Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

Not sure about the other stuff. I'm in the process of figuring it out with my team. Also do you guys think about 20-30 minutes of gameplay is too much or too little for a student game project? Because thats about what we're aiming for

That's about what you get out of a prototype from Amnesia Fortnight. And it's a good start. Don't plan for more because you will have to cut it out in the end. Go for 20 minutes (this will be hard enough) and maybe add more if there is still time.

On the other hand horror is something that needs to build up. It has to creep up on you so any lower than 20 might be ineffective.

Still look at the 10 minutes of Slender that people pretend is scary and play for hours on youtube to make infinite ad-money.

Alright cool, thanks for the feedback. After my first meeting with my team today it looks like we're leaning a little more to survival than horror, so we might not go in that direction after all.

Also it's still really early, but just from the first meeting I can see that we're having a hard time thinking of concepts and mechanics that help support the survival/horror thing. There's been some really cool ideas thrown around but they ultimately don't help with the core idea of it being a survival game

Maybe have a simple system for randomly generating distinct-looking characters, and then have it so that the previous characters can show up again as monsters/remains in later runs? A successful run might only be 30 minutes long, but it might take multiple tries to get there.

Interesting.. there are 3 threads on the opening page of EGR about feelings over women. And not one on men. Clearly we men are being under represented.

I (think) I was the only woman having feelings over women in the thread, but I dealt with it by breaking up with her. She was too busy to be in a relationship, and doesn't know if she's actually bi or not. We're still going to be friends, though.

I'm going to keep marathoning Real Ghostbusters and things will be alright.

I'm sorry to hear that. Also sorry I disappeared when we were talking on Steam last night. My laptop froze up and I was tired, so I went to sleep.

@Few: Ooh, neato idea. I'll keep that on file for when we start introducing more sub-mechanic type things. I still have to run everything by the lecturers and get them approved.

@Fhqwhgads: Yeah, Lone Survivor is actually one of the inspiration games I listed alongside Gregory Horror Show when I pitched the idea We're trying not to go down the route of post-apocalyptic virus breakout though. Maybe something more psychological or supernatural. Maybe not even really horror, like GHS, which was just way more tense and nerve-racking.

I spent a whole math class yesterday working on calculating pie by hand, it wasn't productive but it was oddly rewarding.

I also got to eat pie at the end.

Aw jeez... that's not good. I'm sure I speak for us all when I wish her the best.

Yeah, I hope she gets better soon. Any idea what's wrong with her heart?

But don't tell my heart, my achy break heart, I just don't think it'd understand...

I'm sorry. I had to.

1) I'm pretty certain they never found out who did that.

2) The poor nurse the was fucking terrified because some drunk asshole grabed her and forced her to kiss him.

3) That's (sexual) assault, for those of you keeping score at home.

---

My mom is okay, there's no identifiable problems with her heart, but her resting pulse is still over 100 after an hour.

I hope everything goes OK for your mom Feddlefew.

My mom had her heart thicken from overactivity (because the heart is a muscle) due to stress, so it's good that your mom is having doctors keep an eye on it.

Hope your mom doesnt have anything sever

My mother had an irregular cardiograph during joint replacement surgery o her hand. Doctors didnt ind anything

Mmmmgreaaaat there's only been 1 meeting with my group and they already want to settle on a story, even though we haven't worked out some other pressing issues yet.

I understand the need for being concise and not wasting any time but holy crap people, can we for once NOT push out a half-baked idea and then spend the last few weeks of the project scrambling to justify and rectify bad choices because no one wanted to think about this stuff at the beginning???

I finally bought a Punisher shirt.

I am now legally obliged to redo my review of Punisher: War Zone while wearing it.

I'm sorry to hear that. Also sorry I disappeared when we were talking on Steam last night. My laptop froze up and I was tired, so I went to sleep.

No worries. She's been really vacant for over a year, and we barely got to talk, and when we did, she snapped at me, without me knowing why. I feel like I got over the breakup before we had actually broken up.

@Fhqwhgads: I hope things work out better for your grandmother.

@Feddie: I'm glad your mom's alright!

@Cool/Feddie: I've heard several women claiming to be the nurse, all with conflicting stories. IDK what the real story is, honestly.

@Carl: Best of luck on the project. I have the same problem whenever I'm in a group. It sucks. :<

Mom is home and okay!

That's what they want you to believe. She's actually a clone made by some evil corporation

War: You're about to murder millions of people.

Kate: To save billions. How many times have you made that calculation?

11: Once. Turned me into the man I am now. I'm not even sure who that is any more.

10: You tell yourself it's justified, but it's a lie. Because what I did that day was wrong. Just wrong.

So many people on okcupid are living their life to the fullest. You don't even know, motherfuckers. Why you no live your life to the fullest?

So many people on okcupid are living their life to the fullest. You don't even know, motherfuckers. Why you no live your life to the fullest?

I'd run out of places to hide the bodies, I'm afraid. Gacy had that problem as well.

I'm not sure they know what that phrase means. Living life to the fullest means not hanging out on okcupid. Because if you were doing a lot of fun things, you would know so many people that you'd end up with a date by accident.

I should know. That's how I live my life. Accidentally going on dates and finding out how obvious it was to everyone who isn't me.

Okay one more game-project-lead-Carl post because I seriously need some input from gamer people that can actually articulate their thoughts well (ie you guys) :

So, I kind of feel like survival horror might not have been such a hot idea to go with as a first try for a serious game project. What I'm mostly worried about is if the final product ends up being anywhere in the same ballpark of survival horror. I myself don't really like alot of the defining aspects of the genre and I really only pitched the idea based on one particular game that fits more into sort of puzzle-adventure hybrid with maybe some horror and stealth elements.

In my meeting tomorrow we've all agreed to do some scaling back and thus some gameplay concepts and mechanics we've been talking about are bound to be axed. I guess what I'm mostly worried about is if I get rid or keep some features but not others, am I serving the idea of my game being a survival horror? Or should I just go with whatever sounds fun or interesting, don't let the genre restrict anything too much, and if the game gets away from being a survival horror in the end then oh well

Or should I just go with whatever sounds fun or interesting, don't let the genre restrict anything too much, and if the game gets away from being a survival horror in the end then oh well

That sounds like the best approach. Don't let genre tie you down (in today's gaming age it's becoming harder and harder to define genres anyway since so many games seamlessly blend multiple gameplay styles together). Just strive to create a game that you enjoy playing.