Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

After coming from the Sherlock Holmes thread, I think you should do a Creepy Watson game.

Played... 2.3 Hours (that much? Yeesh) of Guise of the Wolf. Here's a few thoughts.

- The game has an option to launch in Normal or Widescreen mode, which has obviously been hastily patched in.

- The intro credits screen has a background image that looks like a drawing from a kids book.

- I cannot invert the mouse. I despise games that don't have this option. I don't ask for much, dammit.

- The NPCs look truly terrible... and I get the feeling they're not properly set on the floor during dialogue cutscenes - pretty sure one floated down a bit when they were talking to me. Weird.

- There's an incredibly out of place and irritating ditty that plays whenever you get an achievement.

- All the voices - with the exception of the protagonist - are painfully slow as well as being awful. Why do games do this?

- Graphics are awful. That black line around everything is done REALLY badly and sticks through NPCs faces.

- I discovered that you can actually mess with the soundbites from the guards by moving as they speak. If you walk, the speech actually slows down, but if you run, it speeds up. Actually really funny.

- After first escaping from the wolf and lowering the game, the camera automatically SNAPS round to see another one open, then SNAPS back to see that the wolf has vanished. It happens so fast it gives you whiplash.

- Upon attempting to enter the 'church room', the game crashed with an 'Out of Memory' error.

- There's no quick way to change back to a human, so you'll often spend up to 30 seconds just waiting around in shadows. Yay.

- One of the stained-glass windows has an APPALLINGLY bad texture. I wish I could screengrab it, but F12 does nothing since the game has no Steam integration... but DOES have achievements. *sigh*

- One area has a locked door you break open with an axe that reseals itself every time you re-enter the area. This makes no sense.

- The second wolf chase has you pulling a lever to open a door... AND THEN HIDING IN A HARD TO SEE NOOK.

- I need to find tree bark... but I've absolutely no idea where to find it. Cue a 20 minute hunt around the castle before eventually finding it right next to where I need to actually brew the potion (swiftly followed by lots of screaming)!

- This game has a learn left/right feature. It's so s**t it's actually hilarious.

- By returning to an already visited area, I can reacquire a cog I've already picked up and used to open a door.

- The woman who saved me claims she's "glad that [the wolf] brought you to me", despite only ever meeting me twice. Eager much?

- Game crashed again. Same error message. I don't like the church room.

I'm determined to see this thing through to the end now - though how much longer that'll take is beyond me. We'll see though!

There's actually one even worse. Once you turn into a wolf and make your way across the chandelier, you go through a door. On the other side of that door, right in front of you, is a window with an even worse texture than that.

I REALLY wish I could get Steam screenshots working with this thing. Maybe it's because I'm running it at high resolution?

Also, there's a demo if you can't justify getting it in the Groupees Build-a-Bundle thing for 50 cents.

Turns out it WAS because I was running the game in High Res - doing so disables the Steam overlay. So stupid...

But hey, at least I managed to get a screenshot of the window:

9639CF00B7ACB00B2416CB7DA38960A4C9FF24F3

Why is it that when I saw this at the grocery store

gyctE1n.jpg

My immediate thought was of this kid:

Fdm96L4.gif

...so I finally get to the distinctly underwhelming ending...

...and the game crashes on me.

...yeah, done.

The interesting thing about horror, Carl, is it can be both a gameplay motif and a story motif, so why not a horror game with an easier-to-manage genre? Horror platformer or RPG?

Re. Guise of the Wolf: guess I'll avoid it then. The screenshots on Steam show both 3D rendering as well as cell-shaded art which is kind of a weird combination- usually it's just one or the other. Putting together like that reminds me of the weird 1978 versions of Lord of the Rings which composited both animation along with rotoscoped live action footage.

@Carl: Cool! Will you be allowed to show us any video or screenshots of the project after you guys are finished?

Obama is visiting Brussels in a week. On the same day I'm taking the first part of the security guard exam...in Brussels.

Just went to pick up a parcel that didn't have enough postage on it... again.

Turns out it was a Disney Infinity Disc sent in a standard envelope with a second-class stamp on it... but since it was thicker than 5MM, it should have had a small parcel stamp. But hey, at least I only had to pay £1.19 this time round.

I hate Royal Mail.

@Jenni: Yeah I guess that's the best route, considering the survival horror genre is kind of tropey and predictable. I know that you can't really have a game and call it survivor horror without some key elements though, so I think for a first try I'm just gonna start with really small subversions. For example, instead of a spooky Victorian era or modern day setting we decided why not try for a 50's sort of environment?

@RetroVortex: I've been thinking about this one alot. We've got some some ideas for mechanics that ultimately don't mean crap at this point so I really really hope the rest of the programmers in the team are getting familiar with Unity so we can start implementing, testing, and then promptly dropping those mechanics like a sack of bricks if they don't work out. So far it's been pretty challenging balancing a narrative with mechanics but I hope once we set up the former the latter will follow a little more easily

@medacris: We're pretty much banned forever from doing RPGs. And yeah I can see why after my own sad attempts to do it. Waaaay too much stuff consider and tends to be on the story-heavy side. I originally pitched the game as a kind of metroidvania-esque platformer (trust me, it doesn't make any sense to me either but like I said I came up with the idea overnight) but everyone seems more inclined to a more story-driven, exploration kind of game. So eh, I'm just gonna go with the flow. Just because I pitched the idea and everyone seems to like it doesn't mean I have any clue what I'm doing

