Sign in to follow this  
aratuk

"Mog Chathra" is disturbingly reminiscent of George Lucas naming conventions

In the trailer, you can hear someone being referenced by a name that sounds a lot like "Mog Chathra". This gives me bad George Lucas vibes, and I worry it will make other people worry that your forebrains have quit working, which is surely not the case.

troll>

(Note: title of this forum is "Broken Age Bugs *and Feedback*")

From what I got from trailer, "mog" is the species name, so it is just "Chathra" - the name of that particular mog.

Frankly, doesn't sound bad to me at all. Certainly not bad enough to re-record all voices that mention its name....

Sounds awesomely Lovecraftian to me.

Lucas just took a bunch of names directly from history, geography, literature...at least Mog Chothra isn't an existing name.

Lucas just took a bunch of names directly from history, geography, literature...at least Mog Chothra isn't an existing name.

No. He really just made up cute-sounding gobbledygook, or often just used descriptive English words as names (I'm lookin' at you, Lieutenant Porkins).

Luke Skywalker

Darth Vader

Princess Leia Organa

Chewbacca

R2-D2

C-3PO

Yeah, those are terrible names all right. :|

Lucas's style of making up names is very effective, at its best, at distilling a character into a kind of memorable archetype. At worst, however, it turns out things like "Lieutenant Porkins" or "Jar Jar Binks".

Lucas's style of making up names is very effective, at its best, at distilling a character into a kind of memorable archetype. At worst, however, it turns out things like "Lieutenant Porkins" or "Jar Jar Binks".

First of all, Porkins' name is never mentioned in the movie. He's only ever referred to as Red Six.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the name Jar Jar Binks. I understand the character is divisive amongst fans, but there's nothing wrong with the name.

Just curious, can somebody explain this apparent pattern in George Lucas names to me?

My point stands. Also, for this:

there is nothing wrong with the name Jar Jar Binks.

For this, you lose every argument, always & forever. It's true that the name isn't the worst thing about him, but that's all that can be said for it.

Just curious, can somebody explain this apparent pattern in George Lucas names to me?

He went too far with his ambition to sell toys to children, in his distinctive flavor of gobbledygook, until his shriveling forebrain utterly quit working sometime in the mid-1980s (or earlier, depending who you ask).

In one of DFA episodes, you can hear Jack Black refer to Mog Chothra as "Mothra". Ha!

Also, it's a super cool name that probably has some kind of significant meaning but I don't know because I havent played yet!

I think you may need help if you keep thinking about George Lucas.

George Lucas created Star Wars and because of that he is the greatest human being who ever lived on this Earth.

Sounds awesomely Lovecraftian to me.

That's what I got from it as well. It works too, since it's a giant ball of eyes and tentacles that rises out of the sea.

I really don't understand what it has to George Lucas and how he named things.

First of all, Porkins' name is never mentioned in the movie. He's only ever referred to as Red Six.

Woah, hand in your geek card, buddy.

He IS called Porkins. Judging by the way he reacts I figure it's a nickname he's not too pleased with.

On Tatooine every town seems to be named Mos Something (eg Mos Eisley where the cantina is), then there's Grand Moff Tarkin (Moff is a rank), er... that seems to be it, and they're not very like Mog Chathra.

I think the original complaint is spurious and/or just for the lols, myself.

Woah, hand in your geek card, buddy.

He IS called Porkins. Judging by the way he reacts I figure it's a nickname he's not too pleased with.

Oops. <_<

Once. >_>

Biggs totally broke protocol by doing it too. <_<

Sign in to follow this