Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

Here is a kind of student that you wouldn't think would actually exist, but they actually exist in DROVES:

--Does not have basic computer skills, such as knowing how to log into a web site.

--Does not have basic computer terminology, e.g. does not know what the word "browser" refers to and might have to have it explained to them as "the blue letter 'e' that you click on to get to the internet". Also does not know the meaning of terms like "URL" or "address bar".

--Frankly admits to having no computer literacy at all

--***Does not actually own a computer***

--Signs up for online classes anyway

This is how I imagine this person in another context:

*shows up to bicycle race holding a pair of running shoes*

"I never learned to ride a bike. I don't even own a bike. Can anyone help me? I really need to win this race."

Here is a kind of student that you wouldn't think would actually exist, but they actually exist in DROVES:

--Does not have basic computer skills, such as knowing how to log into a web site.

--Does not have basic computer terminology, e.g. does not know what the word "browser" refers to and might have to have it explained to them as "the blue letter 'e' that you click on to get to the internet". Also does not know the meaning of terms like "URL" or "address bar".

"I never learned to ride a bike. I don't even own a bike. Can anyone help me? I really need to win this race."

Not even half as bad as people with an iphone...

"ooh an iphone. Which apps do you have?"

"Apps? what are apps?"

"You know, those programs you get on the app store or itunes?"

"App store?? itunes???"

Not even half as bad as people with an iphone...

"ooh an iphone. Which apps do you have?"

"Apps? what are apps?"

"You know, those programs you get on the app store or itunes?"

"App store?? itunes???"

You're describing my grandmother, and she can use a computer well enough, I vote that the computer illiterate are worse, especially in a class-room environment which assumes computer literacy.

Exactly. I could understand how someone could purchase a phone in order to have a phone but still not know/care much about apps (cf my parents).

But if you are spending/borrowing thousands of dollars to enroll in a program that by definition requires a computer with internet connection and is 100% mediated by computer technology, then the fact that you do not own a computer and do not know how to use a computer should give you some pause. But it does not give them pause. They enroll first, not seeing the problem, and then after they are enrolled, they suddenly see the problem, and then they start asking for help.

Or to go back to the bicycle race analogy, it's one thing to show up to a bicycle race on a bicycle but not know or care what the term "ten speed" means, versus showing up to the bicycle race and asking for help because you don't have a bike and don't know how to ride one. Can someone tell you what to do to get a bike? Can someone tell you how to ride it? You don't want to have to quit the race. Someone please help.

I'm not so much hating on people for lacking computer literacy, because some people do, and that's fine. But if you lack computer literacy, and you know it, then don't put yourself in a position where you know you will be expected to have a whole lot of it. And if you know you lack a tool to complete a job, don't put yourself in a position to do that job anyway and think you'll just sort out the tool problem later.

It's like agreeing to be a truck driver when you know you don't have a truck and don't know how to drive. Why would you do that?

But it happens all. the. time.

Def Leppard's new song Let's Go sounds fucking awesome

this one?

82P9wT9utH4

Now I have to find an uncompressed version and play it through my stereo at home

Def Leppard's new song Let's Go sounds fucking awesome

this one?

82P9wT9utH4

Now I have to find an uncompressed version and play it through my stereo at home

Yes. THEY'RE BACK, BABY!

I got it playing through surround sound. It's amazing.

Aw that sucks, he seemed cool :/

Out of all the historic Yankees, he was the last one left. :(

My external hard drive has just died, with absolutely no warning.

FUUUUUUUU-

(Before anyone asks - most of my pr0n, all my Marvel stuff*, all the TV shows I'd collected, all the video reviews I'd downloaded before Blip went down, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head)

*This included Agents of SHIELD, so no retrospectives for a while!

After a looooong time waiting, my GPD xD finally arrived.

After an evening of rigorous testing, I have to say I really love this thing. I was terrified of there being some issue with it, but no. I lucked out and good a really decent quality unit.

Yes, it's a chinese android console. They have flaws, and weird little things that make you question the sanity of the designer, but this one is pretty good.

Hell, I can play Dreamcast games quite comfortably with it via reicast. Handheld. Dreamcast. Games. For £100

How AWESOME is that?!

The battery life is really great too. Mine came pre-charged, and I used it from around 7pm to 3:30am.

