Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

Tim said I was the best a couple of weeks ago.

I win.

Are you sure he didn't just say "Tim is the best!" and you took it to mean you, while really he was talking about himself in the third person?

:D

GRRRRRRR.

Hey, remember my review of The Man With The Golden Gun?

This one?

Yeah, apparently it's not just YouTube that didn't like it - Daily Motion have also taken it down.

For f**ks sake, the footage used is CLEARLY for review purposes. It's not like I'm uploading the whole bloody movie (not that I would, given how awful it is). Bloody copyright bullsh*t.

this sounds unhealthy

Yeah it is a bit. It's mostly not normal, well the drinking is. Well the drinking vodka, to be more precise. I should really avoid the internet when drunk as I can do very stupid things but at least nothing I did last night has backfired (yet). I do have a vague recollection of sending her a fan mail message via her tumblr but it can't have been that bad as her reply was just positive. I would like to remember what I said but I can't just ask her that! It was probably just something complimentary in a bid to cheer her up. I need to talk to her. Why am I saying this here? I guess 'cos it's safe here. This is all weird now but I'm going to post it regardless, just you watch me.

I've been thinking about my objectives for the year, and I think I should seriously stop buying so many games and spend a little more time playing them.

I think I should set myself a specific timeslot to play for a certain length. Like 3 hours in an evening or something on solely one game.

I'm leaning more towards my GOG library on this one, because I've barely touched it and I own most of the library too.

Hmmmm... decisions, decisions...

I've been thinking about my objectives for the year, and I think I should seriously stop buying so many games and spend a little more time playing them.

I think I should set myself a specific timeslot to play for a certain length. Like 3 hours in an evening or something on solely one game.

I'm leaning more towards my GOG library on this one, because I've barely touched it and I own most of the library too.

Hmmmm... decisions, decisions...

Likewise. I intend to start in February, since I kinda blew it this month (Disney Infinity is super fun though, so no regrets about that!)

Thought exercise:

Listen to "Let It Go" from Frozen, but think of it as a song about farts.

[snip]

Am I the only one who hasn't seen this film?! I want to see it so badly...

Not just you, buddy. Initially, I was going to see it but some comments from Disney's animators regarding criticism of their character designs really put me off. I'll probably still see it on DVD or something

i think Nintendo would do alot better if they seriously hired someone who knew about modern online platform development AND LISTENED TO THEM!

Its simple really how they can help themselves a bit:

- Competitive Virtual Console Prices (as they are, they are just too damn high! Sega has been alot smarter in this regard, bundling their games cheaply and effectively)

- Universal account system (they NEED this. NEED it. Come-on nintendo! You could very well replicate Sony with the cross-buy and cross play stuff and do it BETTER)

- Form more alliances with third party developers, and not necessarily Japanese ones

- Aggressive Marketing/Pricing strategies - Again, Do a Sony. Market the stuff. Reduce the console price a bit more. And keep prices competitive between Digital and Retail. Faster sales, especially on first party stuff Nintendo, you have a platform, get out the big guns more)

-Encourage online play more. (make that netcode really sweet, give people features akin to steam, imagine ingame facechat on that pad and all that crap. Get creative. get the indies and third parties creative.)

Despite this, I still think Nintendo can turn it around. They turned the 3DS around, they can do this too. They just need to keep the quality up and be a bit more aggressive getting this console out there into people's hands.

A new Zelda and Metroid to go with Mario wouldn't hurt! Thats for sure! :D

Worse comes to worse, here's a crazy idea:

Nintendo Skylanders but with actual proper games for it

Team up with Namco Bandai or something, and get that shit out there.

(I think people would eat that up because Nintendo's just as recognizable as Disney)

EDIT: You could even give that the Smash Bros. Branding too!

SUPER SMASH BROS. SLAMMERS! Or something.

Here's an idea: Don't region lock your fücking console. I am totally fine with importing US games to the EU and I am sure a lot of UK customers are too.

A sold game is a sold game.

Oh yes I forgot this too!

(I personally think a lot of gamers were pissed off over Shin Megami Tensei 4 on 3DS. (I still have mine pre-ordered :'( ))

Yes Nintendo, patch this out, if Sony and Microsoft are going region free, then you should follow suit too. Its as simple as that.

Oh hey, speaking of getting drunk...

But yeah, a lot COULD be done with the WiiU, but it seems Nintendo are too old-school to really think outside the box.

