Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Backer Beta Coming TOMORROW!

" date="1389674858"]

I'm sure you realize, but I'd also like to point out that I would really appreciate a DRM free build of Act 1 without having to wait for all of the game :) I don't have Steam, and I am not a fan, so it would be cool if I could get to play the game DRM free when Act 1 is released to the world.

Yes, I'm another "DRM free backer" and I feel the same way.

It's not necessarily ideal, but can't you just install Steam, play the game and then uninstall it?

Argh, I work all night tomorrow! And I can't play this without my wife. That means when I get home from work I won't be able to play! Argh!

" date="1389674858"]I'm sure you realize, but I'd also like to point out that I would really appreciate a DRM free build of Act 1 without having to wait for all of the game :) I don't have Steam, and I am not a fan, so it would be cool if I could get to play the game DRM free when Act 1 is released to the world.

I also have to back that request. I really would like to play the game I've waited for all this time but I won't install Steam for it.

Think of steam as a line of protection at the moment. For the initial period it at least slows piracy and leaking of not final code. As soon as the DRM free copies are up its game over in that regard. I get steam can be a clunky piece of **** a lot of the time especially on Mac and Linux, but its probably the best form of keeping things kind of safe for the time being.

Oh my God, it's happening, it's coming! I'm so excited. That new trailer is utterly gorgeous! Also great to hear that we'll also get the soundtrack and documentary downloads this month. I wasn't expecting those until after the release of act 2.

As I tweeted the other day, it's been an absolute honour watching this game grow. Congratulations to everyone in the team, you guys rock!

In relation to the Steam issue people seem to be having, I'm a proud owner of over 200 games on Steam. I hate using everything else. Any games that I have which are DRM free, get added to my steam list as a non Steam game. If you noticed I put owned, the reason for that is because valve have stated that should they ever go out of business (highly unlikely), then would unlock all the games to be used any time you like :-) It's got an adaptable memory footprint so it will release memory if anything else needs it and it's just a downright easy place to launch all your games.

But anyway, well done again guys!

I think the nature of beta is bugfixing, and with steam you just can push patch after patch after patch as soon as you have some issues fixed, send it out. You dont have that sort of conection to DRM free players.

The Steam Protection can and will be cracked. You don´t have to like it, but thats just what will happen. People that dont want to pay just will not... but with the amount of hype around this i am certain there will be enough people to pay so the game can continue at it´s current scale and even bring good profit in the end. :)

I also can't wait to play this game!!! I have played just about every adventure Tim's worked on and have so many fond memories!

This one looks to top them all! Great job team!

I'm sitting here with a goofy smile on my face thinking about downloading the release tomorrow. Very exciting! Congratulations, everyone at Double-Fine. What a huge accomplishment!

Incidentally, I visited my Humble Bundle account the other day and it had picked up the fact that I was a backer from my email and offered to add the 'Broken Age Widget' to my purchase history. The store page is just sitting there with nothing on it but a note about what will be available later but I've already claimed the page for me.

GAHHHH!!! It just disappeared! Should've kept my mouth shut. Oh well. Guess I'm waitin' for an email.

Seth B.

To some people the installation of Steam means a lapse in their personal boycott of DRM.

Some people have an ethical objection to the very concept of DRM. While I don't maintain this position myself, many do. It's a valid position.

When they backed this game they were told it was DRM-free. Not to sound melodramatic, but to tell them that they have to install Steam now or be left out of the fun (including the documentary because of spoilers) until the full game is released at some indeterminate time in the future seems like a betrayal to me.

To some people the installation of Steam means a lapse in their personal boycott of DRM.

Some people have an ethical objection to the very concept of DRM. While I don't maintain this position myself, many do. It's a valid position.

When they backed this game they were told it was DRM-free. Not to sound melodramatic, but to tell them that they have to install Steam now or be left out of the fun (including the documentary because of spoilers) until the full game is released at some indeterminate time in the future seems like a betrayal to me.

They said the final release would be DRM free. It's the steam auto update system especially for the beta that makes it easy to do through steam.

