Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

One last thanks from me before the storm

I was waiting for this game point-and-click game from Tim about 10 years. Its time for launch it!

Hip, hip, hurray!

kiOPc6S.gif

I am so glad for you guys !!!! Congratulations on the entire REDS team !

P.S: I totally stole that lovely gif

Well, I just finished Act I in 4 hours (2 hours yesterday, 2 more tonight), and words cannot describe how overjoyed I was to be playing a brand new bona fide LucasArts-style adventure game. This is one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played, the voice acting is great, and the music is fantastic, but the story is what sucked me in. I'm disappointed that I now have to wait several months to find out how it all ends!

Thanks guys!!! Been out the loop for a bit just checked my email and seen I had the game!!! Been about a hour in, doing my usual point n click exploring n taking in the beautiful art and atmosphere, dialog and just fantastic game!!! Love it well done n look forward to the second half. Almost makes me not want to play because I'm going to want the second half right away!! Feel like a kid In front of my 386dx again. Thank you Tim, and all of double fine and 2pp this ride has been amazing and myself and millions of others really dont want it to ever end. Watching you guys work and having it now in my hands and on my computer is just another whole feeling of awesomeness. Truely grateful I have been part of this ride!!

*slow clap* (Imagine an audience of backers slowly rising from their seats.) Bravo, Tim Schafer and Double Fine! Somehow you recreated the magic that I felt when I first played Day of the Tentacle and marveled at how amazing it was to not just play a cartoon, but one of the funniest ones I've ever experienced. Broken Age, with its wonderful art direction, camera work, dialogue and puzzles reminds me of how good the adventure game can be in the hands of masters. The characters and world here are wonderfully unique, I was totally gobsmacked by that ending, and am eagerly awaiting part two. Broken Age was worth every penny I put into it and more. Seriously, this game! THIS GAME!

I just played it for one hour and wanted to say say thank you too!

30 Seconds into the Vella Storyline I had my first heartfelt laugh without actually doing anything. When the little sister started to talk about bears I knew that this game is just as awesome as any of Tims games and that he still is the best dialogue writer in the industry. Underline that with the surprisingly awesome soundtrack that I didn't expect before the last documentary and the fulfilled promise to make the graphics like an interactive bagel painting... it's just awesome.

Also a big thank you to 2 player productions, you guys are my favorite documentary producers since the first Penny Arcade season and with this documentary you delivered your best work to date and I celebrate every new episode like a new game release.

I only wish that now that the foundation for new double fine adventures is in place that DF can get the rights to do a follow-up to Day of the Tentacle (in my book it still holds the crown as the game that has aged better than any other game ever) or Full Throttle or a new adventure for a mature audience. Because as beautiful as this game is, I have to admit it is more suited for kids than for adults and by that it kind of isn't the game you pitched in the Kickstarter. So please ask me for 40 or 50 bucks next time and take all the time you need to make a "dirtier" adventure for the people that were young when your first adventures came out.

Just finished Act 1, loved every minute of it! I'll admit I was a little skeptical at the beginning of this before I became a backer on kickstarter. You guys made an amazing game well beyond what I was expecting. Can't wait to back your future games! Grats Double Fine!!

This game is pure joy! Congrats to the whole team at DF. Going through these locations we've seen in the docs is a surreal feeling. Amazing! \o/

to quote GLaDOS: "This was a triumph, I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS!"

Looking forward to seeing the next doc episode to see the team's reaction to the game release. ;)

I agree, Thanks for a Great Game - bit of a cliffhanger at the end though ;)

Thanks Tim, I love every second. You managed to bring me out of this world and make me think why It took me sooooo long to beat full throttle or grim fandango

Great Job, I will play it all over again when act 2 comes out :D

EZ 8-)

Honestly, I wasn't enjoying it much in the beginning - but once I got passed the parts we've been seeing all this time in the Docs - I really started having fun. Good job guys! Anxiously awaiting part 2.

So much fun! The game is beautiful and a great story line. Can't wait for act 2. Well done guys!

thank you so much tim and the team!!! its a great game with loads of soul. its been, and is, a real privilege to take part in the development and cant wait to play part II!

you know you have to keep doing this now. more documentaries! more adventure games! more 2d art!

