12 in Steam)

Be mindful of this if you're not a regular Steam screenshot taker. Steam will ask you if you want to publish your screenshots to your public account when you exit out of the game. It's pretty easy to miss or otherwise just click through. What with trying to keep spoilers off the net till full release, accidents may happen.

It could be useful if you'd add post the locations the save games are stored in to this post

It could be useful if you'd add post the locations the save games are stored in to this post

Running the Steam version on Linux, your saves would be located at:

/home//.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Broken Age/saves

Running the Steam version on Windows, your saves would be located at:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Broken Age\saves

Hopefully Mac users can post their corresponding location here in this thread too.

You can also find your save files by going into Steam, right-clicking Broken Age, then selecting Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files. This will open a folder view of that location. Your game saves are located inside the Saves folder.

Should I report a repeating bug/crash that got fixed with a simple reinstall of the game or is that considered not so important?

Hopefully Mac users can post their corresponding location here in this thread too.

/Users/$USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Broken Age/saves

Should I report a repeating bug/crash that got fixed with a simple reinstall of the game or is that considered not so important?

Every bug is important. :-)

On a mac it is saved under:

/User/UserName/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Broken Age/saves

Sign in to follow this