Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Backer Beta Coming TOMORROW!

Read the EULA, fanboy. They could and will cancel your subscription (hey, thats Steam. Its no software buying platform. Its just a subscription service) and any point and without any reason. And they doing that a few thousand times a year. So … no you dont get anything. You were just brainless enough to pay $ 200 for getting nothing. And BTW They already changed their EULA dramatically. and if you would agree to any change they ever release …. then your subsription is gone forever. And with it all games and all your money. And BTW Most real distribution platforms like GoG give you the full product, which you own then.

Read the EULA for any game, including GOG. They can revoke it at any time, for any reason. Better stop supporting them right? Go live in a cave.

Jesus, people. I mean......just.....hmm. The angry is probably unnecessary.

Guys, this DRM discussion crap was already over in page 10, why do you bring it back up? leave it be or open a new thread. We are just excited about today, don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Thanks.

There is no announcement, that Broken Age Act 1 is free of DRM. So why does some users here claim it that way? If it contains SteamWorks (and it does that most likely) then its DRM plagued.

And BTW Releasing the update to your website and Steam at the same time isnt any problem at all. All the other companies out there doing it that way. And just Double Fine isnt able to handle it that way? And BTW Thats their problem. If they werent able to handle it, they shouldnt have bought DRM free versions.Now its their duty to offer them. Otherwise its betrayal of the paying customers.

Actually, it kind of is a problem. You have no real notification and push mechanism in place, and they're accepting bug reports. Bug reports for old versions of the game are expensive... like, a couple hundred dollars each expensive in terms of dev time if they're taken seriously and they don't just ignore all bug reports.

YOU ARE ACTIVELY TRYING TO SABOTAGE THE GAME unless you propose an alternative to Steam that actually provides what Steam does. Can we get these saboteurs banned and their backer status stripped?

I just got the email....

Telling me my Netflix subscription has been renewed

Oh, you bugger lol

i agree with Oanst. Should this beta soon woo thread be more about what we're all looking forward to most in Broken Age Act I ? For me I think its just getting to play a fresh point and click again, last one I played was Gemini Rue a good serious game. I think I'm ready for that famous Tim S. funny thinker genre now. ps. It's like a living Bagel painting o/

W.

minor octopus, so placing a .dmg and .zip on a web site is now some huge problem. Do you have no idea at all about development? And DoubleFine sold it that way. Therefor its their problem.

Yes, read the last thirty posts I made about this, including last night before going to bed.

I think the confusion comes from DF not specifying exactly what they mean, in a very-open current internet environment.

The lines in the ground are very hard to distinguish these days, the publicity of what you write does not necessarily depend if you belong in an ‘official’ publication, if they choose to pick up your blog entry or whatever and run with it as they have in many occasions when they figured it would get them hits.

What is a review these days? Does it need a score or not? Does it need to say it is a review or not? Everything is so open these days and with so many people involved you don’t know when one thing begins and another ends.

And what is a blog? These things are so hard to define, my impressions on Act 1 with or without score, with or without the word review associated with it, could still be interpreted as a ‘review’ on a ‘blog’.

Lokken, writing my impressions on the (half) game I paid for when I get it in my hands has nothing to do with leaking information early, it is also not my job as a consumer to help DF market their games, I also did not insinuated that there was any threat imposed on DF's part, my long winded post if you bothered to read it covered the concept of embargo in general and the when and how they apply it in the industry, not just this isolated case. And the lack of any sort of threat in this case, is what makes the request ridiculous. Particularly when the word embargo has a precedent in the video game press.

So, i'm seeing people already with Broken Age avaible at their humble account (not to be redeemed, just there), but i don't have any. Should i worry?

Is there a 'Claim past purchases' section at the top of your library that you can expand? I didn't see it in my list but i expanded that and it was there to 'add' to my library.

Once I did that it showed up at the very bottom listed under all of the bundles ive purchased.

EDIT: I should note that I still cant download it; it merely shows up so that once available I can link it to my steam account.

Oh, it's there. Thanks, man!

Not a problem! Just go easy on that F5 key :)

Can we get these saboteurs banned and their backer status stripped?

Or better, let's just torture and then kill them!. Seriously, get a grip on reality.

One thing that's really bugging me about these leaks is that these so-called "journalists" don't even bother to check and verify their stories with the developer, but just put it up with a very subjective spin on it.

I think the boundary between blog and news site is very blurry with gaming news. Most "news articles" certainly read like any other blog article, only that they got a famous logo decorating them.