FUUUUUUUU-

(Before anyone asks - most of my pr0n, all my Marvel stuff*, all the TV shows I'd collected, all the video reviews I'd downloaded before Blip went down, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head)

Do you know what the specific problem was? Maybe the HD is actually okay and it's just a power supply issue or something? If it's possible that the HD is okay, and if you want it badly enough, you could recover the files from it pretty easily:

http://www.amazon.com/sabrent-Converter-Supply-Activity-USB-DSC5/dp/B000HJ99DI

Your poor pr0n =(

FUUUUUUUU-

Do you know what the specific problem was? Maybe the HD is actually okay and it's just a power supply issue or something? If it's possible that the HD is okay, and if you want it badly enough, you could recover the files from it pretty easily:

http://www.amazon.com/sabrent-Converter-Supply-Activity-USB-DSC5/dp/B000HJ99DI

Your poor pr0n =(

Don't forget to check the cables!! I had HD issues before and almost gave up before I tried replacing both the data and power cables. Worked fine after that.

And then check the ports on the motherboard itself. Swapping out ports on the motherboard is an easy fix, but if its the port that's dead, it's usually the first symptom of a motherboard on it's way out and would mean you have a bigger problem looming.

Every time I tried using the EXTERNAL hard drive, it would sound fine for a second, then start making an awful dakka-dakka-dakka-dakka noise, like something inside the drive itself was catching on something. It's pretty much gone.

Nothing vitally important on there, but I will have to spend the next few days/weeks redownloading all my pr0n. Some good stuff there, dammit.

Every time I tried using the EXTERNAL hard drive, it would sound fine for a second, then start making an awful dakka-dakka-dakka-dakka noise, like something inside the drive itself was catching on something. It's pretty much gone.

Nothing vitally important on there, but I will have to spend the next few days/weeks redownloading all my pr0n. Some good stuff there, dammit.

Ooooh, that sounds like the click of death. There is very little you can do about that. If you really wanted, you could order the same model of HD, then swap the boards on them. That apparently solves the click of death in some cases. I've thought about doing it on an old HD of mine I still have from early college, but that's mostly out of curiosity rather than any sort of need.

There is also the old myth that you can put the HD in the freezer for 24 to 48 hours (in a bag to keep it dry), then try to boot it up really fast before it warms up. I think this is a load of bull, but I saw it all over the internet while trying to recover an old HD once.

It is still possible to get stuff off of it (Which I know from experience but I have no idea how because it wasn't me who did it), but yeah the drive is screwed

It is still possible to get stuff off of it (Which I know from experience but I have no idea how because it wasn't me who did it), but yeah the drive is screwed

If you know someone who knows what they are doing, it's possible to crack it open without damaging it, but it's sort of like old film where you can't just crack it open or you'll overexpose it and instantly destroy all your pictures? Harddrives are kinda like that. But if you have someone who knows what they are doing...

Good, I don't want to live in a world where the likes of Jennifer Hale gets paid next to nothing for some of the best vocal performances I've heard anywhere, nevermind just video games.

From the sounds of things, it doesn't sound like payment complaints (although there are some compensation concerns) as much as treatment complaints. It sounds like the way video games treat voice actors (not just in terms of pay) is kinda craptastic compared with movie/tv standards and the voice actors union is demanding that the VG world get with the year 2015.

I like the counter demands, though. "We want to have the right to hire someone from within our company, and if we do that, we don't have to meet the voice actors union standards."

That is so funny to me. It's like, "Well, if we hired someone from your crybaby union, sure, but we don't care enough about VO to mess around with you whiners. We'll just have one of our programmers do a mediocre voice, pay him whatever we want, and not even look at your standards. He's just happy to have a job in this industry." etc etc capitalism

Sweet lord, that's the dumbest argument that will make them lose money so fast. Unless it's house of the dead, bad voice acting is so freaking distracting.

I really hope things are more fine tuned in future propositions. What constitutes "vocal stress"? Where is the line drawn? Words read? Time? A percentage of vocal range? I agree with them about working conditions, but I do agree that not every person providing voice work should have to join the union. I hope they can hammer out an agreement shortly.

I was in a movie once and I didn't have to pay into the actor's union. If I did, I would have said fuck that. I wasn't the star, but I was in one. The same goes for video games. If they want a part to go to someone internal, they should have the right to do so. I don't agree with the way TV voice acting is done. You HAVE to use someone in the union.

I'm in one of those slumps again where absolute zero games sound fun to play... =\