Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

i've noticed you've noticed

anyway i have some extra steam keys from buying the humble bundle. who wants them?

Dear Esther, Thomas Was Alone, Hotline Miami

Just bought the bundle, I hqve qn extrq key for Dear Esther and awesomenauts

Parents are away at work, horrifying plumbing related problem unfolding, sibling refusing to help/take responsibility. Help? D^X

Horrifying details:

Somehow, my brother managed to make a poop the diamiter of the pipe leading from the bowl to the u-bend. This is not a small pipe. Instead of doing the logical thing, and maybe admitting that there was a problem, he folded a bunch of toilet paper and covered up the problem. Thankfully the pipe is square, so when I went to use the bathroom and flushed the toilet to get rid of the large wad toilet paper "floating" in it, I didn't flood the bathroom. The usual methods (hot water and time) aren't working.

I don't know what to do. ;_;

good lord...

uh, try poke it with a stick. break it into pieces

I won't be able to use it for a while but go ahead and send them to me. I've been curious about Thomas was Alone and Hotline Miami.

anyone else want to get one? if not i'll give them all to leroy.

good lord...

uh, try poke it with a stick. break it into pieces

Tried it. Didn't work. It's too solid.

Parents called, there was yelling and he's trying to deal with it. I made him take EVERYTHING off the floor in the bathroom.

Edit: He took care of it.

Why does all the interesting stuff happen when I'm about to go to bed

This is becoming a weekly occurrence, but it's never been quite this bad before. Is this normal for men? (He mostly subsists on a diet of crackers and chips when he can get away with it).

I say you cut your losses and burn the whole house down. There is nothing else you can do.

Speaking of Humble Bundles (and changing the topic from this awful, awful thing), did anyone else get the Alan Wake bundle? It's only got a couple days left for it.

OH! My birthday gift for my brother just showed up. Some guy I know through Facebook was giving away some of his old Xbox games, and he sent me Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition to give to my brother. He's gonna dig it!

Thanks for sharing the horror with me, guys.

I don't like Alan Wake. It's like controller vibrations: The game.

i've noticed you've noticed

anyway i have some extra steam keys from buying the humble bundle. who wants them?

Dear Esther, Thomas Was Alone, Hotline Miami

Just bought the bundle, I hqve qn extrq key for Dear Esther and awesomenauts

Awesomenauts? I'm interested.

I got the Alan Wake bundle

It's weird but, My steam library is replacing my X360 library of multiplatform games. While PC + steam turned into my prefered gaming device, owning a physical copy of a game to put in a console, not tied an account has it's charms as well.

They are (probably) all busy getting their brains melted by their TV.
Given how little we actually talk about TV here, I seriously doubt that. Plus it's the middle of the day in the US. There's nothing good on anyway.

My parents went to Utah a few years ago to visit family, I went to washington DC. One thing we've noticed is that Americans have their TV's on all the time, and usually showing the news channel that repeats itself all day long. Too many and too long commercial blocks, no doubt that would be illegal here.

Well, now I ordered the other half of my brother's birthday gift. Minecraft for 360! The retail version since we don't have our consoles online. He really likes the mobile version, so he'll dig this even more. I feel good about myself today.

Today I studied for an upcoming test and read a few chapters of Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. The multigenerational scale of the first book is interesting, I like the epic scale of the story, but Asimov leans to heavily on dialogue for exposition and there's very little description or action. It's telling instead of showing via conversations between characters and I find it less than compelling, but thankfully his story itself makes up for its lackluster presentation.

It's also odd to me that of the dozens of characters that Asimov has filled out his plot with that not a single one of them is a woman, if not for an operator briefly described in a transition I would have thought the human race to have become mono gendered in the untold millennia that has passed since our departure from Earth. Which actually would be pretty interesting.

Also I don't know if it's intentional but that picture Xaromir posted has a cool effect if you scroll up and down the page while looking at it

It actually is, that's why i put it there as the #1 post of the page, so everyone would basically have to scroll, and get that effect. :3 Cool, eh?

A new

video is out. It's very good. I never realized how many games I play are using the same lame tropes to attempt to get me to care and push the story forward. I say attempt because killing the main character's wife/girlfriend at the very beginning and expecting me to care feel sad just doesn't work.

A new
video is out. It's very good. I never realized how many games I play are using the same lame tropes to attempt to get me to care and push the story forward. I say attempt because killing the main character's wife/girlfriend at the very beginning and expecting me to care feel sad just doesn't work.

Oh goody its back up!

(For those of you who don't know, the video was up for less than an hour before it was taken down for supposedly violating youtube policies.)

I didn't watch the entire video, but to be fair- isn't damsel in distress one of the oldest tropes in storytelling? A princess saved by a shining knight from some monster or evil person. I'm sure all her points still remain, but it's not just a facet of video gaming. I actually think the tired trope expresses a fact about human nature- no, not that women are helpless- but an instinctual hero fantasy common to most cultures. It certainly is refreshing when stories break out of this mold though.

