Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Backer Beta Coming TOMORROW!

Well, let's face it: this IS the release of the game - considering DFGreg's statements about it being a full-fledged experience and that everybody should play it.

In summer part two of the game will be released.

To some people the installation of Steam means a lapse in their personal boycott of DRM.

Some people have an ethical objection to the very concept of DRM. While I don't maintain this position myself, many do. It's a valid position.

When they backed this game they were told it was DRM-free. Not to sound melodramatic, but to tell them that they have to install Steam now or be left out of the fun (including the documentary because of spoilers) until the full game is released at some indeterminate time in the future seems like a betrayal to me.

Here is what you backed.

The finished game in all of its awesome glory DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux, or via Steam for PC and Mac, exclusive access to the Beta on Steam, access to the video series, and access the private discussion community.

I would agree that things changed a bit, but no real reason to scream betrail.

Who's screaming? I made a clear and calm point and I stand by it.

Betrayl is a harsh word aaaaand i always have to think of this when i read it. :D

Could anybody from Double Fine or one of the people who got the leaked game tell me how big Broken Age will be? If it needs more than 3 Gigs of disk space, then I'd better start shoveling stuff off my disk now.

" date="1389674858"]I'm sure you realize, but I'd also like to point out that I would really appreciate a DRM free build of Act 1 without having to wait for all of the game :) I don't have Steam, and I am not a fan, so it would be cool if I could get to play the game DRM free when Act 1 is released to the world.

I also have to back that request. I really would like to play the game I've waited for all this time but I won't install Steam for it.

Then you can wait for a final build, since you're making it hard for them to deliver updates.

If you are a person with an ethical standpoint against DRM, you will not be able to participate in anything happening from now on without being spoiled, which is, as we all will surely agree, the worst case scenario with a game like this.

Which you knew ahead of time, since the beta being only on Steam was known as far back as the kickstarter.

Why do people expect boycotting things to not mean personal sacrifice? Seriously.

So excited for the release! Debating about calling in sick tomorrow, I think I'm coming down with something. *cough* *cough*

If you are a person with an ethical standpoint against DRM, you will not be able to participate in anything happening from now on without being spoiled, which is, as we all will surely agree, the worst case scenario with a game like this.

Which you knew ahead of time, since the beta being only on Steam was known as far back as the kickstarter.

Why do people expect boycotting things to not mean personal sacrifice? Seriously.

The thing is, this isn't really a beta. This is simply a two-part game. According to Greg himself: "Act 1 is a polished and satisfying piece of content in its own right". This a product that non-backers are going to be able to purchase and play soon.

Since I have Steam and fully intend to play it tomorrow this doesn't directly affect me. I do however have enough empathy to sympathize with people who don't want Steam.

They weren't trying to boycott this game after all, they were told it was DRM free so they wouldn't have to. They've already paid for it. Now they're being told they have to get Steam or they'll have to wait until after the general public has played it to get their chance.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

237.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

lucille-buth-excited.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Daily-Life-GIFs-20-Guy-Screaming-at-Another-Guy.gif

(I'm a bit more than reasonably excited)

Friggin' Polygon, man. I really really like them, but this pisses me off. I almost wanna stop visiting their site. That guy should have his backer status revoked. Then somebody in the comments mentioned the trailer. They didn't post it, thankfully! But I kinda wish I hadn't said anything at all.

They weren't trying to boycott this game after all, they were told it was DRM free so they wouldn't have to. They've already paid for it. Now they're being told they have to get Steam or they'll have to wait until after the general public has played it to get their chance.

They have the chance to do so early, and choose not to take it. Should Double Fine delay releasing it to the public until everyone who plays through their backlog in order gets through Broken Age? Or people with work commitments?

It was a minor leak but still it seems like a pretty dickish move. They couldn't sit on announcing DFA Act 1 would be shipped as a regular Steam release instead of early access for a day?

Unfortunately the trailer is currently being spread around, which we really don't want happening until tomorrow. We're pulling it down from YouTube now and will be uploading a private Vimeo video so only you guys can see it.

It was a minor leak but still it seems like a pretty dickish move. They couldn't sit on announcing DFA Act 1 would be shipped as a regular Steam release instead of early access for a day?

Oh, come on.

The only reason Double Fine makes this info "exclusive" at all is the promise they made to us backers 2 years ago. It was a silly promise - to expect exclusivity while sharing with 87 thousand people, and they quickly realized it - but now they have to continue this in a form of 1 day "exclusive access" charade simply not to piss us off.

So really, I'm surprised ONLY Polygon did it. It is clear that by now these backer updates might as well be called official press releases...

Oh, come on.

The only reason Double Fine makes this info "exclusive" at all is the promise they made to us backers 2 years ago. It was a silly promise - to expect exclusivity while sharing with 87 thousand people, and they quickly realized it - but now they have to continue this in a form of 1 day "exclusive access" charade simply not to piss us off.

So really, I'm surprised ONLY Polygon did it. It is clear that by now these backer updates might as well be called official press releases...

Still if for so little news they have to break the request of double fine. Most including polygon posted about the same news already when tim Schafer tweeted about it. They could have just waited 24 hours and post the full news. And i'm sure most other game news sites think the same about that. And they probably don't want to burn to chance to interview double fine later on.

The only reason he probably posted about it is because double fine requested to wait 24 hours for the full press release.

Congratulations on the release guys - I just caught the trailer before it was pulled - looks amazing.

Shame a few people can't save the surprise - but on the plus side better than no-one watching it!

We're pulling it down from YouTube now.

Awwwww :(

I was watching that! Over and over.

Damn good trailer. Together with Shay's trailer it has made me want to play the game more than anything else you have shown me.

DAMN IT! I didn't see that there was a trailer link before it was taken down. Effing leakers! Now I'm pissed, because I have to wait. Bastards.

I hope they grow taste buds in their buttholes. >:(

Edit: well, didn't have to wait long. But my point still stands. Start growing, taste buds.

Also, edit the second: Thanks Greg!

Okay, Vimeo version is live!

Don't mind the swap to vimeo the image and sound quality from that website is allot better then youtube.

Oh, come on.

Even if DF hadn't made that promise it still seems a bit unethical to publish something that DF essentially asked be off the record until the press release. Especially for an organization posing as a serious journalistic endeavor. They can't even show a little professional courtesy by respecting DF's wishes.

The trailer looks very good. My one teensy little issue with it is that the name (sounding like) "Mog Chathra" is disturbingly reminiscent of George Lucas. Does that count as a bug? I think so.

Sign in to follow this