Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

But really the first Assassin's Creed is great.

Nope.

Just thinking about playing one of those games makes me feel sleepy.

Again, 4th game is the best of the series.

But that ain't exactly saying much. Don't think I'll be getting Syndicate

Nope.

When I say that I don't like any Assassin's Creed and then someone says, "But X is the best Assassin's Creed", it's kind of like if I said, "I don't like Kanye West's music, at all, period" and then someone said, "His first/fourth album is his best one, though." It's cool you guys think so, but... even the "best of" Kanye West is still not something I'm interested in. Likewise Assassin's Creed.

Nope.

When I say that I don't like any Assassin's Creed and then someone says, "But X is the best Assassin's Creed", it's kind of like if I said, "I don't like Kanye West's music, at all, period" and then someone said, "His first/fourth album is his best one, though." It's cool you guys think so, but... even the "best of" Kanye West is still not something I'm interested in. Likewise Assassin's Creed.

I have zero interest in Bioshock and people keep on telling me how great Infinity is.

On an unrelated note:

And, I found the article you are referring to. Gah. People are crazy sometimes. I really these type of "feminists" as they sour the movement for everyone. There are still things that need to be addressed for women's rights, but these types of people just get in the way.

They are the Westboro Baptist Church of feminism.

But I wish there were some kind of way to tell steam "No to this. Forever. Never this. Not any. None. No."

Things I wish Steam would stop "suggesting" to me, because I will never, ever, ever say yes:

--Anything to do with any Assassin's Creed (I loathe this franchise, and no matter how many I decline, there are still somehow MORE)

--Anything COD (same as assassin's creed)

--Any MOBA

--Any visual novel---especially the anime/waifu variety

--Anything WWII (or based on any other real war, for that matter)

--Fighting (e.g. street fighter, smash bros, etc)

--Minimalist

--Mobile games ported to steam

An opt out for certain genres, tags and publishers would be great :).

I would probably opt out from not only Assassins Creed, but Ubisoft in general. They do games that are fine, but they feel like filler in general, the kind of games you play if you have played everything else in your general. They're like the movies you watch on TV because you happened to stumble upon them, and you have nothing else in particular to do right now.

I would probably opt out from all the things you list there, I don't care for them either.

I'm a bit unsure about Visual Novels though. Don't care for the japanese ones, but I do think that 80 Days is one the most fantastic games I've encountered (even though I haven't beaten it yet), so if there are more like that one...

OK, I have a plan for some video reviews this week. I just really, really hope I can pull it off - I've left it VERY last minute.

They do games that are fine, but they feel like filler in general, the kind of games you play if you have played everything else in your general. They're like the movies you watch on TV because you happened to stumble upon them, and you have nothing else in particular to do right now.

This describes my feelings toward Assassins' Creed much better than I ever could. When I play AC, it certainly feels like I am doing something, but it mostly feels like killing/wasting time. Not really having fun. The video game equivalent of twiddling my thumbs. It's not the worst thing I've ever played, but it is nothing I would ever ask to play if there were anything else around.

I liked Prince of Persia back in the PS2 days. And Beyond Good & Evil was excellent. But Ubi has been pretty crap in the post-PS2 days.

The anime/waifu visual novels are the ones that bug me the most, because there are just so god damn many of them, and they seem to be multiplying like cancer. It is pretty rare that I receive a suggestion for a visual novel that is not anime/waifu. But it would be nice to block a specific set of tags, the way that you can filter out email "with any of the following words in the subject line", it would be nice if I could set up a suggestion filter for "any game tagged as 'visual novel' and 'anime'". Also, "visual novel" and "dating sim".

They do games that are fine, but they feel like filler in general, the kind of games you play if you have played everything else in your general. They're like the movies you watch on TV because you happened to stumble upon them, and you have nothing else in particular to do right now.

This describes my feelings toward Assassins' Creed much better than I ever could. When I play AC, it certainly feels like I am doing something, but it mostly feels like killing/wasting time. Not really having fun. The video game equivalent of twiddling my thumbs. It's not the worst thing I've ever played, but it is nothing I would ever ask to play if there were anything else around.

I liked Prince of Persia back in the PS2 days. And Beyond Good & Evil was excellent. But Ubi has been pretty crap in the post-PS2 days.

At least they did Rocksmith

I do not even understand Shufflepuck Cantina. Some days I play it and I feel like I can't lose. Some days I play it and I wonder how I ever managed to win against even the easiest opponent.

We just had to put our oldest cat to sleep. 8^(

That's sad to hear. :(

How old was it?

