Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

I still haven't warmed to any of the 2016 candidates. As a right winger, this is a tough year.

That's something that people here on DFAF won't take kindly to.

Hi everyone! I narrowly avoided being selected as a juror in a week long criminal trial!

Could Bill be the first President to become First Lady?

This is actually really weird to think about...

I still haven't warmed to any of the 2016 candidates. As a right winger, this is a tough year.

Hi, Noname. This is epic, DFAF's personal assistant. If you ever want to know more about anyone on DFAF and the things they believe and what they do or do not take kindly to, feel free to just ask him.

=P

On a more serious note, I obviously am not right wing. Noname is obviously not left wing, but he doesn't seem to "not take kindly to me". We disagree on stuff sometimes, but disagreements--even staunch ones--are not by default witch hunts.

Also, DFAF is kind of a left wingy company stationed in the most left wingy place in the entire country, sooo... maybe not surprising that there are a large number of left wingy fans.

Hi, Noname. This is epic, DFAF's personal assistant. If you ever want to know more about anyone on DFAF and the things they believe and what they do or do not take kindly to, feel free to just ask him.

=P

On a more serious note, I obviously am not right wing. Noname is obviously not left wing, but he doesn't seem to "not take kindly to me". We disagree on stuff sometimes, but disagreements--even staunch ones--are not by default witch hunts.

Also, DFAF is kind of a left wingy company stationed in the most left wingy place in the entire country, sooo... maybe not surprising that there are a large number of left wingy fans.

Well, that's what I was trying to get at, but something went wrong.

Well, the US state I live in is the reddest state in the union. I want to say the most "conservative" state, but who the heck knows what that even means anymore? But I am not a conservative. I am not a liberal. I am fairly centrist, Oklahoma Democrat. Seriously... pick a controversial issue, /any/ controversial issue. Nine times out of ten, I'm more interested in civil, intelligent debate about it rather than sticking to a singular viewpoint.

However, while I am smack-dab middle-of-the-road on /several/ key controversial issues, I /am/, in fact, a devout Christian, and that is enough to get me eaten alive at least twice round these parts. Meanwhile, the conservatives in my state like to demonize the teachers unions and decide that, when there is a budget shortfall, the first place to take funds from is public education; and listening to Rush Limbaugh (or /anyone/ with a political show on the only local talk-radio station that isn't NPR) for any length of time longer than 10 seconds makes me genuinely angry.

I'm sick of the left wing acting like Christianity is belief in a pack of lies and made up stories; and I'm sick of the right wing usurping a claim to my faith and using it as a capitalist, political tool. Especially for things as /unbelievably/ stupid as boycotting Starbucks for having plain red cups instead of snowflake-y ones.

Well, the US state I live in is the reddest state in the union. I want to say the most "conservative" state, but who the heck knows what that even means anymore? But I am not a conservative. I am not a liberal. I am fairly centrist, Oklahoma Democrat. Seriously... pick a controversial issue, /any/ controversial issue. Nine times out of ten, I'm more interested in civil, intelligent debate about it rather than sticking to a singular viewpoint.

However, while I am smack-dab middle-of-the-road on /several/ key controversial issues, I /am/, in fact, a devout Christian, and that is enough to get me eaten alive at least twice round these parts. Meanwhile, the conservatives in my state like to demonize the teachers unions and decide that, when there is a budget shortfall, the first place to take funds from is public education; and listening to Rush Limbaugh (or /anyone/ with a political show on the only local talk-radio station that isn't NPR) for any length of time longer than 10 seconds makes me genuinely angry.

I'm sick of the left wing acting like Christianity is belief in a pack of lies and made up stories; and I'm sick of the right wing usurping a claim to my faith and using it as a capitalist, political tool.

Speaking of Oklahoma politics, did you know that one of the cowboys from The Amazing Race is running for state senate in your state?

Huh. Figures.

EDIT: But just to put it out there: I voted for Obama twice. And I really do like Bernie a lot. I /really/ do. He makes a lot of sense and is a breath of fresh air and common sense about how the distribution of wealth and power is crazygonuts in this country. But his views on various issues are really so out on the left that I just can't do it. I like you, Bernie, but I'm voting for Hillary.