ONLINE STUFF

- Universal Nintendo Accounts. It's just common sense.

- Virtual Console. Nintendo have a massive back-library. Why the hell can't they get round to actually releasing some of it? And seriously, get Gamecubes games on your damn system. They will sell.

- Online play. Leaderboards are bullsh*t - Nintendo NEED to start putting online co-p in their games. Imagine playing Smash Bros online with people, or teaming up with your internet buddies to play New Super Mario Bros U. Think how much fun that would be.

- Online Prices. They need to be cheaper - cheaper than retail, because otherwise nobody's going to bother buying them online. Why do people need to keep pointing this out when it's such an obvious thing? Honestly...

GAMES

- You need more. Obvious point is obvious.

- A Nintendo-themed Skylanders could be a massive goldmine. I could easily imagine something like NintendoLand working with this sort of model. Why Nintendo hasn't already announced something like this is beyond me.

- Hyrule Warriors is an EXCELLENT idea, but we need more insane things like it. Imagine a Kirby game that plays like Katamari Damacy (or rather, The Maw). Imagine a third-person Metroid. Imagine a Pokemon game from the perspective of an actual Pokemon. You have some great IPs, Ninty. Do something with them.

- New games in existing franchises. Fans WILL buy a new Earthbound, Golden Sun and Starfox game. Why aren't you making them?

- LET PEOPLE PLAY 3DS GAMES ON THE WIIU. Guaranteed system seller, right there.

...I need to go sleep now.

Apparently cos of idiots like me the next Sherlock game wont have math puzzles. This makes morons like me very happy!

Apparently they're going to be doing that thing like they do in the tv show where Sherlock sees something and text pops up showing us what he's thinking\deducing.

Apparently cos of idiots like me the next Sherlock game wont have math puzzles. This makes morons like me very happy!

Apparently they're going to be doing that thing like they do in the tv show where Sherlock sees something and text pops up showing us what he's thinking\deducing.

Yh it's awesome here is some pages that tells you everything about the game so far.

http://www.sherlockholmes-thegame.com/?rub=crimes#crimes_introduction

http://devblog.sherlockholmes-thegame.com/

It shows how you can tell Lestrade is coming by deducing he misses the creaky step and hand cuff noises.

tumblr_inline_mpgg22mvgF1qz4rgp.jpg

Thought exercise:

Listen to "Let It Go" from Frozen, but think of it as a song about farts.

[snip]

Am I the only one who hasn't seen this film?! I want to see it so badly...

Not just you, buddy. Initially, I was going to see it but some comments from Disney's animators regarding criticism of their character designs really put me off. I'll probably still see it on DVD or something

You know, in spite of Prettygate, Frozen has excellent character animation, and given the point of the character direction on Anna in particular, I feel like the whole issue may have been more about a really poor choice of words taken out of a certain context while dealing with the constraints of Disney's extremely on-model animation approach.

As a character, Anna tries to fit the Princess archetype:

cEBVwjF.png

pt6sDMC.png

But she totally doesn't fit it:

Zy0rpcA.png

See also; a couple outtake demo songs that reinforce the strong female character themes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G21o_Jgpf8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=66MQPWZ-n0g

You forgot one.

What was prettygate? I missed all the controversy around Frozen.

You forgot one.

What was prettygate? I missed all the controversy around Frozen.

“Historically speaking, animating female characters are really, really difficult, because they have to go through these range of emotions, but you have to keep them pretty and they’re very sensitive to — you can get them off a model very quickly. So, having a film with two hero female characters was really tough, and having them both in the scene and look very different if they’re echoing the same expression; that Elsa looking angry looks different from Anna being angry.”

-Lino DiSalvo, the head of animation on Frozen

-Source (and an excellent animation blog in general, seriously if you care about animation as an industry and an art form and you're NOT reading Cartoon Brew, you're making a terrible mistake)

Wait, why can't you just ask her? Just say "Hey, I was drunk the other night. I didn't send you any dumb messages, did I?"

Well mainly because I got a very nice reply anyway and now it seems it'll be weird to ask. Besides, going on the reply what I sent was fine.

I have to say, I've been liking the trend of having multiple female leads. Part of the reason I liked Brave so much was because of the great mother/daughter stuff that was going on there (not just the stereotypical Hollywood "Ugh, Mom" that you always see before the mother is never seen again ever). That plus music was just great.