Sign in to follow this  
minor octopus

Visible graphical glitches in Vella trailer

My main gripe is with Vella's right eye on 0:51 - 0:55 and 1:06-1:08 . The glitch is super visible and especially annoying on full screen 1080p. There are other minor strange looking objects, like pixelated edges of boy's eyes at 1:14, but this one stood out just too much to ignore.

Sorry if this is not the place for this sort of stuff, please feel free to move or remove the thread. Its just that with trailer going public in 20 hours or so maybe it is not to late to fix it...

I'm sure backers are fine with it (I certainly am), but general public might not be that forgiving.

Please be more descriptive. I don't see anything wrong.

I think he is refering to the intersection of her eye and face near the edges of the eyes. You can see small parts of the face texture through these small gaps in top of her eye where the face "comes through" the eye texture.

There are 1:1 crops of the girls eye attached, click on them to view full size. Upper eye shade splits in two moving parts. And no, this is clearly not supposed to happen :)

With trailer being currently down you can't see it for yourself, but this was visible almost all the way through both slow pans around the girls face - it wasn't something that appeared just for split second.

Edit: Ok, Vimeo version is up and it seems it is maxed at 720p instead of original 1080p. Glitch is less visible there.

The little light spot that is supposed to be the reflection in the iris basically stays in the same spot in the eye even though the eyes are moving. Sometimes it moves over and is fully in the sclera (white part of the eye).

I definitely didn't notice it until it was pointed out (and sometimes it could work for light reflecting), but in the closeup scenes for sure it'd be nice for it to be cleaned up by the time the full release hits.

It looks like it's only messed up on Vella & Jack Black's character from the footage in the trailer. It stays inside the iris for everyone else I see (0:55-0:57 is a good example of how it would ideally look).

If you are talking about that polygonal gap in her eyelash, that is such a nitpick. I had to literally search for it. I was too busy enjoying everything else and so will the general public.

You can't see it now as clearly as before, they posted only 720p version on Vimeo. When I first watched it in 1080p full screen on youtube, on a 26 inch monitor - it was very visible.

Anyway, since Greg told they won't change Youtube address of the original video - looks like they won't fix it, so this thread is kind of useless...

I would contest tat this is so minor... it really just doesn't matter. I just think its such a nit-pick that it's not worth pointing out. I'm not arguing it's not obvious. I mean I didn't see it until it was pointed out to me but I wasn't looking for it. I also tend to expect little things like this. Even from AAA titles that boast hyper-realistic graphics.

I'm not saying it isn't a glitch or that they shouldn't fix it. But I would argue that whether it gets fixed or not will not effect my liking this game or thinking that the game as a whole is beautiful.

Is this really an important "bug"? If that is the case the game will be fantastic.

Is this really an important "bug"? If that is the case the game will be fantastic.
Important no. But might as well report everything and the really minor stuff can be marked as 'not worth fixing' in DF's internal bug database (depending on the time they have for fixing).

Sign in to follow this