• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Localization Bugs

Hey guys, as we said in the Kickstarter update, we'd love to have your help tracking down localization bugs! We were able to get French, Italian, German, and Spanish translations in for Act 1, but it was pretty much the very last thing to go in. We’re in the middle of localization testing right now and are also leveraging bilingual Double Finers, but this amount of eyeballs will be truly helpful. We’ve created this sticky post specifically for this, so let us know about any misspellings, missing characters, or lines that are being cut off! Danke!

Hey Greg, I'm bilingual (Italian and English) with some experience with pro translation and I'd like to help if I can find the time.

I'll probably play Act I in English first, and later on in Italian. When reporting localization bugs, do I cram them all in a single bug report? Also, do you need context for each line (such as a screenshot), or is it enough to give you a list of broken lines and the correct ones right next to them?

e.g.,

[shay, in spaceship, upon meeting Marek]: "Mama mia!" -> "Mamma mia!" (misspelling)

OR

"Mama mia!" -> "Mamma mia!" (misspelling)

Hi there! If you want to group similar bugs together into one post, like spelling errors, that would be great. As for context, I don't need too much (unless it's a line of dialog that gets repeated a lot). Screenshots are helpful, but not necessary.

Like this is fine! :)

[shay, in spaceship, upon meeting Marek]: "Mama mia!" -> "Mamma mia!" (misspelling)

[GERMAN]

1. [Graphical localization] [Vellas House, Interior]

The "Congrats" Banner is not translated. Should read "Glückwunsch" or something similar.

2. [Car'l, in the clouds, after loosing her knife]

eng. phrase: "I'm sunk". Current translation: "Ich bin eingesunken". --> Way too literal translation, not the right meaning. Should be "Ich bin verloren!" or something like that.

Hey team, is there a way we can get a hold of the subtitle script so we have a better overview and can go ahead and submit suggestions and comments/corrections? I saw a couple of examples in the German subtitles that were translated a bit too literal (I get the feeling that's most often the only problem with the translations as I haven't come across any typos so far - at least in the German text). Would be good to have some document to work on if possible.

Hi,

[French]

[shay, Spaceship, When using the air tank on the characters stuck in icecream avalanche] There is no subtitle line for "We're stuck in icecream, we're not drowning" it should be something like "Nous sommes bloqués dans une glace pas en train de nous noyer"

Okay, I'll try it this way for now then:

[Vella in clouds, talking to birds] Hi Birdie, wanna give me a lift -> "...würdest du mir einen Flug schenken?" sounds rather weird. I'd suggest: "...kannst du mich mitnehmen?"

[GERMAN]

The "Congrats" Banner is not translated. Should read "Glückwunsch" or something similar.

2. [Car'l, in the clouds, after loosing her knife]

eng. phrase: "I'm sunk". Current translation: "Ich bin eingesunken". --> Way too literal translation, not the right meaning. Should be "Ich bin verloren!" or something like that.

+1 :)

Both suggestions sound right to me and make sense.

[GERMAN]

This has already been fixed. Unfortunately, there were a bunch of fixes that were made too late to be included in the backer release. Thanks for reporting it! :)

Hey team, is there a way we can get a hold of the subtitle script so we have a better overview and can go ahead and submit suggestions and comments/corrections? I saw a couple of examples in the German subtitles that were translated a bit too literal (I get the feeling that's most often the only problem with the translations as I haven't come across any typos so far - at least in the German text). Would be good to have some document to work on if possible.

In a perfect world we'd be able to send out our script. Unfortunately, we cannot do this. Thanks for your interest, and if we ever can send out a script, we'll let you know! :)

Hey, i'm Stefano, i work for Synthesis International (Game Localization), i'm an Italian Localization Tester, i'll try to find the typical translation errors in Broken Age at my best... but, i also want to enjoy my playthrough so i will focus only on Mismatches or Grammatical errors, i won't check the "translation style" errors (at least for now, also because without having a textfile is pretty hard to check english-italian only watching the cutscenes).

I just want this game to be perfect also in italian so... let's start!

