Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

Instead of a reboot, they should take the same ideas and apply them in a different setting, with different characters, under a different name.

I'm just annoyed that Robert Englund isn't coming back. So fuck it.

He's 68. Even if he did another one, what kind of performance would we get? The role takes a lot out of him and we'd be watching a stuntman half the time. It's sad, but he left us with a lot of screen time. That's more than pretty much any other performer per character can say.

Instead of a reboot, they should take the same ideas and apply them in a different setting, with different characters, under a different name.

BOOM! We have a winner right here. This is the solution I was trying to get out.

@Scarecrow

Thanks man!

To sum up, the antagonist's gender in Terminator 3 wasn't one of the many problems with that movie.

Can we all agree on that?

He's 68. Even if he did another one, what kind of performance would we get? The role takes a lot out of him and we'd be watching a stuntman half the time. It's sad, but he left us with a lot of screen time. That's more than pretty much any other performer per character can say.

Something I've always wondered: was Freddy the only killer that can enter people's dreams? What if there's a whole Nightmare dimension within the human subconscious that these demons, specifically the Dream Demons from Nightmare 6, are able to access but can't physically harm people, therefore nightmares occur. However, being demons that love to cause pain and suffering, they employ murderers and maniacs who fit certain criteria, promising eternal life and the ability to kill whoever they want as long as they don't leave the Dream Dimension. But, if no one knows of your crimes or fears your name, you have no power in dreams. Because a plain dream can't hurt you.

After all, every town has an Elm Street.

Something I've always wondered: was Freddy the only killer that can enter people's dreams? What if there's a whole Nightmare dimension within the human subconscious that these demons, specifically the Dream Demons from Nightmare 6, are able to access but can't physically harm people, therefore nightmares occur. However, being demons that love to cause pain and suffering, they employ murderers and maniacs who fit certain criteria, promising eternal life and the ability to kill whoever they want as long as they don't leave the Dream Dimension. But, if no one knows of your crimes or fears your name, you have no power in dreams. Because a plain dream can't hurt you.

After all, every town has an Elm Street.

I think you just conceived of an explanation for why a Nightmare movie can carry a female antagonist without out and out recasting and gender swapping Freddy Kruger.

But on the other hand, it would kind of eliminate the point of Freddy Krueger being THE dream killer.

BOOM! We have a winner right here. This is the solution I was trying to get out.

@Scarecrow

Thanks man!

This is the message I see when people say "Just make a totally different franchise!" in response to the suggestion of genderswapping a character:

"If female representation is going to happen it's absolutely not allowed to leverage the success of an already well-known and loved franchise, and has to start from the very beginning. Preserving the memory of this film is even more important than gender equality to me"

Which is why I think it's frankly a bullshit notion, as well-intended as it is.

Also cuz it seems y'all just fuckin ignored it:

Ya make a franchise reboot and swap someone's gender, die-hard fans will shit on it for not being true or for disrespecting the memory of the franchise or whatever stupid nonsense

You make a completely new franchise with a female protag, die-hard fans of the franchise it was inspired by will shit on it for trying to be anything like the franchise ON TOP of featuring a female protag

I'm a die-hard fan of a few franchises and I don't think you know much about me beyond that I'm 1) male 2)Play adventure games 3)Like horror movies.

I ignored it for a reason.

Okay cool story bro, but in case you haven't noticed this conversation has never been about you. You're a drop in the bucket compared to every other movie buff clinging desperately to their favorite films from the 80s and 90s

The fact that you're supportive doesn't change the fact that the general trend is as I've described

A character, male or female, that has the exact same personality as another is bland and uninteresting. I'd rather an original character with her own choice of weapon, style and menace. Like maybe a character that's a mixture of Elizabeth Bathory and Andrea Yates. That's someone I'd be fucking terrified of. And it wouldn't be gimmicky.

"How about 5 bucks, a bag of donuts, and a butterscotch enema?"

I think people need to relax. It's just the internet.

Ugh screw it.

You guys are too wrapped up in what you personally like to understand being supportive despite your own objections is like, really important to eventually getting better, original female representation in the future. Because when Hollywood sees these movies with female protags doing well, maybe they'll take a hint and start doing it more.

edit: But honestly, I'm starting to get the feeling that it's not important to any of you to begin with. Not important enough, anyway.

