Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

And then there are programming languages, new OS releases (yay, a.o. finally a new OpenGL version), music, playing instruments, sport, astronomy, films and radio plays, traveling, family and friends, interests in so many other different fields, your job, plus the daily madness. Then you know how limited your gaming time can be and why you're way more selective than once were playing as a less experienced kid/teen/young adult where parents at least took care of some of the stuff around you.

Me neither, but that looks cool. Do you plan on making anything, Jenni?

Definitely. There's a steep learning curve, since there isn't any documentation, so I have to figure stuff out from the source code. But, it looks pretty feature complete for making games with SCUMM version 6. I'm definitely having fun figuring it out, and I'm really happy whenever I get something working. I just managed to get a logo showing up and then fading out, and already I'm super excited. I've been hoping to make a game with SCUMM since I was about 7 years old, so this is like a dream come true for me. :)

That's awesome. Are you making something based on your web comic?

The game I'm working on with ScummGEN now is based on an obscure meme from The International House of Mojo (based on a fact of the moment that had to do with an anagram).

I've been working on an article on the history of SCUMM since 2012. It was originally going to be a 25th anniversary article on SCUMM, but I got wrapped up in other things and shoved it aside, then I decided to revisit the idea when Disney closed down LucasArts earlier this year. I thought it would be fun to include a Mojo themed SCUMM fan game with the article, so I've been trying for months to get ScummC to compile in Windows. I gave up, and I just found the Indy fan game demo source code, so I decided to give a try compiling ScummGEN in Windows instead.

I'm getting the hang of ScummGEN little by little. I just figured out how to do an animated logo, so I made up a logo for myself based on my short cartoon, The Cupcake Topper. It's really surreal seeing a scene from a cartoon I made playing in the SCUMM engine. :)

I'm hoping to get the SCUMM article out by the end of the year, but I don't know if the game is going to be out by then (I'm going to keep it short and sweet, just two rooms, like the other fan made SCUMM game Open Quest). If I don't finish it in time, I think I might do a non-interactive demo, as a tribute to those in-engine demo trailers from the late 1980's and early 1990's.

If I figure out ScummGEN well enough, eventually I'd like to convert my old Klik n Play adventure game I made in High School to SCUMM, since the game was inspired by Sam & Max Hit the Road.

I am making an adventure game based on my webcomic with Wintermute though (I've put it on the back burner for the time being, since making a game for SCUMM is more interesting to me right now). :)

Sounds interesting. Let us know how you get on.

Footage for Review #1 recorded. Gonna be fun sorting through it all, there's a lot of rambling going on.

Recording for Review #2 will begin shortly. Hope my voice holds out for all 7, it's running dry as is and I've barely even started!

EDIT 1: Recording #2 done. Throat getting REALLY dry. #3 starts in a moment, hope I (and the good weather) can hold out!

EDIT 2: Recording #3 done. Throat: dying. Need to take a break. Hope I can cope with #4, it's a long 'un.

EDIT 3: Recording #4 done. Throat: sore as hell. And I've still got three to go! Oh jeez...

EDIT 4: Recording #5 done. Throat: still sore. Only two to go, and these are the ones I REALLY think I need a script for. Eep...

EDIT 5: Recording #6 done. Unfortunately, it's getting dark outside, so my main source of lighting is gone and the majority of the shots I took for this one seem to be fairly dark. I'm not sure If I'll reshoot them or just use them as is. We'll have to see.

Will have to wait for the morning (at the very least) to do any further recording. Oh well, it'll give me a chance to work on my notes.

I hope you have enjoyed this sort-of chronicle of my recording schedule.

You don't have to. It was probably that Marsden fellow. You two are match made in heaven.

Figured some of you might be curious as to how my reviews are going. Well, I'm working on the first one now, and the way I'm doing is to to put together the audio first, then add visuals to it.

So I've taken the massive 45 minute block of me rambling and am sifting through it finding snippets of something resembling an actual review and dragging them into the review timeline. I'm really cutting through the chaff here - just as an example, I'm at almost the 25 minute mark of the rambling video and the review is only 5½ minutes long.

...yeah.

I'm actually shattered by now and I'm fighting off sleep, but I really want to, at the very least, get the audio section done before I go to bed so that I have something to work with going forward.

Video editing is [del]hell[/del] fun!

EDIT 1: Update! The ratio's now 32 / 7. Getting there!

That sounds like a ton of work. How long does it usually take you to make one of your reviews with preparations, recording and editing?