[iTALIAN] Shay - Spaceship

He says: "Missioni annullate fino a ulteriore avviso" but on the display the writing is: "Missioni annullate fino a ulteriore notifica"

I Suggest to change the Shay line: "Missioni annullate fino a ulteriore avviso..."

In: "Missioni annullate fino a ulteriore notifica..."

Hi there. Malena, quick question, as I don't remember: the Spanish loc. is done with Spanish from Spain, or Latino? Pardon the ignorance, I just want to make sure what I'm correcting (native teacher in Spain, EUROPE).

[iTALIAN] Teleporter - Spaceship - Hall of Heroes

Current line: "Posso teletraspotarti a Nexus?"

Suggested line: "Posso teletrasportarti al Nexus?"

Nexus is not a name of a "place" but a central hub like an "Incrocio" or "Crocevia" in italian, i suggest using "al" instead of "a" because of this.

[iTALIAN] Shay - Spaceship Airlock sign

Current line: "Camera d'equilibrio"

Suggested line: "Camera stagna" (as Shay says in the voice over line when you click on the sign)

The other way this bug can be fixed is changing the Shay line from "Camera stagna" to "Camera d'equilibrio" to match the sign.

The two translations for Airlock are both correct

Two things (French Localisation) :

-When we speak to the guy and his son in the Cloud Colony we can pick a sentence finishing by "Mog Chortha veut manger tout". The sentence is not finished (no comma). When we pick it Vella says something much longer.

-When Vella speaks to the shoe lady (Cloud Colony), we can pick "je te demande pardon !". It's not incorrect though it sounds a little bit weird (more like "pardon me"). I feel like "Désolé !" is more appropriate or "Je suis désolé !".

Great game by the way :).

[iTALIAN]

Spaceship - Teleporter:

Sometime when you use one of the three teleporters, it yells "Hang on!" that is translated in "Un attimo!". I suggest to use "Tieniti forte!" instead.

[iTALIAN]

Spaceship - Teleporter:

Sometime when you use one of the three teleporters, it yells "Hang on!" that is translated in "Un attimo!". I suggest to use "Tieniti forte!" instead.

That's not correct. "Hang on" just means wait, stop, not "tenere"

I suggest changing the line from "Un attimo" to "Un momento" or "Aspetta"

Tieniti forte is a translation of: "Hold on to your hat" or "Hold on"

in italiano: Forse ti confondi con Hold On, perché Hang on vuol dire solo e solamente aspetta, attendi, un momento, fermo etc.

Aggrapparsi è "Hang on to something", hang on da solo non vuol dire aggrapparsi.

meanwhile... another bug

[iTALIAN] Shay - Spaceship - Sweets room

Current Line: "Quando mangi solo dolcetti e caramelle tutto il santo giorno, arrivi a un punto dove non ti piacciono più."

Suggested Line: "Quando mangi solo dolcetti e caramelle tutto il santo giorno, arrivi al punto in cui non ti piacciono più."

"Dove" is used mostly for places, "punto" here is not a place but a moment of your life :)

In a perfect world we'd be able to send out our script. Unfortunately, we cannot do this. Thanks for your interest, and if we ever can send out a script, we'll let you know! :)

Thanks Malena, I had a feeling it might not be possible. I'll try and submit whatever I come across, though.

[iTALIAN]

Spaceship - Teleporter:

That's not correct. "Hang on" just means wait, stop, not "tenere"

I suggest changing the line from "Un attimo" to "Un momento" or "Aspetta"

Tieniti forte is a translation of: "Hold on to your hat" or "Hold on"

in italiano: Forse ti confondi con Hold On, perché Hang on vuol dire solo e solamente aspetta, attendi, un momento, fermo etc.

Aggrapparsi è "Hang on to something", hang on da solo non vuol dire aggrapparsi.

meanwhile... another bug

[iTALIAN] Shay - Spaceship - Sweets room

Current Line: "Quando mangi solo dolcetti e caramelle tutto il santo giorno, arrivi a un punto dove non ti piacciono più."

