Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

I missed last week's issue of the Mega Man/Sonic crossover and just found out it's the one that introduced Viewtiful Joe. This is how I feel.

I asked Kenji Inafune to say that to the audience at SGC 2014.

If anyone HAS a LINK to the new Dragon ball Z resection of F (sub or dub) movie online DO not SENT it ME in a pm or something cos that would be amoral and against the rules. so DO not SEND it to COOLSOME to see it

Anyone else like really wanted Red Ash to get funded but also just knew with all the backlash Might Number 9 got that it was impossible, plus Megaman Legends is a game that just can't resurface not even in a spiritual successor form so you just kinda eat crackers all day and cry?

It is very very very rarely that Funny Or Die makes my day, but the resurgence of Rockapella parodying their own song was great.

This is not the weather for climbing between hot, freshly laundered sheets, but I've made my bed and now I must lay in it.

You named your band Sexual Chocolate?

I take it you've never seen Coming to America

Hey I was just making a joke along these lines the other day, but it turns out someone actually did the research!

Top 50 content words used in video game titles across a survey of 150,000 games:

Screen-Shot-2015-07-25-at-12.31.21-AM-1024x691.png

Not at all surprisingly, war is pretty much the most popular word to use in a video game title. Insert eye rolls here. But the rest of these should, I think, serve as a guideline for "what not to name your video game if you are trying to make it stand out".

Also surveyed were the top 50 subtitles for video games:

Screen-Shot-2015-07-25-at-12.22.45-AM.png

A lot of the words here reflect licensed properties (groan) or special editions (i.e. pre-order / DLC rigamarole). But if you ignore those, you see that there are some other popular subtitles that should probably never be used again. At least not for several years. PLEASE. These words include such tired old gems as "vengeance", "awakening", "origins", and "legacy".

Both results considered, Dragon Age: Origins is one of the most pathetically generic titles for a video game one could write. Come on, Bioware.

Super Time Force is an original combination of three very unoriginal content words.

You guys be sure to play my new game, Legend of Dragon Wars: Vengeance: The Awakening: Gold Edition

Lol I agree that alot of game titles these days are kinda silly (I reaaaaalllly hate the ones that try to be "self-aware" and use all the buzzwords at once in an attempt to be funny), but I make an exception for things like Dragon Age: Origins and other game franchises.

Cuz like you wanna communicate first and foremost that it's part of a franchise, with other games in the series. Possibly that it's a prequel or sequel, or some other indicator that there's a chronological order to the events/story you want to or have to know from playing the other games. The exception to the exception is Final Fantasy games because those numbers mean nothing.

I don't know what my favorite titled thing of all time would be, but I could give you a few examples of the kinds of titles that I really enjoy. I'm a really huge Ray Bradbury fan, and some of the titles he's given to books over the years are titles to be savored. Trying to imagine video game titles that would kickstart the imagination or instantly invoke a sense of story as powerfully as these:

Something Wicked This Way Comes

The Million-Year Picnic

The Last Night Of The World

The April Witch

Dark They Were, And Golden-Eyed

The Day It Rained Forever

The Inspired Chicken Motel

The Halloween Tree

A Graveyard For Lunatics

From The Dust Returned

Let's All Kill Constance

The Machineries Of Joy

At The End Of The Ninth Year

The Toynbee Convector

Trying to think of some video game titles along the same lines that I appreciate in the same way (without any reference to how good the game is), I would say.... some of the better examples would maybe be titles like...

A Story About My Uncle

Explore The Dungeon Because I Don't Know

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

That Dragon, Cancer

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Remember Me

Viscera Cleanup Detail

Grim Fandango

On The Rain-Slick Precipice Of Darkness

To The Moon

Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble

Kentucky Route Zero

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

A Machine For Pigs

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

Video games tend to think of their titles more along the lines of brands, so they get soft drink type names instead of literary type names in the vast majority of cases, which is too bad, because it makes them sound really boring/generic. A really excellent title is one of the most effective marketing tools on me. When I hear an interesting title, I am drawn to it immediately. I may not end up buying it, but I will at least be compelled to SEE WHAT ALL THAT IS ABOUT.

Lol I agree that alot of game titles these days are kinda silly (I reaaaaalllly hate the ones that try to be "self-aware" and use all the buzzwords at once in an attempt to be funny), but I make an exception for things like Dragon Age: Origins and other game franchises.

Cuz like you wanna communicate first and foremost that it's part of a franchise, with other games in the series. Possibly that it's a prequel or sequel, or some other indicator that there's a chronological order to the events/story you want to or have to know from playing the other games. The exception to the exception is Final Fantasy games because those numbers mean nothing.

There are arguments for and against this. The argument for it is that avoiding using plain numerals to communicate chronology in the series is less boring and more flavorful. And if you're a huge franchise, it disguises the number of sequel cash-ins you've done!

The argument against it is that it makes it much more difficult for new people trying to enter into the series, because they can't figure out what the chronology is without googling it. So there is something to be said for just plain "Dragon Warz 2".

Final Fantasy is a completely different animal. The number WOULD mean something if the games in that franchise were in any way connected. But as I was saying in my last post, video games (especially AAA and huge franchises) treat titles like soft drink brands more than having them be aesthetically pleasing or indicative of content. Final Fantasy is the equivalent of Coke naming every flavor of soft drink it makes "Coke [number]". They have nothing to do with each other, BUT DID YOU SEE THAT IT'S NAMED COKE.

While we're on the topic of bad video game names, surely I can't be the only one who thinks Broken Age is a terrible name for a game

This is a kind of trend I see the DF games having, the adjective-noun format (Brutal Legend, Massive Chalice, Grim Fandango), but at least the other games made some sense with regards to what the game was about.

