Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

Eugh!

I think that was the worst exam I have ever had in my life! @_@

(I mean seriously, what kind of sadistic bastard sets you three entire essays to do in three hours. Its just sheer impossible, unless you have the time to memorize entire essays to regurgitate in your head onto paper. I barely managed two and a half, and even then I didn't plan. I just went straight at it like a flailing lunatic. Madly rustling through notes to find crap to write)

Etrian Odyssey Untold 99% downloaded. I think I might be gone for a month or so.
I barely managed two and a half, and even then I didn't plan. I just went straight at it like a flailing lunatic. Madly rustling through notes to find crap to write)

I had these tasks in school too. There were maybe 2 people in my class that could do this and deliver good essays but you can't expect a great essay in an hour.

I think the worst part, is that you're expected to answer questions, using theory, based on a 30 page case study.

It seriously seemed like the Dark Souls of Academics. You had to balance both evidence in the case study, and the theory you've learned in the case study, AND THEN list all of your references at the end, Harvard style.

It may have been an open book exam, but no matter how much stuff I took in with me, (seriously I had a giant folder of notes AND a text book), I could NEVER be prepared for that.

...Let's just hope when they say the examiners will mark generously, they truly mean that.... :(

Oh god I really really really wish my artists would stop being so shy with the assets they're creating for our game and just give me something. I've asked them 3 times in the past week to give me their work and none of them have so much as replied or acknowledged my request.

It's so much easier to set up the scene in Unity with something, anything that even remotely resembles or behaves like the final stuff instead of making quick placeholders and then breaking all the links to scripts and everything else when we switch them out and dealing with the inevitable errors that brings.

God I only have 4 weeks left to make this game and I'm only just starting to actually get everything together in a final project file. I feel like a huge piece of crap, but at least all my other assignments are going smoothly.

So work on this group project I'm involved in seems to be going well. Unfortunately I haven't contributed much since the early planning stages and that's all my fault as I'm crap at working in groups and I can't bring myself to talk to the other members of the group. Might have been able to save this if the hand in date wasn't Friday.

Whoever reads this, go out and get this book called Japantown by Barry Lancet I just finished reading it and it is a freaking powerhouse.

This is what the NBA said to Donald Sterling today.

TJ1TYk4u5Is

Oh god I really really really wish my artists would stop being so shy with the assets they're creating for our game and just give me something. I've asked them 3 times in the past week to give me their work and none of them have so much as replied or acknowledged my request.

It's so much easier to set up the scene in Unity with something, anything that even remotely resembles or behaves like the final stuff instead of making quick placeholders and then breaking all the links to scripts and everything else when we switch them out and dealing with the inevitable errors that brings.

God I only have 4 weeks left to make this game and I'm only just starting to actually get everything together in a final project file. I feel like a huge piece of crap, but at least all my other assignments are going smoothly.

- Create stick figures in MS Paint (or whatever equivalent you have if you're using a different OS).

- Blame the art team every time something goes wrong.

- ?

- PROFIT.

- Create stick figures in MS Paint (or whatever equivalent you have if you're using a different OS).

- ?

- PROFIT.

Oh, I have. In fact I haven't just created stickmen, I've created entire scenes and props to cover their sorry asses when they couldn't deliver anything on time.

Also I now have concrete evidence my artists are all whiny pissbabies. Apparently their silence in the past few weeks hasn't just been them being their normal under-delivering selves. They decided they don't like me and therefore refuse to do any work.

Which is too bad for their grades, and also too bad for them because they don't have any plans to fall back on if they exit the group. None of them had anything for the initial pitch, and they certainly don't have the programming skills to do anything in the short window of time we have left. Also I should remind them that if they don't like me because they don't like my game idea then well, too bad, because they're the ones that voted for both my idea and to be on my team.

I am completely unaffected by this revelation. I can do art, I can do programming. They're just an annoyance at this point. God they didn't even have the balls to say it to my face. I can't stop laughing at how sad and pathetic they are, trying to hold a threat against me when I can still hold my own and even do better that them.

- ?

- PROFIT.

Oh, I have. In fact I haven't just created stickmen, I've created entire scenes and props to cover their sorry asses when they couldn't deliver anything on time.

Also I now have concrete evidence my artists are all whiny pissbabies. Apparently their silence in the past few weeks hasn't just been them being their normal under-delivering selves. They decided they don't like me and therefore refuse to do any work.

Which is too bad for their grades, and also too bad for them because they don't have any plans to fall back on if they exit the group. None of them had anything for the initial pitch, and they certainly don't have the programming skills to do anything in the short window of time we have left. Also I should remind them that if they don't like me because they don't like my game idea then well, too bad, because they're the ones that voted for both my idea and to be on my team.

