Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Backer Beta Coming TOMORROW!

Way excited :-)

Greg & Team Reds: Thanks hugely for the simultaneous platform release, from fans in the Linux gaming community! I can't express how much we appreciate being taken seriously. It's a big deal for us.

I see Polygon was nice enough to leak it instead of waiting for the press release.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/13/5305556/broken-age-release-steam-early-access

Think it's the same guy that also leaked the last time and made it sound extra bad for news worthiness.

I thought that was Matt Helgeson from Game Informer.

Even if DF hadn't made that promise it still seems a bit unethical to publish something that DF essentially asked be off the record until the press release. Especially for an organization posing as a serious journalistic endeavor. They can't even show a little common courtesy by respecting DF's wishes.

Every single popular gaming outlet does that when they PERSONALLY didn't agree to an "off the record" conversation. Even RPS with their much-better-than-average respect for developers' wishes sometimes reposts inside info clearly not meant for public.

What if Polygon had numerous anonymous tips about this? Should they ignore them too? Should they ignore all tips until they get cleared by publishers PR department? etc.

At least they didn't skew facts this time - this is much more important for Double Fine IMHO, and we didn't even have to correct them in comments section...

Wow, so those jerks at Polygon just removed my comment calling them out on their bullshit, as well as everything following it. Yet their story is still there. I was a bit miffed about them posting the story in the first place, but I am PISSED about the censorship going on there.

Honestly? Can't wait.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

237.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

lucille-buth-excited.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Daily-Life-GIFs-20-Guy-Screaming-at-Another-Guy.gif

(I'm a bit more than reasonably excited)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

You know,... I really can't believe it. Totally shocked. I even stopped watching the backer video's because I thought this game would never come out. I bought The Cave and I was impressed by the delightful implementation so I was really looking forward to this. But it was taking sooooo loooong.

Tim your whimsical musing's were wonderful to listen but I wasn't sure a game would eventuate from it. My hat's off to you man and you have made me a believer. Amazing work by all the team to get us a playable beta. Given our unique access, I have some idea of how much work is involved and the painful evolutions of this game from a financial perspective. Watching you guys painstakingly build the picture of the game then flesh out all the technology and tools to deliver it was incredible. I am pretty sure this will go down in history as the most detailed picture of game development we have ever seen.

Congratulations to all of you for the hard work, you deserve it. I am looking forward to playing this.

Thank You.

You know,... I really can't believe it. Totally shocked. I even stopped watching the backer video's because I thought this game would never come out.

Tim your whimsical musing's were wonderful to listen but I wasn't really sure a game would eventuate from it. My hat's off to you man. Amazing work by all the team to get us a playable beta. Given our unique access, I have some idea of how much work is involved and the painful evolutions of this game from a financial perspective. Watching you guys painstakingly build the picture of the game then flesh out all the technology and tools to deliver it was incredible. I am pretty sure this will go down in history as the most detailed picture of game development we have ever seen.

Congratulations to all of you for the hard work, you deserve it. I am looking forward to playing this.

Thank You.

How dare you doubt Tim?! The man is responsible for the best adventure games ever!

How dare you doubt Tim?! The man is responsible for the best adventure games ever!

Tim and everyone who works with him are responsible, it's not *just* Tim. While the creative output and ideas come from his genius, getting them to an actual working product is a huge team effort. As you have seen its not an easy process. Quite a few indie gaming companies never make it. So I stand by what I said, very well done guys.

Huh, looks like it wasn't Polygon that broke the story, it was Game Informer - https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/01/13/broken-age-arrives-tomorrow-for-backers-skipping-early-access.aspx

Polygon used the same quote, so basically they just reposted what GI wrote.

Edit: No, my bad, it really was the other way around. They probably use timestamps from different timezones or Polygon updated the article after posting. Anyway, now it looks like Game Informer was first even though it wasn't.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride. I can't wait to try Act 1 tomorrow.

Holy smokes, that trailer gave me major chills!

