Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Backer Beta Coming TOMORROW!

Release day is making people pretty nervous, isn't it? xD

Pretttttty much. I'm checking my e-mail constantly, and it seems a lot of the people who had backer accounts but never used the forums are coming on here just to make sure it not arriving is just them.

Pretttttty much. I'm checking my e-mail constantly, and it seems a lot of the people who had backer accounts but never used the forums are coming on here just to make sure it not arriving is just them.

You nailed it! ;) Refreshing refreshing refreshing

"Instead of 'What if we fought the monster?', what I want to know is, How do I kill it?"

I about exploded in every orifice with how incredible that one line is.

This is bizarre. I have claimed the link for Broken Age a couple of days earlier in Humble Bundle. However, today I couldn't find it in my widget purchases. Also the link itself shows unknown key. Any one knows what's going on?

At least for me the old key-page was removed, but there was new reclaimable key-page added to my account sometime yesterday or today in my HB library page. Just go and claim the new one.

problem: in a world full of impatient geeks like us and with different time-zones - a word like "tomorrow" is not exactly helpful to prevent "frustration" ;)

can't wait to play the game :)

30 Minutes till the Banner Saga Unlocks. Consider me not plaing DFA tonight as i still got no key. :) Tomorrow than! Yiiiha!

Touchè :)

30 Minutes till the Banner Saga Unlocks. Consider me not plaing DFA tonight as i still got no key. :) Tomorrow than! Yiiiha!

Yeah well, this is a big kick in the face for us Europeans, but I guess there is always a tomorrow.

Yeah well, this is a big kick in the face for us Europeans, but I guess there is always a tomorrow.

You can't play after 7pm?

No page to claim for me (but I didn't buy the Humble DF Bundle, I already had them all) I guess I'll wait for the mail to arrive.

its 10pm here ..... what should i do wait up late or do it next day

Hate to break it to you, but DF is based on the West Coast. It's gonna be a while, probably best to get to sleep. I'm in the same boat too, so, yeah. Sucks.

No page to claim for me (but I didn't buy the Humble DF Bundle, I already had them all) I guess I'll wait for the mail to arrive.

I also did not buy the bundle but I could claim broken age on my library page. No key yet, though.

Well 9am PST is coming up in about 20 min so I am hoping its not too long after that.

Okay, this thread allready is on page 15.

But as the first post was also about the TRAILER i wanted to say something about that and about especially

one part of the game design!

I have seen in the last videos that you changed the faces from half profile to full frontal.

Maybe because the player of the game feels "closer" to them that way. I don't know what the

real reason was anyway. But it seems "logical"

I kinda was waiting for the end result and was thinking: Ah, maybe they change something about the lighting

and it gonne end up nicely. Especially because i didn't had any time around christmas to react to it kinda earlier.

But yhea, now in this trailer i wanne to say what i am thinking at least once,

if it gonne have any effect or not ;) :

I really dislike the full frontal sleeping faces! Especially as we all know the half profile. And it's not a

question of getting used to the first one. But it looks very uncompfy. And it doesn't do the picture composting

any favour.

It's not that i think that it's too bad. But really, the original picture was so much better! It really looks kinda uncompfy,

the lighting - i don't wanne say it is bad - but it is so much better in the half profile. And the composition of the picture

doesn't work that well anymore that way!

It kinda feels like bad photoshopped faces on different picture. That are just my emotions about that.

I totally love all of the design and the perfection in all the details. So. Maybe even because you guys are looked so much more often on the original composition that you have seen it to much: But as now i see it that way in the trailer, and as it maybe gonne be seen very often while playing, as it is kind of a starting picture, i wanne to say:

If there is anyone at double fine or in the community who might also somehow feel not so positiv about that full frontal face change,

so now also like it ended up: Maybe you could consider changing it into half profile, for the - maybe, this is a personal view - better design after it is no more beta but ready ready? Like a mini Patch or something?

It is just that i really like that idea that the game starts with the cover of the game. Which starts moving. Like a picture starts moving.

So kinda this is the new cover and yhea. Maybe it doesn't change anything. But maybe you just seen to often the old design to have the distance to see that maybe the new full frontal face design is not better in any way. It looks uncompfy and not as good done as the other.

If the game now is gonne stay that way, i just wanned to know that i said it. But yhea. If there was any discussion in the production team and if it maybe is just a thing of 5 to 15 min to change it again ^^ i just wanne to say that it would realy realy gonne do the game a favour and gonne look more natural.

You even could let them turn the head into full frontal when you click on vella (or on shay) and than open the eyes. What would be really great. But yhea, it doesn't look right.

I know i am maybe a little picky, and i am totally not angry if this post won't do anything.

But i wanned to have said it at least. Especially as the game wanted to be artistic very high end. So. I guess mentioning such a detail than for a game makes more sence than on games that doesn't want to be a walking picture. ( and you did it perfectly, it's awesome … yhea, only that thing ^^ )

I also did not buy the bundle but I could claim broken age on my library page. No key yet, though.

Didn't buy the bundle (slacker backer). No key yet but I don't except it for at least a few hours :)

Would you rather have a worse game because they had to spend half their time building an updater?

The obvious answer is that I want a great game and an updater. But why do I want an updater?

The trailer looks amazing guys, can't wait to start playing it! Is there a plan to release Part 1 on iPad/iPhone? I remember that being talked about when the Kickstarter took off, but haven't really heard much about it since then. Thanks!