I am completely unaffected by this revelation. I can do art, I can do programming. They're just an annoyance at this point. God they didn't even have the balls to say it to my face. I can't stop laughing at how sad and pathetic they are, trying to hold a threat against me when I can still hold my own and even do better that them.

I never understand people that act that immature.

Yeah, you don't like somebody, they don't mesh well with you, or you're jealous that they can do more than you.

But in the end of the day you all have to work together AT LEAST for your own benefit.

Ultimately, once its done, you can simply just walk away.

So barring that nonsense, how is the course?

I'm curious, because at one point in my life I did consider applying for something related to game design, (though I kind of chickened out in the end and went for Business, mostly because it was something I already knew at A-level, and to be honest I didn't have much more to show for myself, apart from some dodgy game maker demos I worked on when I was like 14).

I really want to get back into making videogames though, so I guess I'm just curious what I missed out on.

(I got some programming courses I got on the cheap though, so my plan is, that while I apply for jobs and work part-time I'm going to get back into a routine of learning to program shit. I'm thinking Unity, Game Maker, (for playing around with ideas since I know I can remember its functions with a little tinkering), and HTML 5 are a good starting point)

Ehh, the course is okay I guess. Not alot of options for getting a course in game design, nevermind one at a college thats as esteemed as the one I go to (I don't really agree with that notion but they got the accreditation so y'know) so I take what I can get

I'm halfway through the course and the only thing that really bugs me is that we don't make more and smaller games. It was straight into working with a team together on a big game with lots of features instead of teeny little demos which I feel would have better accustomed us to getting into the swing of the game creation process as well as getting beginner mistakes out of the way. Not much to say outside of my 2 main game modules because everything else I have are run of the mill IT courses like Computer Architecture and Interaction Design. My first real semester outside of the foundation years was a real stinker because I didn't even have a lecturer for my Game Design Theory class, so they just got any old lecturer to come in and read off heavily abbreviated slides.

I should mention that the courses for games are split into 3, with art, game design and programming respectively. I'm in the programming course.

Ehh, the course is okay I guess. Not alot of options for getting a course in game design, nevermind one at a college thats as esteemed as the one I go to (I don't really agree with that notion but they got the accreditation so y'know) so I take what I can get

I'm halfway through the course and the only thing that really bugs me is that we don't make more and smaller games. It was straight into working with a team together on a big game with lots of features instead of teeny little demos which I feel would have better accustomed us to getting into the swing of the game creation process as well as getting beginner mistakes out of the way. Not much to say outside of my 2 main game modules because everything else I have are run of the mill IT courses like Computer Architecture and Interaction Design. My first real semester outside of the foundation years was a real stinker because I didn't even have a lecturer for my Game Design Theory class, so they just got any old lecturer to come in and read off heavily abbreviated slides.

I should mention that the courses for games are split into 3, with art, game design and programming respectively. I'm in the programming course.

Oh cool. It sounds like its a course that still needs refinement, but is serviceable. I hope I'll be able to get by on a free year's worth of computer science course, and some do-it-yourself programming courses I bought in a bundle for cheap.

(Well hopefully I'll come out of Uni with a 2:1 Business Management degree, so that might help me get in on the more service/customer support side even if I don't come out well in the programming/design part)

Haha, today is Labor Day and hence a public holiday, meaning I have no class. My dad didn't know about this so I told him.

He looked confused for a minute before simply saying "Oh, you mean Communist Labor Day". Then he went back to reading his book.

Good ol' dad

Woo hoo! I finally got my Moai adventure game all hooked up, with a beginning and an end, and all the puzzles implemented. Now I just have to complete and hook up some animations, and compose one more song, and it will be good to go. :)

I'm in Hawaii right now, and I just visited Pearl Harbor, where my great uncle was killed when the Japanese bombed it. I've... never felt so sad in my life. I mean, all those people who died on the spot, just because the Japanese wanted their oil back... God, I feel depressed. Coolsome, do something insanely funny so I can come out of this.

I'm in Hawaii right now, and I just visited Pearl Harbor, where my great uncle was killed when the Japanese bombed it. I've... never felt so sad in my life. I mean, all those people who died on the spot, just because the Japanese wanted their oil back... God, I feel depressed. Coolsome, do something insanely funny so I can come out of this.

Well obviously I'm the only one who can..for I am the

Do people really think that southern accents carry over to the southwest?

It follows everywhere trailer parks and tornadoes go. There are even towns in Canada that sound like that.

My dad and grandparents have Southern accents, and they were born and raised in Illinois. The good part of Illinois too. Not the Southern part.

Oh hey, remember that Wizard of VLog thing I lost out on?

...I got beaten by a giant, smelly, cootie-ridden girl.

Haha okay so the real reason my artists in my game project don't like me is coming out and I'm honestly surprised at this

Apparently they think "I'm too intimidating and so is my artwork"

My fucking god I don't even know what to make of this.