Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

I'm in one of those slumps again where absolute zero games sound fun to play... =\

didn't your mama tell you not to play Metroid: Other M

I'd get depressed too

I dunno. Sometimes it just means I need to do some other things for a while. I played guitar for a while and did some writing and now feel a little better. Keep getting stuck on my writing project though.

Any specific element you're struggling with on your project Anemone?

I just keep hitting plot holes I need to fill is all. Like I'll get this concept going where I know it starts with some characters doing A and ends with them doing C, but then I either am not sure what the B step is or else I know roughly what the A, B, C sequence should be, but I don't feel like the motivations are quite right. The chemistry doesn't feel right. Just that sort of thing. I'll get it sorted out eventually, but sometimes it takes a few days.

That movie is Hamlet 2 by the way, which I highly recommend watching. Or if you don't feel like watching it, then you should at least watch the finale, which is a musical number titled "Rock Me Sexy Jesus". It is one of my favorite things ever put to film. It's the finale and the best part of the movie, though, so spoiler warning if you actually wanna see it. It's Steve Coogan and had a couple of South Park writers on it.

I'm not sure what my process is for that kind of wall exactly. I guess I just try to identify what is actually vitally important to the concept I'm trying to explore, like in character terms, versus what are things that are just dressing, or things that I might just be hanging onto because I just like them and don't want to let them go for some reason? So I try to sit down and force myself to identify some things that I can let go and say, well, it hurts, but let's see what happens when we just do something completely different with this setting, and this character's occupation, and let's make these two characters siblings instead of just classmates, and let's cut this character altogether, etc etc. Then put the whole thing back into the pot and stir it up and see if anything interesting happens. And a lot of times something happens that gets the juices flowing again.

When I get out the hedge trimmers, it always feels like the worst thing. Like I am destroying it. But then it actually ends up just sort of organically becoming something else that's cool in a different way.

k2-_859d770a-e9e3-4ea7-9fd6-0ac6534676cf.v1.jpg

I guess the way I kinda feel about it is that if I'm writing what I would LIKE to happen, then it's not right. That's not chemistry. That's me forcing something onto it. It has to be what MUST happen.

What is up with South Park this season. 4 minutes into episode 2 and I already can't breathe from laughter. Holy hell they have a great start.

LOL Canadian Trump!

k2-_859d770a-e9e3-4ea7-9fd6-0ac6534676cf.v1.jpg

I think I need one of those for my cat.

The poor old bugger has had a terrible fur matting problem lately.

I got a new comb that does the job for the most part (looks so damn brutal too: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31PdA5jH1vL.jpg), but I'm literally pulling chunks of fur off the poor old bugger. (He just hates being touched on the stomach. But those mats have to go before they get out of control and need to be surgically removed by a vet)

I've never heard my cat growl and hiss, and kick as much as he's done lately. (Though he IS getting used to it. I've been giving him food after every grooming session. I try to remove 1 or two chunks of fur at a time. It probably does hurt quite a bit but my old cat is a trooper and can dish it out too. He gave us a massive revenge poop in the kitchen the other day. Normally I'd be mad, but to be fair he's under quite a lot of stress lately with new cats around, these mats, the grooming, and the crap weather)

I'm about 60% done doing that though, but there's a massive one on him that looks like it could use a damn hedge clipper to get off.

Maybe I can help. Does your cat use MLA fur matting or APA fur matting?

Trollface.png

Maybe I can help. Does your cat use MLA fur matting or APA fur matting?

Trollface.png

Oh har de har.

I'm sure the humour would be lost on my cat. He'd probably have you for that one.

Just got another few hard fur chunks off him. (I think he has a little bit of a bald patch now on his tummy, but I have to keep going till they are all gone. It's for his own good and he's shedding his fur for his winter coat now anyway. Fur mats can be painful on the skin, build up odour and in some cases, cause infections since they collect all sorts of dirt and crap from the environment, and once the fleas come back to the town it will be torture for him, since I doubt that even a packet of Advantage will provide much relief)

It seems mean to keep waking him up during his day naps to do it. But I need to do it quickly before he wakes up fully and starts kicking and hissing.

