Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

Chemistry has always been fairly safe for me I've never done worse than a mild burns and that was in early Secondary school...

One time we did flood the lab with toxic gas but no one actually got ill from it...

I never had any of those things happen to me in any lab I did. I mean, sometimes things didn't work right, but that was usually a symptom of the thing not working, not an explosion. And that was in an organic chemistry lab, where everything is volatile!

A girl in a friend's class pulled the emergency shower switch on a dare. These are things that can only happen in an all-girls school.

Oh okay, I though you were implying... never mind.

But yeah i've heard stories from the local girl's school. They were... interesting to say the least.

Honestly, I feel that single-sex education at the high school level is the way to go. Teenagers are really dumb when it comes to sex and so having them go through school with minimal distractions seems like a good deal. Especially because then when they go back into a co-ed environment in college, the girls aren't intimidated and the guys don't have as many preconceived notions of what the girls should be acting like. Or at least, there won't be as many girls who will cater to those notions.

I dunno. Every girl I know who's gone through an all-girls school has turned out really confident both in academics and relationships with men. Mainly because since they don't have the peer pressure to act dumb to attract guys and instead have that replaced with the pressure to be smarter than all the other girls. And as far as the relationship thing goes, the fact that at an all-girls school they are forced by nature of the event to ask the guys to the dances goes a long way to social equality, I think.

Well I think that for class discussions especially it is best to have both male and female opinions, as they both obviously have different interpretations of things.

That would be lovely, but in co-ed environments, the girls speak out less, only contributing to the stereotype that women don't contribute as much as men and eventually only serves to ensure that they never give that opinion at all. Allowing them to build up the confidence to form an opinion of their own during formative teenage years allows them to then provide that viewpoint in a later college or work environment.

For instance, take a look at these forums. There are far more men that post than women because it is a male-dominated environment and women have been conditioned that in male-dominated environments, they shouldn't speak out as much. Then, take Facebook. Facebook is a more female friendly environment because the female users tend to have friends lists with a majority of female friends, resulting in a higher posting density by female users in those female-dominated circles. I might even go so far to say that because of this, facebook is one of the few places on the internet where you will find an equal, or maybe even greater degree of female participation in online discussions because the user base is seen as being more female-dominated. The other main place I can think of is, of course, tumblr. Maybe Pintrest.

That would be lovely, but in co-ed environments, the girls speak out less, only contributing to the stereotype that women don't contribute as much as men and eventually only serves to ensure that they never give that opinion at all.

I disagree. In my experience the girls in my class speak out just as much as the guys, sometimes more, sometimes less, but on average they are about equal. This may have something to do with my Year 11 class (now Yr 12) having only 16 students and therefore a close-knit group which is more confident to speak out, but at least in my experience, it provides a healthy balance of views and opinions.

As a disclaimer I go to a really small school with only 300 students from K-12, so maybe I don't see what goes on in other co-ed schools, but from my experience and from the stories I hear on the grapevine, co-ed is the better option.

I'm going to have to disagree too, Mortis. I hated going to an all-girl's private school for awhile, and I didn't hear people participating any more when I went there than I did in public school. But then again, I always seemed to end up in classes where maybe me and one or two other people out of 24 would willingly speak up all year. Sex is another thing...there's always going to be people who go to a co-ed class and are never tempted by sex, and LGBT teens who have relationships in an all-male or all-female environment. I'm also not entirely sure this forum is totally male-dominated. Could be more girls here than we realize. But then again, I can only speak to my own experiences, yours might be different.

I'm glad everything's smoothed out, monkey. I love when test results end up better than expected.

I wrote a long post that apparently never actually posted.

Basically, my reasoning was more from the basis of after high school. At my very large university, the only women I would ever see speaking up in a 500+ student lecture would be the all-girls school girls. And I knew most of them. Because they were also the ones who joined the Women in Science and Engineering dorm and thus neatly collected in one place. I also know a lot of very smart women who went to co-ed schools. Only one out of all of them ever spoke out in lecture. And this was in the biological sciences, where the men to women ratio is fairly even, but the men were still doing the lion's share of the asking and answering questions in class. I will grant that there's no one solution for a problem like this, but a girls' school at the high school level does provide a safer environment during formative years and the confidence boost exists in many layers (not feeling pressured to dress for the guys, being able to focus more, having scholastic achievement mean more). Sure, you can have LGBT teens... but they will always be a very small minority.

As far as girls on this forum go, I've counted about seven or eight. That's hardly significant, considering how many people regularly post here.

I worked with a couple girls that were co-ed and they never shut up at meetings. Granted they were also so full of themselves that they could have been part of a valid exception. They were very smart, very quick, but they also seemed to suffer from a tunnel vision mentality. If a differing opinion or business threat wasn't right out in their way, they were blind to it due to overconfidence. Huh. This could also just be a pro-humility lesson too. The thing is, I'm finding this rather common with (co-ed schooled)intelligent women in a position of authority at my work place. The men tend to be more calm, cool, strategic.

