Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Backer Beta Coming TOMORROW!

Yep. Most, if not all, of the bad rep DF's getting is from people being dicks and leaking stuff.

Not sure how anyone can honestly expect all 87 thousand people to be complete saints.

Even with very-very optimistic 1:100 dick/non-dick ratio we must have at least 800-900 dicks here.

Which definitely is much more dicks that should be allowed to be in one place.

Yep. Most, if not all, of the bad rep DF's getting is from people being dicks and leaking stuff.

Not sure how anyone can honestly expect all 87 thousand people to be complete saints.

Even with very-very optimistic 1:100 dick/non-dick ratio we must have at least 800-900 dicks here.

Which definitely is much more dicks that should be allowed to be in one place.

For the first 15 months of the project Backers seemed to be able to restrain themselves. And none of the recent announcements were leaked until this one. The last big leak was in July.

For the first 15 months of the project Backers seemed to be able to restrain themselves. And none of the recent announcements were leaked until this one. The last big leak was in July.

Simple - previous info wasn't newsworthy enough. And stuff from video documentary is much harder to cite and record than just copy pasting Kickstarter update.

And none of the recent announcements were leaked until this one. The last big leak was in July.

Actually, back in September, VG 24/7 also leaked about the internal alpha. Other sites also spilled the beans on the Will Wheaton announcement. One thing that's really bugging me about these leaks is that these so-called "journalists" don't even bother to check and verify their stories with the developer, but just put it up with a very subjective spin on it.

Simple - previous info wasn't newsworthy enough.

There were plenty of newsworthy things that weren't leaked, even from the start. I can't be bothered to find them all, but even recently a lot of major casting news wasn't leaked.

And none of the recent announcements were leaked until this one. The last big leak was in July.

Actually, back in September, VG 24/7 also leaked about the internal alpha. Other sites also spilled the beans on the Will Wheaton announcement. One thing that's really bugging me about these leaks is that these so-called "journalists" don't even bother to check and verify their stories with the developer, but just put it up in a very subjective way.

That's pretty much my problem with them. "Reporting" without enough factual information is just bad ethnic. "Journalists", more like "Journal-ish"

In other news, I bought a Ukulele today! It's hard as balls.

I honestly think that DF need to clarify, as soon as possible, the following points that we know are true but are getting misreported everywhere:

* Backers are allowed, even encouraged to tweet, blog, facebook, whatever else their impressions of the game as soon as they get it. Just go easy on the spoilers.

* Backers are allowed, even encouraged to make videos of the game, just don't spoil it past the certain point mentioned in the email.

* Double Fine are just asking that formal reviews be held off until (date). They can't make people, but they're asking nicely.

Also, this is a 14 day long private BETA period and NOT the final game; hence the embargo! No need to make a review on a crashing game with incorrect/incomplete translations, because if such issues should arise in the beta, they will be fixed until the final release.

I really feel that DF is not stressing enough that it is still a beta version; close to release, very much playable (and hopefully enjoyable), but still beta and not the release. Beta.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that "there's no legal requirement, but it'd be nice if you did stick to those rules" is not too dissimilar from "there's no legal requirement (but it'd be nice if you did give out non-Steam versions of Act I)".

If everyone were nice, the world would be a better place -- or as it is, perhaps people become annoyed enough to get Steam, play the game, and write up a long, in-depth review right tomorrow.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that "there's no legal requirement, but it'd be nice if you did stick to those rules" is not too dissimilar from "there's no legal requirement (but it'd be nice if you did give out non-Steam versions of Act I)".

If everyone were nice, the world would be a better place -- or as it is, perhaps people become annoyed enough to get Steam, play the game, and write up a long, in-depth review right tomorrow.

There wasn't even a legal requirement for them to finish the game, but they did. Grow the hell up.

Where is the relation between your second sentence and your first sentence, and both sentences to my post?

I just got the email....

Telling me my Netflix subscription has been renewed

Bitch I will kill you.

Just reflex opened Thunderbird so fast.

So around 7-8pm here in Europe. Can't wait ! :)

I'm sure it'll be released between 9am-12noon PST, but I wouldn't say I wasn't already checking my e-mail regularly :-)

My email client refreshes every 20 seconds and I'm still force refreshing it for no good reason.

In other news I seem to have gone up a couple of forum ranks in the space of a day. O game hype how you change me.

I'm just listening to

by the German rock band Ton Steine Scherben. The lyrics of the refrain could be the motto of all DFA backers today:

Es kommt, es kommt, bist du bereit?

Ach, wär's doch endlich schon so weit!

To translate clumsily:

It comes, it comes, are you prepared?

Oh, were it already the time!

I agree with the savygamer article on the embargo issue, it will be broken regardless of whatever DF wants and it is also unreasonable to expect it of all backers. When on the internet the line between official publication and random guy’s blog is so thinly drawn some times.

Embargoes in general are a messed up sign of a control-crazy, usually publisher imposed industry, they are used as a means to control the marketing and perception about a game prior and at day 1 release, while still providing the game to publications early for review purposes, with the caveat being, “you talk about our game before we want you to, we blacklist you”.