Tomorrow is the final assessment day for my school for my class. We pass this one, we graduate next month.

I can't tell if I'm totally confident or really, really nervous. It seems to flip flop between both at random intervals. Maybe I'm nervous about the fact that I'm so confident. Or I'm very confident that I am indeed nervous. It is a mystery.

Also this Animal Crossing music plugin is rather amusing.

A new

not-sure-if-sarcasm-or-just-honest-remark.jpg

If i ever make a game, the plot will be driven by the bi-sexual progressing vegan protagonist's trans gender hamster getting brutally petted by a non-gender-specific alien from the planet neutralia, and i'm not sarcastic, because everyone would buy it just to find out what the hell i'm on about.

I also find it silly to kill the protagonists GF/wive to invoke sympathy. Who is supposed to relate to THAT? Most of the sad losers who are playing these games never had a girlfriend anyways. :3 *prod prod*

Joking aside: That read like one of those really over-the-top fake testimonials in teleshopping adds from the 90's. No need to start a nuclear war over an over-used story-telling cliche, mainstream publishers never finance anything original - so why be surprised?

I won't be able to use it for a while but go ahead and send them to me. I've been curious about Thomas was Alone and Hotline Miami.

anyone else want to get one? if not i'll give them all to leroy.

I see no interested parties. GIVE ME MY CODES!

Anyway, I watched the Tropes vs. Women video. I have a lot of problems with her examples. She brings up Lilli as a damsel in distress when all the kids in the camp had their brains stolen. Not to mention Sasha was being held captive too. Then she expects us to believe that Suda 51 was trying to trick people into thinking that Shadows of the Damned (AKA Dick Jokes: The Game) was mature storytelling. She also clearly mislabels a clip from The Darkness as being from The Darkness II. The last one is a minor thing, but I just feel like she did enough research to justify her points and then stopped. Don't get me wrong, she had a lot of valid points. I just think she does herself a disservice by using such shoddy evidence. I also think she should have made how this trope effects male characters a bigger focus. She just seems to briefly bring it up and then gloss over it. I am looking forward to the next video to see her examples of positive characters a bit better.

the thing where the player has to 'mercy kill' women does feel like it happens a lot in video games. developers probably think it's more powerful because the player has to pull the trigger himself but in my experience they function more as just shock value than any sort of deeply dramatic experience.

The issue I'm having with this series is that she's not really covering anything specific to games or in some cases even women. It's just outdated and over/misused tropes that could apply to any storytelling medium. The other is that she does ignore examples of men falling victims to these tropes. Yes men are rarely "Dudes in Distress" at least compared to the glut of Damsals out there. But there are plenty of examples of a male character's death being used to manipulate sympathy from a player. And I fail to see (and maybe I should watch the video) why this is misogynist. It's a storytelling tool. Stories are meant to manipulate people's feelings. It's not misogynist when a female character's death is used to spur a character into action or to justify inaction. It can be in the wrong contexts or if misused and some of these tropes should be given a nice rest/retired but overall it's just a tool and it's not exclusive (maybe skewed toward but not exclusive) to women.

I just watched another of her videos and increasingly I find myself frustrated. Not because Anita is bad or even completely wrong, I don't hate her or anything but she comes so close to making an interesting point in so many of her videos and than fails that in favor of whining (literally whining in some cases) or lecturing a particular group instead of saying anything that's constructive or justifying her opinion very well. Even when I agree with her I find myself rolling my eyes as she fails to express exactly why something doesn't work or is wrong and how to deal with it.

She's just not very good at what she's choosen to do. I could do this better and yes I know I'm not a woman so I could never understand blah, blah, blah. But what I can do is take a valid critisism and explore it properly with the detail it deserves and from as many angles as possible, boiling the trope down to it's problem elements and explaining how it could be used in a valid and non-misogyinistic way, some tropes by their nature you can't do this with unless you're subverting or inverting them, or lampshading to parody and criticize. But where the trope at it's core isn't itself a problem but it's use in context is I would explain how to approach it better from my point of view.

I don't think joking about DRM means that they will not try to restrict users, if they are smart they do it a bit like Valve aka by offering an actual service, and if not they are going to make use of their hardware DRM patent. (Remember that chip in CD business?) As i explained just a while ago: They get nothing from people buying used games, and there surely is money to be made, and i doubt that anyone is not working on it, as it proven to work - Steam basically killed the used market for PC games.

Am i the only one who worries when a "games blogs" has to explain what DRM is? Well, it doesn't say much besides: Fans are upset, CEO jokes around.

I'd really like to see scientific magazines do that. "And now for a detailed explanation of what the standard model is and what quarks do!" The poor mail man. xD I just feel that a certain amount of BASIC knowledge is to be expected when someone visits a specialized site. I will admit that i rarely read Kotaku, but i rather rarely wonder "wasn't that enough explanation half a sentence ago". Well, opinions on that may vary i guess.