Self-Published DF games don't use the CEG thing I think. The rest are probably up to the publisher.

The Steam version of Psychonauts uses a "smart" executable that launches with Steamworks if Steam is running (so you get cloud saves, achievements, etc), and launches DRM-free if Steam is not (and its directory could be moved to a different computer with no internet and no Steam installed and it'd still run just fine), which I think is clever and I wish more games worked like that. Not sure about DF's other self-published games.

That's actually really awesome! I seriously hope they elect to use this method for Broken Age as well.

Better than having Steamworks wedged into it. We'll likely have multiple ways of downloading the game though, no? Similar to the way Humble Bundles give you DRM free downloads as well as Steam/Origin/Desura keys.

And there will be, ONCE THEY NO LONGER ACCEPT BUG REPORTS. Humble doesn't provide live updates, metrics, any of that. They just let you download a blob and never touch it again. For a final release, yes, that's nice. For something that's still in development, that's absolutely horrible. Game-breaking bug in one build? Prepare to field support requests for it until the sun explodes!

Lokken, writing my impressions on the (half) game I paid for when I get it in my hands has nothing to do with leaking information early, it is also not my job as a consumer to help DF market their games, I also did not insinuated that there was any threat imposed on DF's part, my long winded post if you bothered to read it covered the concept of embargo in general and the when and how they apply it in the industry, not just this isolated case. And the lack of any sort of threat in this case, is what makes the request ridiculous. Particularly when the word embargo has a precedent in the video game press.

EDIT: Chose to remove post; Lets just get back to being excited about the beta today. Other topics are irrelevant.

The lyrics of the refrain could be the motto of all DFA backers today:

Refrain? You don't happen to be Swedish?

In English it's called chorus.

These few Anti-Steam trolls here remind me of those kids that nobody liked in elementary school, so their parents forced other kids to invite them to their birthday party and when they get there they complain about everything and try to ruin the party for everyone.

Guys like this cant handle it if everything isnt about them so they cry and bitch until everybody looks at them.

I wish Double Fine could fire these backers because they give us normal backers here a bad name :D

I can't tell if serious or not, but I've definitely heard refrain a lot in the past and I'm not savvy with any sort of foreign language. I mean, Spanish yeah, but I'm not that good at it. ha!

And there will be, ONCE THEY NO LONGER ACCEPT BUG REPORTS. Humble doesn't provide live updates, metrics, any of that. They just let you download a blob and never touch it again. For a final release, yes, that's nice. For something that's still in development, that's absolutely horrible. Game-breaking bug in one build? Prepare to field support requests for it until the sun explodes!

Which, BTW, is probably part of the reason why there is no iOS version. The Apple blessing for each and every tiny change can take ages.

German. Hence me listening to the band. :D

Refrain is a loanword anyway. Probably the reason why I didn't consider that it might not be common in the English language.

Edit: Hm, so I was right all along? Ha! ;)

EDIT: Chose to remove post; Lets just get back to being excited about the beta today. Other topics are irrelevant.

I read it, but I think you’re right about moving on.

Just as an advice for the future, do not be so hostile to people just because you disagree with them, particularly when you don’t even comprehend the full extent of their point of view…

Carry on.

Some miscellaneous points.

1) Hey, it's completely someone's personal decision what internet services they choose to support or not support. Giving them shit for it is NOT HELPING, even if I agree with some of the general points being made. They are entitled to express disappointment that it is being released only on a platform that they don't use, for now.

2) Double Fine can do what they like with this feedback. There's no betrayal here, everyone will get their promised version, and they never promised day and date parity between all the various releases of the game - in fact they have been pretty clear that wouldn't happen. It might be a nice gesture to release DRM free part 1 ASAP. But we'll see.

3) I don't get what's so confusing. Don't review the game. Apart from that, talk about it, write an impressions article, do interpretive dance about it, carve 'I like/don't like Broken Age' in your forehead with a scalpel and tweet it, just as long as you don't spoil the game. Simple!

I read it, but I think you’re right about moving on.

Just as an advice for the future, do not be so hostile to people just because you disagree with them, particularly when you don’t even comprehend the full extent of their point of view…

Carry on.

I'd also caution you about being condescending, passive aggressive, over-estimating the complexity and relevance of your own point of view, and finally, offering unsolicited and meaningless advice.

But yes; carry on.

This is bizarre. I have claimed the link for Broken Age a couple of days earlier in Humble Bundle. However, today I couldn't find it in my widget purchases. Also the link itself shows unknown key. Any one knows what's going on?

Sign in to follow this