Huh. Figures.

Yeah, his name is Jet McCoy and he's running under the Republican Party. This is what his platform is according to his campaign's home page.

Jet believes in a limited government, is 100% Pro-Life, 100% Pro-Traditional Marriage, and is Pro-2nd Amendment.

If you watched season 16 of The Amazing Race, Jet and his brother Cord made some homophobic comments about the would-be winners of that season, Dan and Jordan.

Huh. Figures.

Yeah, his name is Jet McCoy and he's running under the Republican Party. This is what his platform is according to his campaign's home page.

Jet believes in a limited government, is 100% Pro-Life, 100% Pro-Traditional Marriage, and is Pro-2nd Amendment.

If you watched season 16 of The Amazing Race, Jet and his brother Cord made some homophobic comments about the would-be winners of that season, Dan and Jordan.

When people say "limited government" I'm thinking "okay, define 'limited', please." They keep using that word. I don't think it means what they think it means. I don't think limited government is supposed to mean taking money out of essential services, like public education for our state's children, so instead they all grow up to be dumb as a box of rocks and our teachers can barely afford to put food on the table and keep the lights on at the same time. But why not? That way the kids will grow up to vote straight-ticket Republican, regardless of who runs because they don't know better.

Also: woo. pro-gun. yay. Let's tell Obama he's not going to take our guns away. Stupid gun lobby.

I really do hate the Republican spin machine. So many gullible people out there, and if enough people repeat the same lie enough times, people will begin to believe it must be true. And that's when they vote for Trump or Cruz.

What's your take on Rubio?

Cursory scan of: http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Marco_Rubio.htm

Okay, fine on the abortion issue...

Okay, wait. This trickle-down economic theory, where if you give money to the wealthy and big business then it creates jobs and thus trickles down to the poor who use said money to buy things, is nonsense. I took Macroeconomics in college, and "supply-side economics" (which is it's real name) has been tried for centuries by various different countries and governments, and never worked. Not once. So giving massive tax breaks to large corporations isn't going to do jack squat to help lower income people's lives not suck.

hmm...He doesn't believe that climate change is affected by human activity, and he believes the free market, not government regulation, will solve environmental problems. Sure, just like the free market stopped textile factories from locking workers inside during a building fire causing them to burn to death. You may not trust the government, but I trust big business far less not to keep from ruining the lives of everyone on the planet in the pursuit of money.

Nope.

Still better than Trump or Cruz, though.

[EDIT:] My opinion on climate change: Yes, it's a big problem. Yes, humans are affecting it. We have polar ice core samples which scientifically prove that. No, we may not be able to fix the planet ourselves at this point. But God can. Sure, He can. But does that give us license to not be good stewards of our planet and do everything in our power to protect the environment? No. The power of prayer is not an excuse for complacency and laziness. And I believe politicians' complacency about climate change is largely motivated by greed, so I'm having none of that nonsense.

Okay, wait. This trickle-down economic theory, where if you give money to the wealthy and big business then it creates jobs and thus trickles down to the poor who use said money to buy things, is nonsense. I took Macroeconomics in college, and "supply-side economics" (which is it's real name) has been tried for centuries by various different countries and governments, and never worked. Not once. So giving massive tax breaks to large corporations isn't going to do jack squat to help lower income people's lives not suck.

hmm...He doesn't believe that climate change is affected by human activity, and he believes the free market, not government regulation, will solve environmental problems. Sure, just like the free market stopped textile factories from locking workers inside during a building fire causing them to burn to death. You may not trust the government, but I trust big business far less not to keep from ruining the lives of everyone on the planet in the pursuit of money.

Nope.

How about Carson

How about Carson

Carson isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the pack.

Let me break it down this way: Nothing that the current Republican candidates have said lately has won my opinion over to them. The Democrats are debating the issues, while the Republicans are all flinging poop at each other. Case in point: the whole debacle with someone in Bernie's campaign office taking advantage of accidentally getting access to Hillary's data. When Bernie was asked about it at a debate, he interrupted the host mid-sentence and straight up apologized to Hillary. The Republicans wouldn't do that sort of thing, and it speaks to their character.

