Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

I'd love to see a really good Die Hard video game. Preferably a third person shooter.

Max Payne 3?

I'd love to see a really good Die Hard video game. Preferably a third person shooter.

Max Payne 3?

Yeah, I did get that vibe. In the last level, when you jump off a staircase and shoot a grenade as it's being fired out of a grenade launcher, I just realized how epic it would have been if he had said "Yippiekiyay, motherfucker!"

Sadly, as has been the case with so many PC ports of old classics as of late, the Disgaea port to PC... isn't as god awful as some of the reviewers kinda make it out... but it's still kinda on the janky side.

I like that they added the ability to use the mouse, but maybe this is a case of "be careful what you wish for", because it's technically in there, but it's so awkward to use that I frankly mostly felt like I'd rather just use a controller. Especially frustrating is that mouse clicks often just don't seem to register at all.

The ability to control movement via the mouse is a very nice addition, but the way they made the character move faster based on the cursor distance from Laharl (emulating degree of tilt on a joystick) makes moving with the mouse feel kinda frustrating. I don't dislike the distance=speed thing, per se, since other games have been known to do it, but it's so extreme in this port that it feels kinda wonky.

The new menus and character portraits look nice, but they didn't do anything to improve the in-game sprites except to add a blur effect, which actually just makes them look worse. But the new sprites are tied to the new menus and portraits. You can't have new menus and portraits with old sprites, for example. You have to have all three or none.

Lots of new effects you can turn on like SSAO, edge blur, depth of field, etc, but turning them on seems to just tank the game's performance (dropping the FPS below 20 for even higher end PCs, according to some reports) and it frankly doesn't really look very good. It's better to just turn all the fancy new effects off and change almost everything to old style. The only thing that seems worth keeping is the updated interface/portraits, but like I said, that also gives you the ugly blur sprites.

Also there are no resolution options, so if you're playing on a high resolution monitor (which I imagine pretty much all nerds are these days), your only choice is to play at what is probably a 1024x768 resolution that is just stretched, so it gets kinda warped and weird.

It's still a decent port if you are okay with playing everything with the old style look, learn to live with the low resolution, and just ignore the mouse and play with a controller. Basically just play it like regular old console Disgaea.

But as for all the new stuff they did to try and "improve" it for PC... it's not great.

Here's an article that people doing an HD remaster of old games should maybe read, I don't know:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20151216/262004/Doing_an_HD_Remake_the_Right_Way_FFVI_Edition.php

Either Vertigo Comics and Warner Brothers do a Dirty Harry comic or by God I'll do it myself.

1972. In the midst of a public outcry regarding the handling of suspects and conduct of officers in the San Francisco Police Department, a man walks into a Potrero Hill station armed with a sawed off shotgun and kills four officers at point blank range before turning the gun on himself. Meanwhile, two motorcycle officers are gunned down in a drive by. Someone has declared war on the police. Suspects are numerous, ranging from drug dealers to Black Panthers.

And amongst all the chaos is one detective, recently thrown out of the Homicide department for his shooting of a deranged serial killer. Bitter, rough, and brutal in his tactics, he is one cop who will break the law to enforce it.

His name is Harry Callahan. They call him Dirty Harry.

I didn't get any tickets for Springsteen in Gothenburg this summer. :\

It's going to be a bit more expensive to get them later on.

I was asleep when they released the game. (YAY timezones) and just woke up to this. Disappointing. Maybe I'll refund this I'll have to give it a test drive on my PC. After the amazing port of Danganronpa this is extremely disappointing.

Okay. Gave it a go. Graphics are disappointing but not really important. I actually got so many fps my char was moving at a much too high speed. I'll have to get used to the generic button prompts for my gamepad. Some graphical options can be used to improve the overall quality. I recommend disabling the filter for the characters. They look way too murky with it on.

also the reolution seems to be whatever the window was when you started the game first stretched to your screen in fullscreen. Thankfully there was a widescreen mode option because it stretched terribly on a 5:4 monitor.

I tried to give it another go today using just the controller and all old settings to see if I could just play it okay classic style. Things were going pretty okay at first, until I entered and then left a shop. Then I got HUUUUGE tearing and FPS dropped like a rock.

Between this and the horror stories I've heard about Tales of Symphonia, I guess just don't buy any Japanese PC ports on day one, cuz daaaaamn.

Sounds like Vivendi is trying to sneaky sneaky buy out Ubisoft.

On one hand... poor Ubisoft...

On the other hand... meh, ubisoft.

7XVyVqhPnjk

There's a video game coming out based on the Jonestown massacre. So in 40 odd years will we get 9/11 games?

Definitely. An adventure game could probably be made now, actually. "A game" doesn't mean that you'll be flying the planes, and several movies have been made about 9/11, so why not?

7XVyVqhPnjk

There's a video game coming out based on the Jonestown massacre. So in 40 odd years will we get 9/11 games?

Coming soon to Oculus Rift, 9/11 The Video Game. Would you pay $60 to get onto the FBI's Most Wanted List?

I watched Episode 5 of Season 3 of Black Sails.

It's turning out to be one of my favorite tv shows ever.

Watch it.

7XVyVqhPnjk

Coming soon to Oculus Rift, 9/11 The Video Game. Would you pay $60 to get onto the FBI's Most Wanted List?

I'd imagine it'd be like some sort of science fiction game where you're caught in a time loop trying to stop the hijacking. Or warn the U.S. or the World Trade Center at least.

7XVyVqhPnjk

I'd imagine it'd be like some sort of science fiction game where you're caught in a time loop trying to stop the hijacking. Or warn the U.S. or the World Trade Center at least.

I think that that would be offensive to a lot of people, actually, and that no studio would dare fund it. I imagine people getting angry for being able to prevent the attacks in the game, since that is what they dream of actually doing every day. Maybe in 20 years, but not now. I think that a sort of meditative, reflective, and sad adventure game could be made today, but that's about it.

Or a game that is a metaphor for the attacks, but doesn't actually take place in the towers or on the planes.

If Spotlight wins best picture tonight over The Revenant or Mad Max, I'll lose my fucking mind.

Remember the time Raz turned into a monkey?

bling_google-1280x600.jpg

Come on, Google. Mimic Pixar, not Dreamworks. Dreamworks blows.