Absolutely loved part one, been catching up on the last few episodes of the doc I missed. Now I'm in a quandry - all I want to do is watch more of the documentary, but seeing how many environmental/character "spoilers" are in the recent parts of the documentary, I don't want to watch more. I'm so conflicted!

First of all thank you Double Fine for just being awesome. Through this whole thing - whenever a documentary came out - I was reminded that there ARE awesome, passionate, friendly and just generally pleasant people out there.

The game is beautiful, the art, the voices - Elijah is great, but I totally fell in love with Vella from the moment she started talking. The dialog is so funny and to the point that it never gets boring to try out every possibility. The soundtrack is just outright unbelievable. The atmosphere it creates... I don't even know how you guys did that.

Overall amazing - I hope that Broken Age will not be the last story to come out of the amazing engine you have on your hands now.

Oh and the switching between Vella and Shay is so perfect for when you're stuck on a puzzle (not that I ever was).

Keep rocking - and THANK YOU!!!

Loved every single second of it! :)

Congratulations on making one of the most beautiful and unique games of the past decade.

You guys are amazing!

So, i just finished act 1 today. After spending 1h every day (unfortunataly i have to work - no like in the good old days after school playing till my eyes closed *G*) i was realy sad after it was over. It has took me in this beautiful world with this perfect images, sounds, voices and music and dialogs ...

Maybe it was a little to easy to play through, but i guess it's kind of subjective. Others may feel different. Or maybe after playing all the old adventure games you'r not so easally to pleased with riddles ;)

All in all I'm happy to got my money into this even after the kickstarter campaign was closed. It was worth it and i can't wait to see this amazing story "playing" on.

Thank you for all the hard work and the love for the details!!!

Cheers from Germany

Andreas

I have a love hate relationship with adventure games. Even the best seem to throw illogical puzzles in my path to slow me down and that kicks me out of the world. Broken age (so far) has been a completely seamless experience and I have been wallowing in it.

(Full disclosure here - I am an animator) I love the art style and the animation (despite the occasional graphical glitch), The scene cutting is brilliant and the story has me hungry for more. You really have pushed the medium forward here.

In short. A happy backer who hopes you do more of these (Without a publisher) :-)

I now want to make something like this myself.

Dave

Thanks Tim and everyone at DF!

I loved every second of the game.

The Yarn Pals are the cutest thing ever.

The ending messed with me in a great way.

The game really reminded me of Full Throttle: intense, cinematic, reasonable puzzles.

I really hope you'll get to make more games like this.

Based on the first batch of reviews, things are looking good.

I'm really impressed - the artistry is awesome. I like just wandering around the environments taking to the characters - there are so many little details all over the place. Awesome job & thanks to everyone at DF :) :)

I just love it, has a lot of soul, impressive atmoshpere, music, great voices/characters, superb dialogue. Together with the documentary experience, easily one of the best things that happened to me in the last few years.

So, I'll fine have to download and play Act 1 this weekend. Lookin' forward to it.

Smiles

Thanks Tim, part 1 was awesome!

Looking forward to the documentary+game BluRay release. And maybe you'll add The Cave too if there's any space left on the disc. ;)

Finished Act I and quite enjoyed it. Thanks to the team and congrats! It has been a pleasure being a backer and I look forward to Act 2.

Ultimately I find myself having really enjoyed part 1. It started off a bit slow initially and I found myself feeling that you were really just moving from one room to the next. The "world" which Vela inhabits appears to be exceptionally small which is in stark contrast to earlier adventure games such as Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and Monkey Island which served to paint a far larger picture. Each "town" or "area" seems to consist of maybe 2-3 screens and there's only around 4 distinct actual areas. As far as scope/scale is concerned it seemed a bit claustrophobic.

When it came to Shay's ship however, I felt it was a lot more interesting given the multiple rooms and the "sprawling" space that was laid out. Which is the kind of scale I would have preferred for *each* town, not just each half of Act 1. It also felt like there was a lot more to do on Shay's side with more use of inventory and just more to pick up and use. But overall most of the areas just seemed very stark with only a small amount of real interaction. It was unfortunate but I found it didn't detract from the overall experience in the end.

