Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Backer Beta Coming TOMORROW!

Congrats to Double Fine for getting it this far and congrats to us for getting the first instalment!

This is going to be AMAZING!

This is fantastic!!!!

It's already the 14th where I am, and the suspense is killing me. Why can't DF be located in New Zealand or on Fakaofo... or on a boat by the date line!!!

Hopefully it will be out by the time i get home from work.

Congratulations to all, this will truly be a historical day in gaming history.

Can't wait. But I guess I'll wait until the weekend to play it, since I'm usually quite tired after work :(

AMAZING!!! I can't wait!!! Is the Backer Beta multilanguage Italian included?? :D

sì, certo. (i sottotitoli)

To some people the installation of Steam means a lapse in their personal boycott of DRM.

Some people have an ethical objection to the very concept of DRM. While I don't maintain this position myself, many do. It's a valid position.

When they backed this game they were told it was DRM-free. Not to sound melodramatic, but to tell them that they have to install Steam now or be left out of the fun (including the documentary because of spoilers) until the full game is released at some indeterminate time in the future seems like a betrayal to me.

I second this position. Not being a steam-hater myself - I have a steam account with very few games - I still understand and support what zaskaggs pointed out in his post.

If you are a person with an ethical standpoint against DRM, you will not be able to participate in anything happening from now on without being spoiled, which is, as we all will surely agree, the worst case scenario with a game like this.

(I have to admit that "betrayal" is a pretty harsh word though)

I agree, i'm disappointed, i chose to support DRM-free games and stopped using steam for new games I buy. One of the way to do this was kickstarter and all the DRM-free promises.

Now i'm a little disappointed by the fact that depsite all the wait, i won't be able to play Broken Age until the episode 2 is released. It is a choice from Double Fine, and yes the DRM-free promise in the project was actually the full game but... Learning this the day before the release when nobody never bother to mention this detail is a disappointment. Maybe if i knew this from the start it wouldn't have been but it is.

Now I feel that DRM-free is still "a detail to make a few hippies happy" even for developpers like DF, and THIS is disappointing.

Anyway, have fun with Broken Age !

Go go backers! Find all the bugs, so I could later enjoy flawless version :D I count on you! ;)

You know the funny thing is the more i think about it, the more I see "The day boy and the night girl" by George Macdonald. It gives me the same vibe as that book, which is a good thing.

Hi all i do not post very often, I am so looking forward to this game !!! I am a slacker backer and the documentary was awesome and worth the money alone , cant wait to play the game. Such a great reward for true point and click adventures. I do have steam ,will we get a separate e-mail for the code ? and at what time ? I am US central time may be stupid questions but it is 1/14/2014 lol,,, My Birthday is 1/15/1969 early present for me... been playing games from the first pong Blip , Bloop. Blip. Funny story my dad bought it when we were young we had the only video game in the neighborhood everyone huddled in our back bedroom to try their turn. My brother got the smart Idea to start gambling ring with the game LOL $1.00 was wagered every game, one day Dad decided to come home early for lunch from work and we were BUSTED !!!!! He took it away for 2 weeks during the summer .... So funny, strange and rewarding to see how far gaming has come.

Thank you Double Fine !!!!

For the record Brutal Legend is still one of my favorite games of all time !!!!

If you are a person with an ethical standpoint against DRM, you will not be able to participate in anything happening from now on without being spoiled, which is, as we all will surely agree, the worst case scenario with a game like this.

Which you knew ahead of time, since the beta being only on Steam was known as far back as the kickstarter.

Why do people expect boycotting things to not mean personal sacrifice? Seriously.

The thing is, this isn't really a beta. This is simply a two-part game. According to Greg himself: "Act 1 is a polished and satisfying piece of content in its own right". This a product that non-backers are going to be able to purchase and play soon.

Just to clarify, the build you'll get to play tomorrow is a beta. Steam provides us a really convenient way to push fixes to you guys and ensure that you are playing the latest, most bug-free build. It's not really a matter of supporting DRM in any way.

The trailer was inspiring and I am looking forward to playing Act I. I'm just a little bit disappointed with Vella's voice (well quite a bit, actually). Apart from that detail (which, I think, almost kills immersion) everything else is fine. I'm sure the voice actress did her best and I don't mean to be insulting by voicing my opinion thus. Good luck to the "Reds" team!

After waiting all this time it feels a bit weird now that we are finally getting to play the game, well half of it anyway.

I hope this long journey was worth the destination, only a few hours to find out now…

Do point this out clearly: This is betrayal. I paid for a DRM free version. Im not stupid enough to install the DRM shit Steam on any of my PCs. So either you release the DRM free version now or I request my money back. Cant believe what a horrible case of betrayal I felt in. You are the worst developers I ever supported and from now on i never will support developers again before they release a complete product.

Do point this out clearly: This is betrayal. I paid for a DRM free version. Im not stupid enough to install the DRM shit Steam on any of my PCs. So either you release the DRM free version now or I request my money back. Cant believe what a horrible case of betrayal I felt in. You are the worst developers I ever supported and from now on i never will support developers again before they release a complete product.

It's not betrayal in my opinion. You will get what you paid for when act 2 is released.

7nq2m.gif

Step 1: Download Steam

Step 2: Install Broken Age

Step 3: Delete Steam

Step 4: Enjoy your DRM-free game!

My friend, try to take a few deep breaths and allow yourself to calm down.

