Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

That's a lot of favs.

I really can't be bothered to go into this, but basically I think most of those episodes don't hold up on their own as individual stories, which is my main problem with the show as a whole now. It's all so complex and convoluted, and it's stopped being just... FUN.

But hey, that's just me.

I'm with you on this one. With the RTD era ones, despite them being interlinked with a throwaway line or easter egg, you felt like you could easily just dive into any of the first 10 or so episodes of a series at any time. You try and do that with Moffat's stuff? You can't. Well, you could with season 5 (for the most part). Which is possibly one of my favourite seasons of the show. Vincent and the Doctor was just beautifully done. It's just a shame the monster of the week was naff. But the characters and storytelling were superb.

Bt yeah, I've felt the show has lost it's appeal in that sense. You can't watch an episode and feel like you've gotten a whole adventure. You always go away feeling like you're missing something. Sure you'll get it in months to come, but the beauty of RTD with the arcs was that you didn't know about them until you were quite a way into the season (if not the end). There was hidden connections. Things that only showed up if you looked back at the episodes. Although Rose kinda scuppered that.

Seeing what happened to Shirley Temple Black was one of the reasons I was glad I was never a child actress. Seeing what happened to Shia LeBouf and Miley Cyrus kind of solidified that. There seems to be a common theme here with most of them-- nothing Shirley Temple Black did as an adult, even the really important stuff (being a diplomat to foreign countries, helping make it okay to publicly talk about having breast cancer) ever was as important to people than these films she made before they were born. Somehow it's shocking to people that Miley Cyrus (19), and the older ex-Disney stars, like Hilary Duff and Raven Symone, have love lives and an interest in sex, when it wouldn't be a big deal if they were famous. I think people seem to have forgotten that Shia LeBouf was a Disney star first, though, or they were too old/young to remember Even Stevens. Actors and musicians and stuff mostly exist as "that person from that thing I liked/hated" to a lot of fans, not as people.

My main concern with Avengers 2 is that it'll suffer from character overload, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that front.

As already mentioned, Lord of the Rings had a lot of characters. Avengers had a lot of characters. Pirates of the Caribbean had a lot of characters. Every single Whedon show has had a lot of characters.

The key is to not have them all in the same place at the same time. In Avengers, that is precisely what Whedon did. He isolated them. Except for a few key shots (which were brief, meant to be chaotic, and/or have little action), he never had more than three main characters in a scene at a given time. This ensured that everyone got their screen time and the action didn't look overly crowded. Lord of the Rings did the same thing. If you look through the movies, there are very few scenes where all the characters appear in the same shot, and most of those are also brief or have little action. In addition, in both movies, every character had distinct plot elements attached to them had at least two solo moments of awesome and had a distinct role to play in the ending.

Pirates of the Caribbean is probably a little bit more closer to what we might be able to expect because you have a ton of characters, most of them new, and one big screenhog. However, the film still managed to make this work by keeping to the three or fewer named characters per shot, even when there were more characters in the scene.

Whedon thrives on big casts, just look at any of his shows, so I'm willing to say that if the movie fails (and I hope it won't) it probably won't be because of crowding issues caused by too many characters. It could be because of other reasons... but most likely not that.

My God. I just watched an entire video of Cantonese opera, and I can't stop laughing. It's just absolutely terrible and off-key, but that is some funny s**t!

That's the most epic thing I've ever seen leroy. It just surpassed this, it would be close if it weren't a gif

sharkart-brown.jpg

When I googled 'epic shark picture' to find that I found this other strong contender

Welcome-to-the-Internet--600x387.jpeg

That's awesome! Mine's from a leak of the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy that's supposed to release on Tuesday. That and Godzilla are my most wanted movies of the year.

Today I got an email from this school that I haven't gone to in 2+ years accusing me of stealing books from a kid and selling them at the campus book store. They say they're going to contact the authorities and see what they can do. There's no town police in this place so they're going to have to go to the state police over it and I feel like they're going to be pissed at the school for wasting their time. They also say the books were left in a public place on campus and no-one actually saw me do any of it...