Here is what you backed.

The finished game in all of its awesome glory DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux, or via Steam for PC and Mac, exclusive access to the Beta on Steam, access to the video series, and access the private discussion community.

I would agree that things changed a bit, but no real reason to scream betrail.

So even though I did not back the kickstarted, because I became a backer (When I preordered and got access to the forums) I'mgetting access to the beta tomorrow?

So even though I did not back the kickstarted, because I became a backer (When I preordered and got access to the forums) I'mgetting access to the beta tomorrow?
Yes. Everyone who got in so far will get a key.

I didn't know you could get the documentary sound track. What backer tier is that I really want it :(

Here is what you backed.

The finished game in all of its awesome glory DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux, or via Steam for PC and Mac, exclusive access to the Beta on Steam, access to the video series, and access the private discussion community.

Who's screaming? I made a clear and calm point and I stand by it.

Omg omg ! I usually love when I receive an email from you guys, since it's usually a new amazing episode of the documentary, but this time I just can't wait !

The trailer looks great, and you all deserve exceptional congratulations for going through and delivering the first part of the game.

Who's screaming? I made a clear and calm point and I stand by it.

But you said something wrong, why do you stand by it, after somebody corrects you?

Anyway lets not fight im way too excited for this game :D :D :D

I second this position. Not being a steam-hater myself - I have a steam account with very few games - I still understand and support what zaskaggs pointed out in his post.

If you are a person with an ethical standpoint against DRM, you will not be able to participate in anything happening from now on without being spoiled, which is, as we all will surely agree, the worst case scenario with a game like this.

(I have to admit that "betrayal" is a pretty harsh word though)

It's been known since the very beginning that the beta would be handled through Steam. Betas usually get lots of patches, and it's fairly easy for developers to push patches through Steam and get them to the end user quickly and often.

I think nobody is screaming betrail yet.

My point is that I had hoped to join the fun when the game is released and everybody is unlocking its secrets and talking about it on the forums and so on.

Now I have to sit in a corner for the next 4 to 5 months and can't participate in any discussions. I have to make sure that I don't stumble across a review or read a spoiler somewhere. That's no fun at all. On top of that I can't watch the next episodes of the documentary which have been the highlights of my recent months.

The only problem I see here is that you end up having to wait until Act 2 to get the DRM free version. And yes, it does suck that those who refuse to use Steam to play Act I risk spoilers until they get to Act 2. But it hardly constitutes a 'betrayal'. I've never viewed double fine as a champion of DRM-Free software. I don't think it should have been expected to be offered up at every turn especially when things got complicated with the split into two acts. They never promised act 1 as DRM free so I don't think anything has been betrayed. It sucks, it's unpleasent maybe, but let's not call out Judas here!

Seth B.

I think nobody is screaming betrail yet.

My point is that I had hoped to join the fun when the game is released and everybody is unlocking its secrets and talking about it on the forums and so on.

Now I have to sit in a corner for the next 4 to 5 months and can't participate in any discussions. I have to make sure that I don't stumble across a review or read a spoiler somewhere. That's no fun at all. On top of that I can't watch the next episodes of the documentary which have been the highlights of my recent months.

Why boycott steam though? I find that so pedantic and annyoing to be honest. There are worthier causes to get invested in and if you really really have to boycott steam then you have to live with the consequences imho.

If youre going on a hunger you cant complain about not getting enough food.

The only problem I see here is that you end up having to wait until Act 2 to get the DRM free version. And yes, it does suck that those who refuse to use Steam to play Act I risk spoilers until they get to Act 2. But it hardly constitutes a 'betrayal'. I've never viewed double fine as a champion of DRM-Free software. I don't think it should have been expected to be offered up at every turn especially when things got complicated with the split into two acts. They never promised act 1 as DRM free so I don't think anything has been betrayed. It sucks, it's unpleasent maybe, but let's not call out Judas here!

Seth B.

Also double fine almost never activates the DRM protection of steam. You could always download it through steam and copy the game to another folder and remove steam.

Sign in to follow this