Speaking of female positive horror films... Kind of. Has anyone here seen Crimson Peak yet? Because daaaaaaaaaaaaym!

Too much Jane Austen crap. And I was really hoping the ghosts would play a bigger role in the climax.

Aside from that, gorgeous movie, great performances.

I can't believe no one took me up on that Wunderbar. They're damn good.

People are going to think what people are going to think and it's up to them to change or not.

If someone hates peanut butter and caramel, they don't have to eat the Wunderbar.

Perhaps maybe they don't hate them as much as they think they do and will give it a shot and be pleasantly surprised.

Speaking of female positive horror films... Kind of. Has anyone here seen Crimson Peak yet? Because daaaaaaaaaaaaym!

Too much Jane Austen crap. And I was really hoping the ghosts would play a bigger role in the climax.

The Jane Austen crap was the best part though, also the intense bursts of graphic violence.

The violence was on point. The romance was hackneyed.

And the first Nightmare movie was pretty female positive. Also, Under The Skin.

The Jane Austen crap was the best part though, also the intense bursts of graphic violence.

The violence was on point. The romance was hackneyed.

And the first Nightmare movie was pretty female positive.

Funny, since the movie is clearly a gothic romance first, and a horror/ghost story second. I was super into both sides of the film, but I am a pretty massive romance dork.

I'm not a fan of romance stories. I prefer romance to be used as a plot point rather than a genre. What drew me to this movie was that I heard it was like a good Hammer movie. Del Toro nailed the atmosphere, but the plot was slightly unoriginal and the ghosts didn't really have a part to play except to show up every now and then.

My favorite scene involved a sink.

A character, male or female, that has the exact same personality as another is bland and uninteresting. I'd rather an original character with her own choice of weapon, style and menace. Like maybe a character that's a mixture of Elizabeth Bathory and Andrea Yates. That's someone I'd be fucking terrified of. And it wouldn't be gimmicky.

This soo much

Story and characters should stand on their own merit, not serve an "everyone inclusive" and "lining pockets".

This is the same hollywood that remakes/rapes foreign movies for the american public

This soo much

Story and characters should stand on their own merit, not serve an "everyone inclusive" and "lining pockets".

This is the same hollywood that remakes/rapes foreign movies for the american public

Please continue to not live in reality and ignore how hard it is for original movies with female protags, even good ones, to do well.

Edit: Actually, really, fuck you guys. I'm done. I'm really for real done now. I can't take having to explain everything to you in the hopes you'll even care

Looks like I went to bed at the right time.

I can't be arsed to go back and read the whole thing.

Feminism wins.

Epic, the fact that you care---really truly care---so much that I put pigtails and hearts on a RATM album cover is sort of concerning.

I don't really have the energy to do another one of these threads.

Are people angry for real, or is this some kind of friendly joke between friends, that I as a somewhat outsider don't get? :)

It's only a damn movie...

We literally just spent the last four pages bitching about whether or not Freddy Krueger should be gender swapped.

A smattering of my favorite words, phonologically:

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Australopithecus

Bamboozled

Bituminous

Bulbous

Vamoose

Voluminous

Quixotic

A smattering of my favorite words, phonologically:

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Australopithecus

Bamboozled

Bituminous

Bulbous

Vamoose

Voluminous

Quixotic

Ooh, I *do* like that one. A good addition.

I would also like to add a Lovecraft favorite: antediluvian

My wife, ever the prankster, dyed my hair pink while I was sleeping last night. AND I DIDN'T NOTICE UNTIL FIVE MINUTES AGO.

This means war.

Thing is, my hair has a natural slicked back look, so it looks like SHYTE. My coworkers are gonna give me soooo much shit when I go to work this evening.

One thing's for sure. I'm going to have to one-up her.

Thing is, my hair has a natural slicked back look, so it looks like SHYTE. My coworkers are gonna give me soooo much shit when I go to work this evening.

One thing's for sure. I'm going to have to one-up her.

make sure the carpet matches the drapes