Could be a coincidence, but the previous discussion made me think of it.

See, the thing is, you're talking about the women who already made it. Shit worked out for them, probably because they were loud and obnoxious enough about it to get noticed. I'm talking about something a bit less quantifiable, which is all the women who routinely get passed over because they don't speak up.

Some things are just hard wired. Take 100 groups of all men, most of them will exhibit similar characteristic in their behaviour. The same will happen with 100 groups of all women and 100 groups of 50:50. Can we be conditioned to act differently? Yes, but our natural default is still there. That is why you still see the most hardened, successful, career oriented person diminish down to nothing more than a stereotype in certain situations. This happens for both males and females.

Do we really need to separate genders to avoid the peer pressure that leads to a stereotypical behaviour or can they just be raised to care about what they want and disregard negative influences to their goals? Women are strong, women are smart. They may not have the same chemical balances as men, but they have the exact same potential. Not all men want to be hunters and not all women want to be gatherers. It is ultimately is up to parents to nurture their child to be who they want to be. Not every parent may raise their child in this light and peer pressure becomes a factor. It's tough for a lot of teenagers to accept the concept that not everyone has to like you and that in 3-4yrs, you'll never have to see your classmates again if you don't want to. Complacency is the easy way and you'll never achieve what you want to by bowing to it.

Single gendered schools and classes help, but I still don't think that's the answer. After a few more generations it shouldn't matter anyway. Walls everywhere are crumbling exponentially. Some areas of the world and even parts within a single country may tend to move at a slower pace than some, but it's happening.

I'm not saying it's the end all, be all answer. I'm just saying I think it's the best answer now and would move us faster to that hypothetical future that you describe. Because I don't want to wait a few generations. That is too long to wait for change. People thought back in the fifties that everything would be great by now and it's not. I'm not going to make the same bet, because given how people work, without actual measures being taken, things will only barely shift.

I mean, I read this story proclaiming that feminism made great steps because a girl got on a highschool football team. And I'm like, shit, my grandma was on a highschool football team in the 40s. This is no progress at all, just propaganda to make us think stuff's changed when really it's just the same but with a bit of window dressing on.

It also occurs to me that this validates this conversation I had yesterday with a friend, where we determined that if I ever got superpowers I'd probably go supervillain. The world is a mess and I just need to... rule it.

62529_neil_crop.jpg

I mean, I read this story proclaiming that feminism made great steps because a girl got on a highschool football team. And I'm like, shit, my grandma was on a highschool football team in the 40s. This is no progress at all, just propaganda to make us think stuff's changed when really it's just the same but with a bit of window dressing on.

It also occurs to me that this validates this conversation I had yesterday with a friend, where we determined that if I ever got superpowers I'd probably go supervillain. The world is a mess and I just need to... rule it.

Watch out! We got a [del]badass[/del] Femnazi over here.

Sorry but in case you TTG guys don't know it yet I've already claimed the title of Feminist Forum Overlord

Also I will SMASH anyone that uses the term "Feminazi" seriously (which hopefully you aren't. You probably aren't)

Sorry but in case you TTG guys don't know it yet I've already claimed the title of Feminist Forum Overlord

Also I will SMASH anyone that uses the term "Feminazi" seriously (which hopefully you aren't. You probably aren't)

Yeah watch out guys, she bites. Hard.

WHAT. I thought I was Feminist Dictator for Life!

We must fight! *duel wields copies of the feminine mystique*

I was talking to my ladyfriend last night about how much I like Ke$ha. She said she didn't really listen to Ke$ha but she said thought she was cool because she was the most mainstream musician whose lyrics had an overwhelming feminist tone. I hadn't really thought about it before but I guess since Ke$ha's a feminist I am too. I also realized that not liking Ke$ha is what's keeping this girl in the 'lady friend zone' because once she starts liking Ke$ha she can get bumped up to my 'biznitches zone' which involves a lot more partying (specifically to Ke$ha).

Remember, remember the fifth of November of gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot. Anyone else going to watch v for vendetta today.

It vexes me that for this visionary vocalization (although expressed rather vociferously) there are few visitors here who would vow to view V for Vendetta.

Oh it is Guy Fawkes Night tonight isn't it...

That means a whole night of people with fireworks making noise...

*sigh*

yes, Guy Fawkes

same birthday, April 13th

April the 13th was the day my father died. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

Also, I'm totally replaying that Doctor who game tonight. Except I dont have a TV license, so I can't legally download it, so perhaps not. Boo.

1 4 1 2 1 3 3 2 4 2 6 5 4 6 1 6 2 6 2 5 1 5 3 1 5 6 3 5 6 1 5 5 2 3 1 2