I was saddened by the length (although maybe I played it longer than it felt, I'm not sure) and it felt like I breezed through the game, where the "puzzles" really just felt like something to block you from moving onwards to something else. There was no real challenge to a lot of them except for the riddle which had me stuck for a good while, and an ah-ha moment which I thoroughly enjoyed in one of the earlier puzzles. On the plus side however, I never felt that the puzzles were illogical or made no sense, and I felt they were reasonably well thought out, if just a bit *too* accessible.

I would say generally I loved all the characters, I think the voice acting was great, with the characters and story easily being the strongest portion of the game, despite most of them actually just being a bunch of talking heads. We never really get to dive into Harm'ny or the rest of the cult's motivations, nor do we ever really solve anyone else's problems through the course of our actions. Sky girl remains glum, cult family remains cult family, with mother relegated to creating cloud shoes, scared lumberjack remains scared lumberjack, and nothing changes in their lives. It would have been great if Vela wasn't so one-dimensionally focused on Mog Chothra and instead cared about and tried to help others. It would serve to make her a bit more endearing and would let us feel that we actually have an impact on these people instead of them just being places we find out things. I had heard that you should play the game in a particular order (although I didn't know what that order was), so I played Vela first and then switched to Shay near the end of her story. I then played Shay, got to the end of his act, and then switched automatically back to Vela to finish off hers, and I never saw what came.

As for the art style, overall I really enjoyed it and I thought there was a lot of creativity on display. There were some visual glitches (incorrect mouth animations/placement, sometimes sections of body showing in incorrect z-order, and so on), and I was a little disappointed that most of the scenes tended to be very static. I'm still not entirely sold on some of the scenery purely because we have situations where you're zoomed in on a scene and your characters are crisp and then the backdrops are very low resolution and look messy as a result - it makes the otherwise enjoyable art style seem a little... gross. It would have been far nicer if those selected areas that you know you're going to zoom on could display more detail as you actually zoomed in so that visually it remains on par with the surrounding characters.

Finally the Act 1 ending is what really made the entire journey so far stick with me. The reveal was fantastic and completely unexpected. My response quite literally was for me to sit there saying "whaaaaat?". It suddenly put everything that we had been seeing in context with both characters and it's made me very excited for the second act, even though I have no idea where it's going to go. There are a lot of questions one can now ask and a lot of "so then what does that mean..." type conversations one can have with ones self.

Overall it was a great first act, and I'm looking forward to Act 2. I would really hope the team is considering adding more meat to Act 2 than Act 1, and help us feel a bit more like what the characters are doing has an impact (whether good or bad) on the world around them instead of the characters in the world just being there *for* Vela/Shay. I found the mystery surrounding characters and there being something larger was far better realised with Shay than Vela.

Long story short, great game, loved it, has some issues that I hope get addressed for Act 2, and really can't wait to get the rest of the story.

Just finished Act 1 and loved it! Congratulations Tim and the Broken Age team. You have created something really special here.

I've lapped up every single documentary from 2PP, watching you create the game, working your way around various problems along the way, so it's great to see the game finally appear in my Steam account and to play through it. I love the story, the visuals and the music, which all mesh together extremely well. The game is nicely polished, and it's clear that the team have put a lot of love into the creative process. The game has also made me laugh out loud at various points!

In short it's everything this backer wanted. I can't wait for Act 2!

[EDIT] Forgot to mention the voice acting as well, which was superb!

I'm only 2 hours into Act 1 so far, but I am loving every second of it. The adventure game genre matches the humour and style of the Double Fine team so incredibly well, and it's a joy to behold. I'm currently 3/4 of the way through yet another playthrough of Grim Fandango, and it's wonderful to get nostalgic whiffs of the glory days of adventure games, combined with a gorgeously unique art style and brilliant sound design. Thank you, Tim, and to the whole team, including 2PP, I cannot wait to play the game in its entirety, and finish the last documentary episode.

Best spent $30 of my entire life :D

I played both Vella's and Shay's scenarios, and completed them, and I have to say... I am SO looking forward to Act 2!

I'm glad I beta tested this game! ^_^

Sign in to follow this