Question, is the Backer Beta tomorrow going to be Mac compatible? I seem to remember that the Beta was going to be PC-only.

From our email: 'So tomorrow, you’ll receive a Humble Bundle link to a page that will contain your PC/Mac/Linux Steam code'

Huh, looks like it wasn't Polygon that broke the story, it was Game Informer - https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/01/13/broken-age-arrives-tomorrow-for-backers-skipping-early-access.aspx

Polygon used the same quote, so basically they just reposted what GI wrote.

Edit: No, my bad, it really was the other way around. They probably use timestamps from different timezones or Polygon updated the article after posting. Anyway, now it looks like Game Informer was first even though it wasn't.

Yeah, GI is pointing the finger elsewhere:

Haven't really been active but I'm willing to bet the guy from GI who posted this is the same person who did the story in the magazine that appeared really early on in the documentary. He said he was a backer... So yeah.

Quick question: Do slacker backers also get access to the full DRM-free version (in addition the Steam version) when it comes out? I stupidly did not find out about the Kickstarter campaign until well after it was over.

Quick question: Do slacker backers also get access to the full DRM-free version (in addition the Steam version) when it comes out? I stupidly did not find out about the Kickstarter campaign until well after it was over.

Yeah. Slacker backers get the exact same stuff as the people that backed the Kickstarter campaign at the $15 tier.

Yeah. Slacker backers get the exact same stuff as the people that backed the Kickstarter campaign at the $15 tier.

Good to know. Thanks!

'Grats on release on act 1 release.

Looks like you guys went all in on this game and far exceeded expectations for production values.

Can't wait to play it tomorrow.

I was tempted to stay up late, and then realised I'd have to stay up until 4am EST, not a mere another hour or so.

Haven't really been active but I'm willing to bet the guy from GI who posted this is the same person who did the story in the magazine that appeared really early on in the documentary. He said he was a backer... So yeah.

The preview was by Tim Turi.

Today's story with the leaked quote is by Mike Futter. He claims on twitter that the story was already leaked before they covered it and they contacted DF before running it so not much finger pointing to do there.

To some people the installation of Steam means a lapse in their personal boycott of DRM.

Some people have an ethical objection to the very concept of DRM. While I don't maintain this position myself, many do. It's a valid position.

When they backed this game they were told it was DRM-free. Not to sound melodramatic, but to tell them that they have to install Steam now or be left out of the fun (including the documentary because of spoilers) until the full game is released at some indeterminate time in the future seems like a betrayal to me.

Here is what you backed.

The finished game in all of its awesome glory DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux, or via Steam for PC and Mac, exclusive access to the Beta on Steam, access to the video series, and access the private discussion community.

I would agree that things changed a bit, but no real reason to scream betrail.

betrail !

The Future is Trains.

but yes once people calm down a little bit and look at things though the looking glass of actual facts then they should realise there is no betrayal happening here whatsoever. as linked the DRM free version is of the completed game (which will be out later in the year) and that DRM freeness did not ever include the beta.

Anyhoo, it's tomorrow right now where I am and i'm ever so excited.

I don't mind not having early/beta-access to the game. After all, that was clear from the start. I do kinda mind not having access to the final version of Act I. After all, if people who aren't backers can buy it on Steam, surely it is the final or at least ready-for-release version?

So yeah, this is somewhat annoying. I wish DF would put Act I onto e.g. GOG once the beta ended (that January 27th date?) -- I don't see how that inconveniences them, and on the flip side, it'll bring in more sales. If there really is going to be no DRM-free version until the entire Act II is done, that's doing to be one long ass wait. In that case, I'll probably watch the documentary anyway and ignore all spoilertags. I haven't got the patience to cover my ears all the time. Less than perfect, but what isn't, these days.

uhm... yeah... waiting sucks!

C'mon tomorrow... get here already!

I haven't posted before, but I just wanted to come in an congratulate the whole team on making it to this milestone! The new trailer looks awesome. I'm so excited to experience the first part of something great! I'll be glued to my inbox tomorrow!

Sign in to follow this