She was 11ish. She was really, really sick because she wouldn't eat, and it turns out that she had a malignant tumor in her nasal cavity that couldn't be surgically removed.

So, year, regarding true fotball (soccer). My favorite sport team in Sweden won against my least favorite one right now, to keep the fight about the championship alive until the last round of the league.

That's something. Pretty awesome actually.

The sad thing, and the thing that makes it worthwhile to comment, is that they're so close to really good thing. It's not like the Call of Duty's, that I just don't care about.

Ubisoft are close to greatness, but choose to settle to being shit. Because that sells.

So, year, regarding true fotball (soccer). My favorite sport team in Sweden won against my least favorite one right now, to keep the fight about the championship alive until the last round of the league.

The sad thing, and the thing that makes it worthwhile to comment, is that they're so close to really good thing. It's not like the Call of Duty's, that I just don't care about.

Ubisoft are close to greatness, but choose to settle to being shit. Because that sells.

Most of Skyrim and The Witcher 3 could also be argued to be filler. But it's good filler. Amazing filler, even. The kind of filler that sends you poking around in the dark corners of the world for hours, just so you know you didn't miss anything amazing.

I think the Assassin's Creed games feel sterile. Like there was no human hand involved at any point in their creation. Like, if I search someone's house in Skyrim, I can usually get a good feel for what their like, and the side quests in The Witcher are generally well written.

Wait, you're in Sweden, the rape capital of the west?

Most of Skyrim and The Witcher 3 could also be argued to be filler. But it's good filler. Amazing filler, even. The kind of filler that sends you poking around in the dark corners of the world for hours, just so you know you didn't miss anything amazing.

I think the Assassin's Creed games feel sterile. Like there was no human hand involved at any point in their creation. Like, if I search someone's house in Skyrim, I can usually get a good feel for what their like, and the side quests in The Witcher are generally well written.

Yeah, I agree with that. But the thing I found frustrating is that so many critics rave about AC's attention to historical detail as far as getting the architecture just right and putting in all of these little historical cameos and stuff. Some people feel like that makes it really interesting, but it actually just reminds me of a really good lecture I watched once on what it means to make an artistic game (and this was YEEEEARS ago---before the indie explosion and the endless blabbing about 'are games art', etc). Or more specifically it was a lecture on what does NOT make a game artistic. The guy even made an example game to illustrate the point. It was a sidescrolling platformer where you controlled shakespeare as your character. The background music was mozart, and you jumped around on platforms made of strings of notes from actual symphonies, and you had to collect 10 paintings, which were all classic works of art. The point being that this is not a clever or artistic game. It is a mediocre platformer with a lot of reference-dropping wallpaper. He did it partly as a sort of response to the line of thinking (largely uncritically accepted as axiomatic to many people) that games are necessarily highly artistic since they are made of lots of different art assets. But his dumb platformer showed that you can "make a game out of high quality art" and it is still dumb. A game should aspire to be more than the sum of its assets.

I think Assassin's Creed is guilty of falling into that trap multiple times to the tune of billions and billions of dollars. I mean, I give them kudos for meticulously reconstructing actual architecture and everything, but let's be honest about what kind of impressive that is and what kind of impressive that is not. Maybe to a certain degree, Assassin's Creed is just a multi-billion dollar version of jumping on platforms made of strings of notes from real classical music while collecting real famous paintings.

I liked what they were going for. I was super interested in the original one, because I was a big fan of the PS2 era Prince of Persias, and the original AC looked like an open world POP. I assumed it was going to be like a cross of POP with Zelda sort of a thing.

But... its trademark platforming is boring. The stealth is boring. The combat is boring. The missions are checklisty and repetitive. The games LOOK PHENOMENAL and they are impressive from a technical standpoint, but I found them utterly unengaging.

AC is basically the video game equivalent of Pharrell to me. Everybody loves it. It's on tv, on the radio, people are talking about it, asking me if I like it, suggesting it to me. And I hate it, but it's such a popular thing that not liking it makes you some kind of weird grinch, which just MAKES THE GRINCHINESS INTENSIFY.

Assassins Creed 4 made me realize I just want more pirates and naval combat.

I wouldn't everybody loves assassins creed. I generally see more people show dislike for the series nowadays, save for AC4 which I saw almost nothing but praise for.

Unless you know how f***ing difficult this game is, you may not understand how proud of this I am right now.

100 to 0.

I am your god now, Furry. You will address me as MISTER Sexypants.

PS: My wrist hurts now.

