Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

One last thanks from me before the storm

Hi there,

my overall experience with Broken Age?

I am loving it!

Thank You Very Much Doube Fine.

But, as you should have recognised by now.

Act 1 is too easy. I don't think that's bad, because Act 2 will be harder (Tim already said so in the last Epsiode)

and the game as a whole will have a good balance.

Once Again, Thanks for the opportunity to be part of this project.

Thank you! I've really enjoyed the behind-the-scenes post and documentary, so much that the game feels like a bonus at this point. Congrats to you all on the game release; I'm glad you got to make an adventure game once again!

Thank you for giving us this fantastic first act of Broken Age.

It exceeds my expectations for a classic adventure game.

I've played through Shay's story and am (I think) most of the way through Vella's. It's beautifully done and hugely enjoyable. The art, writing, music and voice acting work perfectly together and the whole family is loving the hell of out it.

My only qualm is the difficulty. The pinnacles for adventure gaming for me are Act 2 of MI2 with the three islands and the central part of Day of the Tentacle, when you have a huge interlocking whirl of puzzles, objects, locations and characters and you gradually manage to tease out the solutions with one eureka moment after another. I'm hoping for more of this from Act 2 but even if it remains as easy the first act, it's still a wonderful experience.

Thanks again to Tim and the entire REDS team and of course to 2PP, because the documentary is the icing on the cake for this whole Kickstarter experience.

I've never posted here, but I've been following every step of the way. This is a fantastic experience that you guys have created. I enjoy everything that you guys develop and I've been getting the word out about the game. Thank you so much for your dedication to this project. As a future developer, It means so much to me that you guys do what you do. I hope sales reflect the amount of time,effort and love you guys have put into this game. Cheers!

I've played through Shay's story and really loved it (sadly got hit with a bug that seems to have undone all of my progress), but can't wait to start on Vella's story. Great work. I think I like this way better than what the original Kickstarter idea for a small adventure game was. Great choice on that. You have a real winner here.

Also, great work to 2 player productions. I have been watching them every few months and finally finished episode 13 today. Great job as always on those.

My only qualm is the difficulty. The pinnacles for adventure gaming for me are Act 2 of MI2 with the three islands and the central part of Day of the Tentacle, when you have a huge interlocking whirl of puzzles, objects, locations and characters and you gradually manage to tease out the solutions with one eureka moment after another. I'm hoping for more of this from Act 2 but even if it remains as easy the first act, it's still a wonderful experience.

They did say in Episode 13 that they are planning on ramping up the difficulty a bit for act 2. Everything I have played so far does have really sound logic behind it, but I agree it would be great to have more complex puzzles.

Finished Act 1 now and with all the others in agreeing how cool of a story it's turning out so far! Can't wait to play Act 2!

Double Fine did everything perfectly with Broken Age- art, animation, programming and mechanics, music, sound, and voice overs. So glad to be a part of this! Sure was cool to see all the backers names in the end credits too!

Add my thanks here too - posted my thoughts and specifics elsewhere already but suffice to say I have zero regrets backing this project and have enjoyed seeing the process just as much as playing the game :)

I finally had the time to start playing Broken Age and I am having such a great time with it. The story is just absolutely captivating and the game is so beautiful, I want to hang every single scene on my wall. Yes, the puzzles are not very hard, but the whole game has such a nice flow. It is so immensely satisfying to just lose myself in it. For me this is the best adventure I played in years and I want to thank you for it. Tim, as a writer you are a big inspiration and Bagel, you just became one of my favorite artists. Thank you, Double Fine!

Now that I've finished the game, I just wanted to come back to thank you and team Reds again. It's such a beautiful game. The art, music, writing, animation, sound design: it's all absolutely stunning! While I agree with some of the more constructive criticism on the difficulty of the puzzles, I also really liked how the puzzle design blended together with the story. None of the puzzles felt like obtrusive blockers, just to prevent the player from progressing the narrative. To me they really felt naturally integrated into the world.

Also huge compliments to Lee and the art team for establishing such a beautiful visual style. I already liked the dynamic camera that Lee tested in After Effects two years ago, but seeing it in action in-game just blew me away. Not only did it provide for a much more modern feel, it also made the cutscenes blend very well into the game.

I'm really looking forward to part 2. I wasn't sure about the early access-stuff, but for me as a backer it has been a great experience. It's going to be even more fun to watch the documentary episodes about the development of the second act. The last two years have been a blast. I'm going to be sad when it's over.

Thanks so much, I just finished the Act 1 this morning (with my girlfriend) and it was amazingly brilliant.

Can't wait for act 2 ! You've all done an amazing job.

The Art and Sound of this game is amazing!

When I saw the first scenes of the game in the documentation, I was a little skeptical with the 3D engine and a little sad that there are no pixel animated characters like in the old adventure games. But now, after I finished the Act 1, I'm convinced that this was the right decision. It looks really nice, also in high resolutions.

Thank you REDS Team and Tim.

I've just finished to play Act 1 and loved every single bit of it!

Thank you Tim, thank you REDS team and all the people at DF and 2PP.

Can't wait to play and see what will happen in act 2!

Just finished it all, and I'm stunned. Can't wait to see where the story goes later on!

Thank you Tim and team for making Broken Age. It was a pleasure being a backer, and given the chance, I would back again. Having the documentary was great.

Thanks and congratulations, Tim and the Double Fine team!

It's been a real privilege and a joy to follow the development process of this game.

The game looks & sounds stunning. Special thanks to Oliver for making it run so smoothly on my antiquated iMac!