I also have no idea what they're talking about.

Seeing what happened to Shirley Temple Black was one of the reasons I was glad I was never a child actress. Seeing what happened to Shia LeBouf and Miley Cyrus kind of solidified that. There seems to be a common theme here with most of them-- nothing Shirley Temple Black did as an adult, even the really important stuff (being a diplomat to foreign countries, helping make it okay to publicly talk about having breast cancer) ever was as important to people than these films she made before they were born. Somehow it's shocking to people that Miley Cyrus (19), and the older ex-Disney stars, like Hilary Duff and Raven Symone, have love lives and an interest in sex, when it wouldn't be a big deal if they were famous. I think people seem to have forgotten that Shia LeBouf was a Disney star first, though, or they were too old/young to remember Even Stevens. Actors and musicians and stuff mostly exist as "that person from that thing I liked/hated" to a lot of fans, not as people.

People should be able to divorce the actor from their roles, and I have heard some complaining, " think of the children, you're a role model," which is frankly ridiculous because these child stars deserve to be able to grow up. The main issue with Miley was that her performance was grotesque. You can be a sexually empowered woman without rubbing a giant foam finger against your crotch, grinding against the junk of a dude, and sticking your strangely pale tongue as far out of your mouth as you can. She was absolutely disgusting (saying nothing of the racial insensitivity of other aspects of the performance).

I think a lot of people underestimate how well Miley's doing right now. Any publicity is good publicity. She won a big mtv award this year, Wrecking Ball was a terrible song and sold more copies than any of her previous singles. Everything she's doing is meant to be edgy and controversial. She can't be Hannah Montana forever.

I think a lot of people underestimate how well Miley's doing right now. Any publicity is good publicity. She won a big mtv award this year, Wrecking Ball was a terrible song and sold more copies than any of her previous singles. Everything she's doing is meant to be edgy and controversial. She can't be Hannah Montana forever.

You're right, I think that the "any publicity is good publicity" is probably largely the point of her behavior, but the way she decides to be edgy and controversial is just so desperate. Anyway, enough from me about Miley.

The great musicians don't have to create publicity.

It just shows you how crappy all these people really are... or how shallow people's musical tastes have become that they need that.

*Puts on Full Moon Fever*

Oh Yeah.

I had a really long post written about Miley Cyrus and popular music. Then in the middle of my conclusion paragraph I was like "wait I'm writing what turned into an essay format post about Miley Cyrus on a forum where no-one is going to care about it" and I deleted it. You are all welcome.

Going back to school can't come soon enough for me. I need a more constructive outlet for this nonsense.

I'm not condoning her behavior, I just think "You were on Disney once, therefore, you're never allowed to grow up or express an interest in sexuality, ever," is a dumb argument. I don't think anyone here is arguing in defense of that viewpoint, thankfully.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83873365/

It's a video of a camera falling out of a plane into a pigpen and the pig checking it out.

I kind of forgot how cool ebaums world was, I just watched a slideshow on old 'medicine' practices. Pretty crazy stuff.

Edit number 2, medical oddities led me from one website to another and I just realized that I missed 'morbid curiosities singles night' at this place in Brooklyn. It was monday but that must have been so much fun I totally would've gone to that if I knew about it before happened.

Did that he actually wear that or is that just a Photoshop job? There's something unreal about it

Yeah, no-one could make that pattern look good. I'm amazed Colin Baker managed to retain ANY sense of credibility.

That's one reason the audios go over so well. Another is the stories aren't god awful like the TV show was in his era.

Valve keeps putting way too much trust into the internet. You think they would have learned from Greenlight's launch.

Probably would have worked out a bit better if Valve made a big list of premade tags people could choose from. In that scenario, the worst the internet would probably be able to do with that is tag anything and everything as "casual".