You see, the game will still be available in DRM-free form upon its release, just like Double Fine promised us. They aren't betraying anyone; the thing is, THIS particular version of Broken Age is a beta build of a game in progress! That means there are likely to be frequent patches (of smaller size) for the game pushed out at near-constant intervals as backers and DF team members find and exterminate the last remaining bugs. You wouldn't want to have to redownload the (certain to be large in file size) game from scratch every single day, would you? I know I wouldn't! That's where Steam comes in handy here. It does keep the game only in the hands of backers, but more importantly, Steam allows DF to push updates to us at any time they want, a feature that is most useful while the game is still in development.

In summary: you're still getting what you paid for, as are all of us! Not only that, but as I've explained, there are some good reasons (even beyond what I mentioned) why using Steam is potentially helpful for DF.

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy the game when you get a chance! :)

You are the worst developers I ever supported and from now on i never will support developers again before they release a complete product.

Are you guys for real or the last newsletter was just another wake up call for trolls??...

I mean sure, some people are against digital stores for some reason, but Double Fine stated right in the Kickstarter you pledged your money for that pre-release will use Steam. So whether you support Steam or not, you already payed for it to be on Steam!

If they rename this pre-release to Act 1, or Beta, or Early-Access for marketing or technical reasons - this doesn't magically make it finished and complete product, and doesn't change the fact that this is not the game you pledged your money for. You pledged your money for finished game that will be DRM-free. That will be delivered in April (probably).

If I would want to be able to download the HD documentary, is it possible to somehow buy those as a slacker backer? I sadly missed the Kickstarter (I basically lived under a rock as you say during the kickstarter.) :)

But I would really like to have the documentary downloads. :)

7nq2m.gif

lol that burn gif

If I would want to be able to download the HD documentary, is it possible to somehow buy those as a slacker backer? I sadly missed the Kickstarter (I basically lived under a rock as you say during the kickstarter.) :)

But I would really like to have the documentary downloads. :)

You can download it just fine from Vimeo and Youtube as it is, there are numerous add-ons for chrome and firefox for that.

I doubt there is any real need for it to be even MORE HD, this award was just a token of appreciation for higher-paying backers.

7nq2m.gif

Woah there buddy this is a beta not the final game... I prefer DRM free as well but understand why they are doing it on steam fon pre release.

If they rename this pre-release to Act 1, or Beta, or Early-Access for marketing or technical reasons - this doesn't magically make it finished and complete product

Well, yes. It does. A beta is a beta, and when everyone can buy it, it's no longer a beta. So you can insist on reading the KS to the letter (and appear pedantic and self-opinionated), or consider doing a tiny little more than you promised, recognising that plans have changed -- and appear generous. Don't we all like to appear generous?

A beta is a beta, and when everyone can buy it, it's no longer a beta.

Ah, I see. Since absolutely everyone could already buy it from the very end of Kickstarter and up until very recently (till december 2013 or so) via slacker backer page, that surely must mean the game was out of beta and released two years ago.

And now that they stopped selling full Kickstarter package for everyone, and instead are planning to sell only vastly reduced package without documentary, forum access and full game - thus raising value for those who managed to become backers - now is a perfect time to feel betrayed. Right. Because they dared to keep their promise of putting pre-release only on Steam, and dared to rename this pre-release "Act 1". Simply an outrage.

I think almost everyone upset about the Steam-only DRM would be would be happy to admit that this is indeed a beta right up until the point that they place the product up for sale on Steam. Even then one could make the case that this is still a beta if it were going up on Steam early access.

It isn't though. It's going up on Steam as a full product which they don't intend to change in any major way from that point forward (according to the last episode of the documentary if I remember correctly). Later Act 2 will be released, effectively in the form of a (very substantial) free DLC.

I can't imagine a reason why Double Fine couldn't release a DRM-free version of Act 1 along with its debut on the Steam store or shortly thereafter. It would certainly make a lot of their fans very happy.

People, cant your read?

"You may recall that at one point Broken Age was planned for release under the Steam Early Access program. This is no longer the case. For various logistical reasons, and because we believe Act 1 is a polished and satisfying piece of content in its own right, Broken Age will be a standard Steam release that includes a “Season Pass” granting access to Act 2 once it is complete. Anyone who has Act 1—either by being a backer, or by buying the game separately—will receive Act 2 as a free update when it’s ready."

Act 1 isnt a Beta. Its the full product anyone could pay money for at Steam (cause you cant buy anything at Steam. You just give money for nothing). So I paid for the full products and now being forced to use the worst software distribution ever released. Im using Humble Budle for a reason. Cause of their support for software which isnt plagued by DRM. and Double Fine announced that Humble Bundle customers will get either the DRM plagued Steam version or the real version.

So its still nothing else then betrayal. And folks … learn to read! Cause if you have already learned to read, then you would know that Steam is just money for getting absolutely nothing. And therefor being a Steam customer is just a proof of a missing brain.

And BTW There is no difference in downloading updates by the client or that they are downloaded by Steam. Take a look at Minecraft or most other independent development. There is no point at all to betray paying customers.

If they rename this pre-release to Act 1, or Beta, or Early-Access for marketing or technical reasons - this doesn't magically make it finished and complete product

Well, yes. It does. A beta is a beta, and when everyone can buy it, it's no longer a beta. So you can insist on reading the KS to the letter (and appear pedantic and self-opinionated), or consider doing a tiny little more than you promised, recognising that plans have changed -- and appear generous. Don't we all like to appear generous?

Yeah I'm going with that plan.

Sign in to follow this