Honestly, it depends. Normally video game reviews take WAY longer because I have to record footage for them, but I got lucky in that all these games are really short, so it doesn't take too long to get the shots I need. Films are way easier in that regard, because I can just rip them from DVD or whatever.

I tend to write my reviews over a couple of days, in chunks, so that I can have time to mull them over in my head and rewrite stuff in my mind before putting pen to paper, so to speak. I've also started using tablets to write these things on, and I tend to write stuff while I'm on the bus to and from work, so that helps break them up as well.

As for putting them together? That's where my easy distraction levels get in the way a LOT, because I find my attention wandering a great deal. Editing the videos together isn't the most time consuming thing in the world once you've gotten the hang of it (I'm hoping to get this one done tomorrow now that I've got the audio all stitched together), but it can take anywhere from a day or so to a couple of weeks, depending on how focused I am.

Oh, and the audio for this one? Took about an hour and a half to sift through and put all the soundbites together. Final ratio was 42 minutes of rambling / 9 minutes of video, not counting my 30 second intro. Yeah, these are gonna be relatively short reviews, but there's hopefully gonna be 7 of them, so whatever.

It might be weird, but I find that usually when I'm bored and sad, the thing that perks me up is to do something intellectually stimulating. It doesn't even have to be that stimulating. Or that intellectual. Actually, for me, what works is reading a rule book or instruction manual. After I'm done, I'm ready to tackle something more demanding. This exact example probably won't work for everyone, of course. It works for me because when I was a kid I would read all the video game manuals and how to craft guides and LEGO instructions and stuff like that and I'd read them over and over. So I guess that would point to doing something that you loved to do when you were a kid that also stimulates your mind and gets the brain moving. Figuratively speaking.

I'm sad, and bored, and sad.

I find productivity of any kind is good when I'm feeling sad, and especially bored and sad. Could be reading a book (I find the tangible ones offer the most feeling of accomplishment), drawing, writing, crafting, etc. Tv, while a super great distractor, kind of puts me back in the same place after I'm done watching. Kind of true of the Internet as well.

The most annoying aspect of myself is this "aura of unapproachability".

Where I'm so off-kilter and eccentric, that people avoid me like the plague.

(Even geeky types like ourselves struggle with it. I remember going to a magic draft and only one person there actually spoke to me outside of the playing)

Its like a cartoon sometimes. I leap of the diving platform into a bucket of water (the social setting), and all the water somehow leaps out of the bucket and well... ouch.. Xp

Its like I'm not even human sometimes. (Then again... maybe I really am like a mutant or something! YES! AND MY POWER IS! IS!..is... well.. um... irrelevance maybe?)

The good news is, online you don't HAVE to be human. You can be a giant tomato that's somehow achieved sentience (and arms, obviously - eyes would probably help too) and you can still take part in meaningful and engaging discussions.

Eventually though, you will find like-minded people and you'll hang out and you'll feel accepted. So don't feel too down about it.

The good news is, online you don't HAVE to be human. You can be a giant tomato that's somehow achieved sentience (and arms, obviously - eyes would probably help too) and you can still take part in meaningful and engaging discussions.

Eventually though, you will find like-minded people and you'll hang out and you'll feel accepted. So don't feel too down about it.

If anything I feel annoyed at myself that I do get down about it. Especially when things have been going so well recently.

Welp, I think I'm going to go and be Batman later. Study, then Batman.

My college pulled a really crummy move and shortened my semester by about a month, meaning alot of deadlines have been moved up and stress levels have gone through the roof.

But I'm still feeling pretty good because that means I'll have a much, much longer break ahead of me, which will allow me to hold down a job and earn some cash. Plus, I got tickets to see Thor 2 with one of my best friends, and before that the second part of that TF2 comic will be coming out, as well as the annual Halloween event AND there'll still be both official and non-official SFM movies to look forward to

OK, status update.

- I had a massive headache this afternoon. Thankfully seems to be dying down a bit now, though remnants remain. I blame caffeine.

- Tablet didn't charge, so battery is now on empty. Was the cheap-ass Micro-USB cable I was using - switching cables has fixed things.

- That Castlevania: Lords of Shadow COLLECTION I got? Arrived today. Vanilla C:LoS. Had to open a case with eBay. NOT HAPPY.

- Need to work on reviews, but have zero energy and even less drive. FUUUUUU-

Why is there not an option for "No, I'll be spending time with my girlfriend because I have far more important things to worry about than a f**king video game"?