Until now, I'm not sure what Broken Age is supposed to tell me about the game. I mean even if a title isn't trying to tell you anything about the game, it should sound good and I really think Broken Age doesn't. Which is a shame because it's a fantastic game.

While we're on the topic of bad video game names, surely I can't be the only one who thinks Broken Age is a terrible name for a game

This is a kind of trend I see the DF games having, the adjective-noun format (Brutal Legend, Massive Chalice, Grim Fandango), but at least the other games made some sense with regards to what the game was about.

Until now, I'm not sure what Broken Age is supposed to tell me about the game. I mean even if a title isn't trying to tell you anything about the game, it should sound good and I really think Broken Age doesn't. Which is a shame because it's a fantastic game.

Yeah... I wasn't a huge fan of that title either. I remember when Tim was asking for ideas, I initially suggested Worlds Apart, which he really seemed to like at first, but then he rejected it because there are too many other things with that name, so it seemed unoriginal and not good branding.

Which, on one hand, yes that's VERY true. There are so so so many things with that title.

On the other hand, it is a much more apt title for the game than Broken Age, imo. Not saying it's the best idea for a title ever, but...

Broken Age makes a sort of sense, if you listen to Tim try to explain it. The problem is that the connection is kind of high concept and I don't think most people see the connection.

I don't know what my favorite titled thing of all time would be, but I could give you a few examples of the kinds of titles that I really enjoy. I'm a really huge Ray Bradbury fan, and some of the titles he's given to books over the years are titles to be savored. Trying to imagine video game titles that would kickstart the imagination or instantly invoke a sense of story as powerfully as these:

The Million-Year Picnic

The April Witch

The Halloween Tree

A Graveyard For Lunatics

From The Dust Returned

Let's All Kill Constance

The Machineries Of Joy

The Toynbee Convector

But where da Fahrenheit 451 at?

Damnit now I can't name my game Magic Football Challenge :'(

A developer made the exact same joke on the original article. Other titles joked by devs:

--Soccer Dragon Pro

--Super Mahjong Densetsu Fantasy CD

--Football Force 3D Edition

--Hover Iron Pinball Soccer Soldier World

--Super Wargame Adventure: Battle for Spaceworld Star Edition (Quest Pack)

The Million-Year Picnic

The April Witch

The Halloween Tree

A Graveyard For Lunatics

From The Dust Returned

Let's All Kill Constance

The Machineries Of Joy

The Toynbee Convector

But where da Fahrenheit 451 at?

I looooove that book, and I like the title, having read it.

But as a person completely ignorant of the book, I don't think it's a particularly catchy title. (Indeed, I had heard of it but never had any interest in it until I read some of his other work.) You can't claim a title is great if the book follows the same naming convention as Blink 182, Sum 41, and Eiffel 65. :P

Not bad, but not NEARLY as great as those others.

Definitely one of his finest works, though, all titles aside.

So Erik Wolpaw wrote a blog post on Penny Arcade today. Even if you don't like Penny Arcade, don't worry about it, because they are on vacation or something, and in the meantime, ERIK WOLPAW MADE A POST IN THEIR ABSENCE.

It is every bit as hilarious as Psychonauts and Portal would lead you to expect.

Enjoy:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2015/07/29/grace-part-five

Lol I agree that alot of game titles these days are kinda silly .

my favourite title is The 3rd birthday it's somewhat of spinoff title in Parasite eve series and the 3rd game. Th title references the start of the games plot, which is 3 years after a wedding happened.

So Erik Wolpaw wrote a blog post on Penny Arcade today. Even if you don't like Penny Arcade, don't worry about it, because they are on vacation or something, and in the meantime, ERIK WOLPAW MADE A POST IN THEIR ABSENCE.

It is every bit as hilarious as Psychonauts and Portal would lead you to expect.

Enjoy:

lol

I love you. Wait, maybe that’s too much too soon. I intend to love you.

The joke about them slamming their novel on Gabe's desk actually had me laughing out loud for a while.

Enjoy:

I read Erik Wolpow saying he's busy with work, and I read Jay Pinkerton saying they're very busy at Valve making comics happen. But y'know what?

I still don't see a goddamn Team Fortress Comics #5

--Infinite Undiscovery

--Bravely Default

I agree with both of these. RPGs do have some of the most jacked names of all. Especially JRPGs. Is it like a translation thing? Is something lost in regionalization? JRPGs have their own cliches. Let me try one:

Sacred Hearts: Legend of Eternal Light

or what the f*** ever. JRPGs, as much as I adore them, are some of the worst offenders.

In fact... let me try to think of a JRPG that didn't have a crappy soft-drink-branding type name.... I'll edit as soon as I think of one... hm...

*edit*

So far I'm gonna say Chrono Trigger and Earthbound. Mostly because their names ACTUALLY HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE DAMN GAME.

--Infinite Undiscovery

--Bravely Default

I agree with both of these. RPGs do have some of the most jacked names of all. Especially JRPGs. Is it like a translation thing? Is something lost in regionalization? JRPGs have their own cliches. Let me try one:

or what the f*** ever. JRPGs, as much as I adore them, are some of the worst offenders.

In fact... let me try to think of a JRPG that didn't have a crappy soft-drink-branding type name.... I'll edit as soon as I think of one... hm...

Mother/Earthbound

--Infinite Undiscovery

--Bravely Default

Mother/Earthbound

Haha, you ninja'd me. See my edit.

Pokemon is a jrpg

Doesn't that just translate to "Pocket Monsters".

I actually like that better than Pokemon. Especially cuz it sounds like some kinda creepy innuendo.