It's a beautiful game in every way, guys! The tone, the visuals, the theme, all of it is just so gorgeous, lovely and warm. I loved every second. It made me realize how much I love unapologetic point-and-click adventure games. They let me wander, be curious and experiment, and they also tend to be very mellow so you can reflect on things.

You probably get this a lot (tough cookies!): Tim, I've been playing your games since I was a little kid (I still vividly remember the first time I played Grim Fandango, almost 15 years ago! Damn...), I've played everything you made and I just want to say; there's something really special about your work. It makes me happy. So, thanks!

It does make me kinda sad that a beautiful game like this one needs to be fan-funded these days.

It does make me kinda sad that a beautiful game like this one needs to be fan-funded these days.

On the flip side, isn't it great that we, as fans, could help create something so beautiful :D?

Haven't basically posted since the start of the project, but i wanted to say 3 things:

1) This game is just a joy to play. The music, the visual design, the dialogues, the animations (absolutely brilliant!) and the characters...all remind me of why i love adventure games so much

2) Best. Cliffhanger. Ever.

3) I understand that Act 1 was supposed to be easier, but now for Act 2 please focus on making puzzles harder! The game almost played itself, only once i got stuck and managed to experience that magic AH-HA! moment :(

Thanks again, between this and The Banner Saga i had a blast!

All I can say is, that you and Double Fine have created a work of Art.

Tim, please, please, please write more stories.

Waiting for ACT II but still wanted to voice excitement that some can while waiting.

Me: I just downloaded Broken Age! Come on, I will show you!

My girlfriend: Meh. Well, OK.

(30 minutes later)

Me: Wow, that's a great game, but I have to make a supper now (I live in Poland, so it's pretty late).

My girlfriend: Are you kidding me?! Sit down and DON'T YOU DARE STOP PLAYING.

:D

Your girlfriend is rad.

I am just "Soaking up the Grandeur" over here.

Man, where to start.

The EPIC THEMES!

Tim, you marvellous creative gentleman. You have delivered us this Star-Warsian masterpiece filled with the energy and potential of youth, facing fear, darkness, and grand dramatic challenges! Oh man. The whole fucking thing came together, dude. This is a totally legit, bona-fide new golden entry in the Schaefer adventure game canon and I am so glad I got this first-class front-row seat to watch it all happen. Congratulations, man. It's been real.

That HUMOUR!

Grandpa accepting the cupcake! The sass-talking utensils! The actual post-ironic Lumberjack Hipster! (YESS!!! I actually cheered when he came onto the screen. Waxing lyrical about things he used to like, but doesn't anymore, owning weird stuff, and super-specific tiny criticisms of things... so good. Thanks for keeping Curtis HIPSTERJACK in the game, he was awesome. And the Dialogue Tree. Also great.)

That PAINTERLY ART!

Bagelmeister and Lee, you did it dudes. Just from the first moments of that title screen, you immediately know that this is some kind of fantastical magnum opus, like it just utterly demands your full attention, so you can wring every single iota of enjoyment out of the process of immersing yourself in these amazing worlds. It's like lowering yourself into a hot steamy bath bedecked with a mesmerising moving rainbow gallery of hot oils and canvas. But in a good way. Every screen. Every scene. Each character. The magic.

The BAD-ASSED PARALLAX!

Stellar job, Lee. I loved that parallax foreground-to-background uber transition you have going on. I still vividly remember the early After Effects demo that you shared here in the forums, thinking that it was an ingenious philosophy and wild idea for transitioning around, but sock my jocks, it really turned out so natural and seamless. In fact I had a weird kind of "3D belief" going on while playing through the environments, they were that well integrated. I never once had the feeling that they were actually flat. But, like, they are. You know what I'm saying? I completely related to them as though they were a 3D space, and I'm sure this is due to the hectic transitions.

That ENGINE!

Massive hat tip here to Oliver Franzke. Boy, it really shines. There are so many super-subtle high tech effects going on, but handled so

tastefully and with such decisive judgement to retain the essential appeal and tones of the painterly style. And it runs super smoothly. Like olive oil blended with hot butter. Great stuff. And you have somehow fitted this thing into mobile devices. This is like cramming a gas-giant into a macchiato glass. HOW?!?!?!! I mean, I watched your presentation, I heard the words, I saw the demos, I believe you have done it... but it still seems impossible to me. HOW?!?!?! In fact beyond tipping my hat, I have thrown it on the ground, and now I am vigorously stamping on the felt! HOW!-HOW!-HOW!

And about that, a prediction: I bet you this thing will EXPLODE on the app stores. Can you even think of anything anywhere near as inspired, polished and gut-bustingly good as this on those otherwise miserable shopping trolleys of trash? It will easily be the best thing out there. I daresay that on PC, we are seeing barely the tip of the iceberg in terms of the millions of people that are going to get such enjoyment out of out this game on all the other platforms.

That MUSIC!

It was of course tremendous watching the creative process in the documentary with Peter McConnell and the orchestra recordings. But wow. The score is so emotive, and artful, and majestic. Bravo.

Props to Greg also, for keeping the whole disintegrating rocket stack assembled in flight, using sticky tape and prayers.

Not to leave out everyone else, you all did good as well. ;-)

Seriously, any one of you fantastic professionals who worked on this, you should all really take pride in what you have created here. You will look back on this time with wonder in the years to come, and it will make you want to cry.

I'm not quite as wordy as others... so I'll just say that I loved Act I, but that it was way too easy.

Broken Age, what a great game.

I haven't followed the developement (hate spoilers), so I didn't know what to expect.

Incredibly that nowadays games can still surprise you. Act1 is awesome on so many levels!

(Only downside, a bid to easy and (of course) way to short.)

Sign in to follow this