And, given recent history, where Ted Cruz himself was responsible for the government shutdown; the Republicans in Congress said from Day 1 in 2009 that they would block Obama from getting anything done; the nonsense that comes out of Republican pundits, like Glenn Beck saying that playing Watch Dogs teaches kids to become hackers; ...I just can't stand for it.

Nope.

How about Carson

Why Carson is still running is beyond me. He's not mentally competent. How about Kasich?

Why Carson is still running is beyond me. He's not mentally competent. How about Kasich?

http://www.ontheissues.org/John_Kasich.htm

Okay, I'm not seeing anything particularly squirrely. Need more information.

[EDIT:] http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/john-kasich-believe-candidate-stands-10-issues/

In crafting his state’s budget, Kasich used his veto power to cut more than $84 million of funding from public schools.

what.

Kasich believes that in order to defeat ISIS, the U.S.will eventually have to put combat troops on the ground.
Not a fan.
The Ohio Republican has called for the rest of Obamacare to be repealed and replaced.
Oh, stop it. You don't need to repeal the Affordable Care Act. In fact, if it wasn't a Democrat who proposed it, you wouldn't have an issue; and if most of the public are asked whether they support any specific aspects which are part of the Affordable Care Act, they do. They just oppose ObamaCare, because it's called ObamaCare. But it's the same damn thing. So stop it. Just stop.

Rubio also tends to crack under pressure, as seen by his curb-stomping via Christie. (Christie: You're a robot, Rubio: Beep boop)

Ben Carson was the most brilliant brain surgeon in the world, but I think that gave him that smart person's disease where they're so used to being unquestioned that they're incapable of learning new things. Because he definitely hasn't bothered to learn anything about any non-brain surgery thing in favor of going with his gut. And his gut never bothered to learn anything either.

Out of the whole field, I kinda only liked Christie, but only until he said that he wouldn't let three year old Syrian refugee orphans into the country because they might be really patient terrorists. And not in a "I might vote for him" kind of way, more of a "I wouldn't be start ripping out my hair if he were elected president because at least he's a team player" way.

Ben Carson's house is not the house of a mentally sound person.

Ben Carson's house is a shrine to Jesus and Ben Carson.

But mostly to Ben Carson.

Where a sane individual might put a giant oil painting of Jesus, Ben Carson puts a giant painting of himself with a sportive Jesus above his mantle place.

Ben Carson scares me in a visceral way.

Ben Carson will never become president. So, I'm not super worried. Most people seem to have wised up to the fact that he tends to just make up stuff if he doesn't know the answer and then double down and refuse to budge when the experts tell him he's wrong.

It was pretty funny when he got upset and thought people were slandering him for saying that he *didn't* stab a dude.

oooh american political debate

*grabs popcorn*

Soo how much power does the US president actually have?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_of_the_President_of_the_United_States

The President of the United States has numerous powers, including those explicitly granted by Article II of the United States Constitution, implied powers, powers granted by Acts of Congress, and the influence and soft power that comes from being President of the United States of America.

The Constitution explicitly assigns to the president the power to sign or veto legislation, command the armed forces, ask for the written opinion of his Cabinet, convene or adjourn Congress, grant reprieves and pardons, and receive ambassadors. The president may make treaties which need to be ratified by two thirds of the Senate. The president may also appoint Article III judges and some officers with advice and consent of the Senate ( consent being by simple majority) and if there is a Senate recess, he may make temporary appointments.

oooh american political debate

*grabs popcorn*

Soo how much power does the US president actually have?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_of_the_President_of_the_United_States

The President of the United States has numerous powers, including those explicitly granted by Article II of the United States Constitution, implied powers, powers granted by Acts of Congress, and the influence and soft power that comes from being President of the United States of America.

The Constitution explicitly assigns to the president the power to sign or veto legislation, command the armed forces, ask for the written opinion of his Cabinet, convene or adjourn Congress, grant reprieves and pardons, and receive ambassadors. The president may make treaties which need to be ratified by two thirds of the Senate. The president may also appoint Article III judges and some officers with advice and consent of the Senate ( consent being by simple majority) and if there is a Senate recess, he may make temporary appointments.

I was actually wondering how much of a tool the president is

Cheeseburgers > Politics

Hmm, I guess that's why Chris Christie dropped out.