@Acefox: Dunno. I'm told that this game will be shown to industry people some time after it gets done so I imagine we won't be allowed to share much from it until after that point

I want to smash my head against a wall I said in the pitch one of they KEY FEATURES I would like to retain is ABSOLUTELY NO GODDAMN JUMPSCARES JESUS TITTY LOVING CHRIST NO NO NO NO NO we are NOT doing the thing literally every single survival horror does every time and then literally everyone points out how cheap and crappy it is. If there is ANYTHING that needs to be ditched and left for dead in the water it's jumpscares. THAT is a trope I am willing to subvert a thousand times over with maximum confidence

Then I log onto the Facebook discussion group and what do I see? A post asking "So what are we doing for jumpscares?"

Jumpscares need to be backed up by genuine paranioa well before they happen. That's why Slender Man works- you know he's going to show up at some point, you just don't know when, where, or how much of the outside world you'll be able to wall off with the bricks you shit.

My suggestion would be to build a randomized, side scrolling hotel. Start out with a generic "Evil cult summons eldrich abomination, which made this place all evil and non-euclidian. Random travelers that get trapped and die or turn into evil monsters, ect. Can't leave the hotel once entered." Gradually reveal that the real reason the hotel is so messed up is that someone bound the entity there a long, long time ago, and the hotel staff willingly gave up their humanity to contain it.

Other ideas:

-Doors that cannot be closed once they're opened- locks fall off or jam the doors open, hinges break, doors suddenly don't fill the door frame...

-Have a "sanity" bar that only really determines if the character starts panicking- have a hidden (but still shows noticeable signs of) corruption/knowlage counter which causes a game over if it maxes out.

Oh it'll be side-scrolling for sure, I'm finding out. When they said it had to be a 2D game they meant no top-downs unless you really think you can do it, since Unity's 2D feature seems to be built more for platformers and sidescrollers alike.

We already have a basic, generic story going on. It's sort of based on Roald Dahl's The Landlady which itself is already a pretty generic "you are now trapped and cannot leave" sort of plot, but we chose it because it's deliberately left open at the end.

I like the idea of a randomized hotel or at least hallways because it messes with your perception, but was also warned away from that because it has the potential to be very, very frustrating to both play and implement. Maybe doors that don't always lead to the same place instead?

Oh it'll be side-scrolling for sure, I'm finding out. When they said it had to be a 2D game they meant no top-downs unless you really think you can do it, since Unity's 2D feature seems to be built more for platformers and sidescrollers alike.

We already have a basic, generic story going on. It's sort of based on Roald Dahl's The Landlady which itself is already a pretty generic "you are now trapped and cannot leave" sort of plot, but we chose it because it's deliberately left open at the end.

I like the idea of a randomized hotel or at least hallways because it messes with your perception, but was also warned away from that because it has the potential to be very, very frustrating to both play and implement. Maybe doors that don't always lead to the same place instead?

There would have to be a way to tell were you will usually end up if you do that.

Start out with a generic "Evil cult summons eldrich abomination, which made this place all evil and non-euclidian.

If there was a DFAF drinking game, 2 shots every time Feddlefew mentions "eldrich".

Just completed my March Madness bracket, $1 billion here I come.

There would have to be a way to tell were you will usually end up if you do that.

Yeah there's this... kind of schedule system so maybe doors can only lead to a different area than usual at certain times or something.

My big challenge now is to get them away from ideas that they think should be scary like your run of the mill ghosts and ghouls and instead focus on things that are actually scary. Or just y'know, stop thinking about how many cheap scares we can cram in and start thinking about concepts or mechanics that are fun or interesting and THEN tie those into the survival horror theme.

Yeah there's this... kind of schedule system so maybe doors can only lead to a different area than usual at certain times or something.

My big challenge now is to get them away from ideas that they think should be scary like your run of the mill ghosts and ghouls and instead focus on things that are actually scary. Or just y'know, stop thinking about how many cheap scares we can cram in and start thinking about concepts or mechanics that are fun or interesting and THEN tie those into the survival horror theme.

Things that don't work the way they're supposed to are scary. Take zombies, for instance: The were scary when they were just corpses that start moving, and now that they've got elaborate rules around how they work, they've stopped being scary.

So mess around with player expectations. Have monstrous tailors that heal you at the cost of your sanity (or very slowly turning you into one of them) when they catch you. An abomination that can only enter rooms that have been sealed off. Small, squirmy bits of reanimated meat that try to feed themselves to you because that's what was supposed to happen.

I sent Brentalfloss a thank you email, and it took quite a while but he thanked me for my thanks.

(Goddamnit! I don't see how anyone could ever hate Mr. Clean! haha!)

I'm not happy and drinking isn't helping but drinking is what I'm doing.

Dealing with a person who's trying to convince me that because science says "there's stuff out there we haven't discovered yet", that her belief in fairies and unicorns is totally valid ("Everything that hasn't been proven also hasn't been disproven, right?"), and any scientist who doesn't realize that hasn't even passed their 101 courses, and she, with no science degree, is clearly much more well-educated than me, someone who is about to graduate with a Bachelor's in Psychology.

MFW:

tumblr_n1j00pca8d1qz9m8ao1_1280.gif

tumblr_inline_n28wd9XOWj1r04g7t.gif