(I think now that he knows he gets a slice of salami/pepperoni/his dinner for co-operating he'll tolerate it for a few minutes before going aggro on me)

He does calm down quickly enough when I put him outside for a little bit to cool off. (I'm quite lucky he's a very forgiving cat really. I do pamper him a lot and tell him he's a good boy after so I think he knows I'm doing it for some sort of good reason)

It's possible we're talking about the same thing and just putting it into words differently. I can't really think of it as just snapping legos together though. I mean, if I just picked out a handful of legos based on, well, I like the shape of this block, and I like the color of this one, and I like that this one has a propeller on it.... I'd like to build something out of all these individual blocks that I like! And then I try to snap them together, then maybe I get lucky and it actually kinda makes something, but maybe it's just a pile of random crap that I like that doesn't really add up to anything interesting no matter how many hours I spend rearranging them. (People pitch video games like this to game devs: "Okay, so I have a game idea: it's an open-world mmo fps rpg with tower defense elements zombie apocalypse survival game where the environments are fully destructible!" Just snapping together concepts I like isn't creating, though I realize I'm dumbing it down a lot in that analogy.)

But I kinda see what you're saying where it's like, okay, so I'm building a fire truck. That's the overall vision. Therefore, I gotta get rid of the propellers and the green blocks, because those don't really fit the vision. I need some wheels though. Or something like that.

But I don't know if the lego metaphor really applies as well for me because that still puts the creator in a position of too much manual control. I'd describe it as more like gardening for me. You take a few seeds that you think you'll like when they grow, and you plant them, and see what happens. Maybe once you actually see them grown, they look okay, but not as good as you thought---especially right next to the daffodils, so let's pull those up and plant something else next to the daffodils and see if that works better. Trim a leaf here or there. It feels more like plugging ideas into a system and seeing what the end result is. So it doesn't feel like the right idea to me unless it starts to organically write itself. If it's not writing itself, that is a warning sign to me. It suggests something boring, or that I'm trying to force-fit something, or I'm trying to justify something I want to be there that really shouldn't be.

Love this facebook page. it's Dutch literally translated to English (called Dunglish or as we call it "stonecoalenglish")

this game can be fun to play with german as well...

tumblr_nnbilg4Nyp1rg365do1_1280.png

I AM FLYING MOUSE MAN.

Today's my birthday
Happy anniversary of the day you were forcibly evicted from our mother's womb.

Today's my birthday

He could have been a clone so the womb he was in wouldn't be his mother's.

The problem is that Batman is Batman in German. Sorry to disappoint you.

If that image up there is real someone fucked up.

I know. The person who made it is just doing the same kind of literal translation humor as Jel's dunglish translations. Do germans actually call the nocturnal flying mammal a "bat" in normal conversation?

Today's my birthday

I'm pretty sure you said that last year, too

Grraggghhh!!! Bloody banks.

I'm trying to sort stuff out today and make a few late night purchases, and the damn bank blocks my account and sends me an automated text.

...that I can't respond to since I'm out of credit and am in the process of switching my account over to a contract with.

So I phone up the number in the text on the housephone.

Then it asks me for a code from a voice message.... a voice message I didn't receive on my phone.

ARRGHHHAAABLLLEEEEHAAAAGGHH!

I'm just trying to sort a new phone out. I just got paid. (I'm hoping to god that it's only the last app that's been blocked. My phone has been dispatched and I don't want to not get it tomorrow. That would be infuriating)

Now I have to wait till morning to phone them up. YET AGAIN. To fix this crap.

Ugggghh...

I wish people like that would realize that nothing like that does any good for anyone involved. Especially not the animal. Dogs more so than others.

Today's my birthday

I'm pretty sure you said that last year, too

Pretty sure I say it to everyone these days. ESPECIALLY people on Facebook.