9ED13DE2CFA95044C48165C62A923F2FA43CAA63

Assassins Creed 4 made me realize I just want more pirates and naval combat.

I wouldn't everybody loves assassins creed. I generally see more people show dislike for the series nowadays, save for AC4 which I saw almost nothing but praise for.

I loved the naval combat sidequests in 3. in AC4 however, I got bored with the repetitiveness of the "boat" missions. meh, the game was free on xbox live gold anyway.

Unless you know how f***ing difficult this game is, you may not understand how proud of this I am right now.

100 to 0.

What. Is that.

100 to 0.

You are a god among men.

Good grief.

100 to 0.

You are a god among men.

Good grief.

I quit the game and then went back to it 20 minutes later. I couldn't go 2 points without him scoring. I don't know what it is about this god damn game, but every time I turn it on it's like I'm either invincible or I'm useless. There is no grey.

What's the difference between interactive fiction and a visual novel? I was thinking that I share most of the concerns about visual novels that Anemone has, but I have actually enjoyed a few, though I could only remember The Maker's Eden. I was really hooked on The 39 Steps too, but there's a lot less interactivity in that one, so I'm guessing that's why it's tagged as interactive fiction on Steam instead of visual novel. Read Only Memories is tagged as VN too, and that's great so far. It has puzzles and an inventory and feels as much as a p&c to me. A Bird Story also comes up on a search on the user tag, and while I didn't like it nearly as much as To the Moon, I thought it was enjoyable and sweet. Most of the stuff that comes up is anime though, and that doesn't appeal to me at all.

I did rather enjoy Heavy Rain, but not so much for Beyond. I'd probably have less of a stigma for these games if Cage wasn't such an egotistical ass. The new game seems interesting, so I will only watch trailers and gameplay. Cage is such a dick.

What's the difference between interactive fiction and a visual novel? I was thinking that I share most of the concerns about visual novels that Anemone has, but I have actually enjoyed a few, though I could only remember The Maker's Eden. I was really hooked on The 39 Steps too, but there's a lot less interactivity in that one, so I'm guessing that's why it's tagged as interactive fiction on Steam instead of visual novel. Read Only Memories is tagged as VN too, and that's great so far. It has puzzles and an inventory and feels as much as a p&c to me. A Bird Story also comes up on a search on the user tag, and while I didn't like it nearly as much as To the Moon, I thought it was enjoyable and sweet. Most of the stuff that comes up is anime though, and that doesn't appeal to me at all.

My revulsion to it has more to do with the waifu content than the form itself. I honestly think that "interactive fiction" is a really vague term that doesn't mean much of anything, since it could apply on some level to pretty much any game ever made. The original super mario bros is interactive fiction in a manner of speaking.

I think the intuitive difference, though, is that visual novels tend to be mostly text-based, centered around dialogue tree gameplay, and multiple choice type choice and consequence. Interactive fiction is a game that---like a visual novel---is primarily concerned with delivering its story, but it uses a less textual interaction language---so something like Gone Home would be more in line with interactive fiction, I'd say. Something like To The Moon is hard to place in one or the other.

I'm not super interested in visual novels as a form, though I'm not opposed to them exactly. I absolutely loved To The Moon. I thought Bird Story was a nice idea but was nowhere close to the excellence of To The Moon. Its characters were too few, its story too simple. There wasn't really much interesting conflict to it. It was just sort of following a solitary kid doing one thing after another. Like an old dog that just sleeps all day, Bird Story was sweet but boring.

What turns me off with these constant visual novel suggestions is primarily the anime thing. Not that I have anything against anime, because I have seen some that I've liked. But there is an overly large amount of EXPERIENCE THE DRAMA OF BEING IN A TEENAGE LOVE TRIANGLE WITH THREE GIGGLY VIRGINS WITH BLUE HAIR AND CAT EARS. <3 <3 <3 WHAT FLAVOR OF VIRGIN DO YOU LIKE??? SHY BLUSHING GIRL?? <3 <3 <3 SILLY HYPER ANIMAL GIRL??? <3 <3 <3 <3 B*TCHY GIRL WHO BEATS YOU UP BUT STILL KINDA WANTS TO BONE YOU ANYWAY???? <3 <3 <3 <3 WELL THEN HAVE I GOT A WAIFU VISUAL NOVEL FOR YOU! <3 <3 *~*~*~*~

And it usually has a nonsense name with some random numbers and letters in there for who knows why. Something like BEAUTIFUL E4RTH 512 OVERDRIVE ZX or something.

I just, ugh. I'd rather play Bad Rats.