Suggested Line: "Quando mangi solo dolcetti e caramelle tutto il santo giorno, arrivi al punto in cui non ti piacciono più."

"Dove" is used mostly for places, "punto" here is not a place but a moment of your life :)

Yes, it's better like you said :)

[italian]

[shay, on the main deck, I think] He says: "Fratello!" (the literal Italian translation for "brother"), but Shay's just annoyed! We don't say "Fratello" in this context! You should try "Cavoli!"

[Vella, during the Feast scene] The writing on her dress is "Acchippami", but there's an "a" missing. Should be: "Acchiappami"

[italian]

[shay, on the main deck, I think] He says: "Fratello!" (the literal Italian translation for "brother"), but Shay's just annoyed! We don't say "Fratello" in this context! You should try "Cavoli!"

brother especially American English

used to show you are annoyed or surprised:

"Oh, brother - I really don't want to deal with this now."

I suggest using: "Fantastico..." that's a more correct translation than "cavoli" :)

@Malena or @DF Greg

What about opening a new "official" Localization bug Thread for every language? I think that will be much less confusing :)

p.s. going to sleep now

Two things (French Localisation) :

-When we speak to the guy and his son in the Cloud Colony we can pick a sentence finishing by "Mog Chortha veut manger tout". The sentence is not finished (no comma). When we pick it Vella says something much longer.

I think this has been fixed now. Just yesterday, we shortened the text of the dialog tree option because it was getting cut off. In English, the text option that appears on-screen in the dialog tree matches exactly what Vella says. However, the French dialog tree option text was shortened. I'll add it to my list of things to check!

Current French text:

Dialog tree text: Je me suis échappée du banquet et Mog Chothra veut manger tout mon village !

Vella subtitle: Je me suis échappée du banquet des demoiselles et maintenant Mog Chothra veut manger tout mon village !

Hi there. Malena, quick question, as I don't remember: the Spanish loc. is done with Spanish from Spain, or Latino? Pardon the ignorance, I just want to make sure what I'm correcting (native teacher in Spain, EUROPE).

Castilian Spanish. However, please avoid any word suggestions that would be considered vulgar or offensive in Latin American Spanish. Thanks for asking!

Hi,

[French]

[shay, Spaceship, When using the air tank on the characters stuck in icecream avalanche] There is no subtitle line for "We're stuck in icecream, we're not drowning" it should be something like "Nous sommes bloqués dans une glace pas en train de nous noyer"

Huh. No subtitle appears at all? That sounds like a bug of a different sort. I have text for all languages for those 2 lines.

We're stuck in ice cream. / On est pris dans la crème glacée.

We're not drowning. / On ne se noie pas.

Can you repro and attach a screenshot? If not, I can add it to my list of things to check.

[German]

Here's what I've found so far:

1. [Car'l] "Ich bin eingesunken" -- already been reported, but would suggest "ich bin ruiniert" or "ich bin erledigt" since she's talking about her livelihood.

2. [Vella, talking to Curtis about the boarded-up fireplace] "weil das so viel mehr Sinn macht", should be "weil das so viel mehr Sinn ergibt" ("Sinn machen" is generally considered bad style.)

3. [Vella, talking to the Shellmound maidens] "Frag ihr euch denn nie, ob es einen anderen Weg gibt?", should be "Fragt ihr euch denn (...)"

4. [Vella, finding driftwood] "Driftwood. So smooth." is translated as "Treibholz. So sanft." Sanft doesn't make much sense; Curtis uses the (fitting) "geschmeidig" when the piece is handed to him.

5. [spaceweaver, having been given a star chart] "Rotational Velocity" appears to be translated only with "Geschwindigkeit" rather than "Rotationsgeschwindigkeit".

6. [Dialogue with Computer when attempting to enter a locked room] "Working on a surprise for you" - "What is it?"; "What is it" translated as "Was ist los?". In the context of the dialogue, this should be "Was ist es?" or "Was denn?".

Obviously not done yet, but have to praise the localization so far. Very good job, especially with some difficult wordplay.