The unreasonable of this case, is that is kind of hard to blacklist a random backer with his private blog, that only his friends regularly look into, because somebody tipped Kotaku about it and they linked to it, when that blogger will never expect a review copy from you or interviews or whatever. Is hard to force an embargo when you have no means of coercion.

More than that, DF isn’t a Publisher, even if a big site like IGN, Kotaku, Polygon etcetera officially broke a loosely based embargo like this one (or even a normal one), what are they gonna do? Blacklist them? They can’t afford to, they need the publicity, they don’t have millions upon millions of marketing money to make a game visible. Having one or more of the major gaming sites not cover your game does more harm than whatever the breaking of a loose embargo will.

Of course they already send review codes to those places, with pre-agreed embargoes for the 27th, but I won’t be surprised if some of them link to random backer specific blogs or videos based on their impressions of the game prior to that. Particularly if there’s something controversial (thus views) about it.

As far as why DF even asked this? DF is a developer that has for a long time, until the creation of this Kickstarter project actually, worked exclusively with Publishers, a lot of their tactics when it comes to marketing and even their communication with fans resemble typical Publisher PR scenarios (when was the last time an indie got so much exposure at the VGA’s?) which comes of a bit schizophrenic because at the same time, since starting this project they have been very open and ‘indie’ as well. Of course that is my estimation of the situation, who knows what they were thinking when they came up with it.

Personally, as if anybody cares, do not watch, or do Let’s Plays so I won’t be breaking any embargoes that way, I will be probably, maybe, writing my impressions of Act 1 when I finish it whatever those may be and whenever that may be, but it won’t be in a form a of a review, nor do I have my own site. If writing “I liked/disliked this half-game” on the internet somewhere counts as breaking an embargo, I encourage DF to sue me, it should be fun…

The DRM situation does disappoint me. I do make limited use of Steam and will live with it until Act 2, but I would still like to ask DF to reconsider and offer a DRM-free build of Act 1 once the beta is over.

Still, it could have been worse. Broken Sword 5 backers were basically given the choice between Steam and GOG, and while the latter is of course DRM-free and a great service for most people, they don't support Linux at all. As far as I know, the Linux version is still the only version not available without DRM.

Personally, as if anybody cares, do not watch, or do Let’s Plays so I won’t be breaking any embargoes that way, I will be probably, maybe, writing my impressions of Act 1 when I finish it whatever those may be and whenever that may be, but it won’t be in a form a of a review, nor do I have my own site. If writing “I liked/disliked this half-game” on the internet somewhere counts as breaking an embargo, I encourage DF to sue me, it should be fun…

Well luckily you'll be fine because DF never said they don't want people talking about their impressions of the game. I don't know how people are getting that from the email. I've read it five times now.

I don't see anywhere where DF said there would be ramifications for being an asshole and leaking information early; they simply requested that people not do it.

You can make these long winded excuse posts all you want to make yourself feel better about it but it was still just a simple request by DF; not some big 'you better not or else' legal statement.

So, i'm seeing people already with Broken Age avaible at their humble account (not to be redeemed, just there), but i don't have any. Should i worry?

So, i'm seeing people already with Broken Age avaible at their humble account (not to be redeemed, just there), but i don't have any. Should i worry?

Is there a 'Claim past purchases' section at the top of your library that you can expand? I didn't see it in my list but i expanded that and it was there to 'add' to my library.

Once I did that it showed up at the very bottom listed under all of the bundles ive purchased.

EDIT: I should note that I still cant download it; it merely shows up so that once available I can link it to my steam account.

You can make these long winded excuse posts all you want to make yourself feel better about it but it was still just a simple request by DF; not some big 'you better not or else' legal statement.

^

Also the Broken Age humble pages aren't working atm (no codes or downloads or anything) so have no worries about it :D.

Super excited about today, can't wait to try it! Since I read the email this morning I'm refreshing the page every 10 minutes xD

Now I feel that DRM-free is still "a detail to make a few hippies happy" even for developpers like DF, and THIS is disappointing.

So, put your money where your mouth is. Provide a DRM-free platform as easy to use for updates as Steam.

If they rename this pre-release to Act 1, or Beta, or Early-Access for marketing or technical reasons - this doesn't magically make it finished and complete product

Well, yes. It does. A beta is a beta, and when everyone can buy it, it's no longer a beta. So you can insist on reading the KS to the letter (and appear pedantic and self-opinionated), or consider doing a tiny little more than you promised, recognising that plans have changed -- and appear generous. Don't we all like to appear generous?

Would you rather have a worse game because they had to spend half their time building an updater?

Is there a 'Claim past purchases' section at the top of your library that you can expand? I didn't see it in my list but i expanded that and it was there to 'add' to my library.

Once I did that it showed up at the very bottom listed under all of the bundles ive purchased.

EDIT: I should note that I still cant download it; it merely shows up so that once available I can link it to my steam account.

Oh, it's there. Thanks, man!

Sign in to follow this