You can't play after 7pm?

Thats the time Steam Games unlock, deals begin/end ect. If the game is unlocked right now a key would still let us play right away of cause, but i got two of the games i have been looking forward to the most here comming the same night so the DFA key not being here yet keeps me from having to choose which one to play first. But once i started i will not be checking for my key for the other game, i´ll just relax and enjoy what according to first reviews should be pretty neat.

http://kotaku.com/the-banner-saga-isnt-just-a-pretty-face-1500844642

http://www.onlysp.com/the-banner-saga-review/

It´s pretty sad timeing still... reminds me of the first time i was able to just buy more than one cd or one game at a time. Thats when the pile of shame (unplayed games you legaly own) started and stuff i played stoped getting the time it deserved. You know like sometimes you have to listen to a good album several times before you "get it"? So i am kinda sad that two games that were above the wall of games i throw at myself due to indy bundles, steamsales and whatnot have to get released the same night. These two were about to be more special and now they steal each other the attention. Curses!

Would you rather have a worse game because they had to spend half their time building an updater?

The obvious answer is that I want a great game and an updater. But why do I want an updater?

a) Because it allows the devs to push bugfixes in a timely manner.

b) Because the second half of the game will be in the same program. So you're going to want to patch that in.

Any American company can deny payment of any sort, refuse business, or even take your money and if you insist to break the rules then they can keep your money and then refuse you service. Most companies put it in their Agreements so its easier for their lawyers. If GOG is American, then they too can remove their service from you and steal your money and games. They probably won't, but it can happen. Double Fine only promised DRM free version of the finished game, which will be after Act 2 finishes. It says that clear as day on their Kickstarter. If you insist on everyone reading Steam's EULA then you should have read Double Fine's Kickstarter.

No promises were broken. Just your false entitlement were let down by reality.

I'd also caution you about being condescending, passive aggressive, over-estimating the complexity and relevance of your own point of view, and finally, offering unsolicited and meaningless advice.

But yes; carry on.

You come off at me with only 6 posts in this forum, because I expressed an opinion, you are free to disagree, but for someone who wants to remain upbeat you ooze with hostility.

I meant my advice genuinely, not as a means to offend. Perhaps you should heed it, instead of calling the kettle black, Mr. Pot (and I mean that jovially).

But, please, let’s do carry on.

Didn't buy the bundle (slacker backer). No key yet but I don't except it for at least a few hours :)

I'm an idiot, I didn't realize my Slacker Backer and Humble Bundle accounts were on two different email accounts xD once I moved both accounts on the same email I instantly got my "Broken Age ($15 Tier)"

Any American company can deny payment of any sort, refuse business, or even take your money and if you insist to break the rules then they can keep your money and then refuse you service. Most companies put it in their Agreements so its easier for their lawyers. If GOG is American, then they too can remove their service from you and steal your money and games. They probably won't, but it can happen. Double Fine only promised DRM free version of the finished game, which will be after Act 2 finishes. It says that clear as day on their Kickstarter. If you insist on everyone reading Steam's EULA then you should have read Double Fine's Kickstarter.

GOG is a Polish company, a part of CD Projekt.

Any American company can deny payment of any sort, refuse business, or even take your money and if you insist to break the rules then they can keep your money and then refuse you service. Most companies put it in their Agreements so its easier for their lawyers. If GOG is American, then they too can remove their service from you and steal your money and games..

GoG is actually a Polish company.

Edit: ninja'd!

Slacker Backer here, no e-mail yet and nothing in my Humble Bundle account, neither under unclaimed or under widget purchases. :(

Why must you torture me so DF? Why? :D

I'd also caution you about being condescending, passive aggressive, over-estimating the complexity and relevance of your own point of view, and finally, offering unsolicited and meaningless advice.

But yes; carry on.

You come off at me with only 6 posts in this forum, because I expressed an opinion, you are free to disagree, but for someone who wants to remain upbeat you ooze with hostility.

I meant my advice genuinely, not as a means to offend. Perhaps you should heed it, instead of calling the kettle black, Mr. Pot (and I mean that jovially).

But, please, let’s do carry on.

Not sure how my post count correlates to my ability to read or comprehend your opinion. Also not sure about its relationship to my 'hostility'

If you're going for genuine, you may want to avoid implying incompetence; as telling someone they don't comprehend your point is doing exactly that.

Please don't read my advice as anything but genuine either; and perhaps you should heed it while you're carrying on.

GOG is a Polish company, a part of CD Projekt.

Wow, good thing I said "If!" Anyways, thanks for the info.

I try to keep calm about the Steam issue but I still think that DF should clear things up a bit.

For the time the game is in beta or in early-access I understand that it is not DRM-free. This is what the Kickstarter campaign said and I've always known that.

However, if the press release today gives an exact release date for "Act I" then I find it unfortunate if the backers don't receive a DRM-free copy (when beta is over) because then the game is officially released to the public.

I can only imagine that there are some techincal issues which prevent DF from releasing a DRM-free "Act I" ... like the fact that it would be too cumbersome to remove some DRM-code in the game when they know that they still have to add "Act II" in.

I could also understand if their motivation is sales figures and wanting to make sure that most people buy it now over Steam so that their studio can profit from the release as much as possible.

But their silence about this situation (and possible reasons for it) is not helping the debate.

Sign in to follow this