Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

If Spotlight wins best picture tonight over The Revenant or Mad Max, I'll lose my fucking mind.

I got some bad news for you.

If Spotlight wins best picture tonight over The Revenant or Mad Max, I'll lose my fucking mind.

F**K

Why does the Academy give Best Picture to a different film than what won best director? It's annoying.

F**K

Yes, now we get to watch you lose your mind.

michael-jackson-thriller-eating-popcorn_zpsbi8fb5rn.gif

F**K

Yes, now we get to watch you lose your mind.

michael-jackson-thriller-eating-popcorn_zpsbi8fb5rn.gif

Hey, you were at Telltale. You know damn well I already lost it.

I guess I should watch Spotlight now. I was actually really interested in that one anyways, so I guess my interest was worth it to some degree.

Would have preferred Mad Max to win, but hey, you can't have everything.

Why does the Academy give Best Picture to a different film than what won best director? It's annoying.

Becuase there's much more to a film than just the direction, you should know this.

Come on, Google. Mimic Pixar, not Dreamworks. Dreamworks blows.

I'm a big fan of Pixar films, but DreamWorks did The Prince of Egypt and for that they'll always have my respect. And they've done other brilliant ones like How to Train Your Dragon, Megamind and, yes, Shrek.

I'm a big fan of Pixar films, but DreamWorks did The Prince of Egypt and for that they'll always have my respect. And they've done other brilliant ones like How to Train Your Dragon, Megamind and, yes, Shrek.

I'll admit they're not all bad, but compared to Pixar animated films, Dreamworks films always seem much less inspired. Fart jokes. Slapstick humor. Always the same awful pop music blasting in every trailer.

I'll admit they're not all bad, but compared to Pixar animated films, Dreamworks films always seem much less inspired. Fart jokes. Slapstick humor. Always the same awful pop music blasting in every trailer.

The difference is that Pixar is built around a group of creative writers and directors, whereas Dreamworks is an animation studio with a marketing-centric approach that takes on projects from many different people.

I remember thinking that The Prince of Egypt was pretty bad, but I haven't seen it since it was released.

Haven't seen the Revenant, but most of Leo's movie end up very good, or at least very interesting, so it's on my list. Well deserved for him.

Wanted Sylvester Stallone to get another Oscar, but you can't get everything.

The difference is that Pixar is built around a group of creative writers and directors, whereas Dreamworks is an animation studio with a marketing-centric approach that takes on projects from many different people.

I remember thinking that The Prince of Egypt was pretty bad, but I haven't seen it since it was released.

That sounds about right. No offense if anyone on DFAF works in marketing, but... marketing is pretty much a word for "creating things that nobody will dislike but that nobody will especially enjoy!" Mediocrity set to pop music!

*doesn't watch any movies or shows*

*doesn't know what any of this is*

*narrows eyes and nods head as if following along*

*Secretly though: thinking about quesadillas*

*doesn't watch any movies or shows*

*doesn't know what any of this is*

*narrows eyes and nods head as if following along*

*Secretly though: thinking about quesadillas*

You're the last person I expect to not know anything about the Oscar films.

I guess we're derailing the thread here (maybe a mod should move the posts to the random thread), but: I have worked directly and indirectly with marketing for quite some time. Marketing should be a support function for selling your products and services, not a the people that decide which projects to pursue. Good marketing is about making customers want your products so that you dont actively have to sell them, but it's tempting to use marketing for "figuring out" what customers already want and try to make exactly that. Just don't. Want a well-known example, you say? The Psychonauts marketing report situation (

).

I guess we're derailing the thread here (maybe a mod should move the posts to the random thread), but: I have worked directly and indirectly with marketing for quite some time. Marketing should be a support function for selling your products and services, not a the people that decide which projects to pursue. Good marketing is about making customers want your products so that you dont actively have to sell them, but it's tempting to use marketing for "figuring out" what customers already want and try to make exactly that. Just don't. Want a well-known example, you say? The Psychonauts marketing report situation (
).

Yeah, I shouldn't knock on all marketing, and there have been some marketing campaigns I thought were really great, but I just hear so many horror stories, not just in the news, and not just the horrible things in those Psychonauts focus group comments, but I also hear horror stories from my friends at their respective businesses and even have had terrible experiences in my own work.

I remember at a previous university I was part of an implementation team that was setting up a writing and research commons in the library. It was actually a very big project that involved completely reorganizing and moving the library's stacks (which any librarian will tell you is no small task), bringing in several different types of small computer lab, which is a huge IT undertaking, figuring how professional and student staffing, pay, and management structure would work. But also how to communicate to the students, professors, and community what the purpose of this little research and writing commons area was for and what made it special.

Enter the marketing team, who go through 12 different "themed" marketing plans with us, which they've laid out on huge cards. They start going on about how we could do a world cultures theme, and there could be hardwood floors, a massage spa, and a sushi bar (????). Or we could do a school spirit theme (at this point people sit up and start paying attention) and decorate the entire area with footballs, jerseys, televisions that show highlights of school sporting events (at this point people groan and fall back into their chairs). It was seriously 12 different pitches and

A. Not a single one of the pitches showed even a shred of evidence that the marketing team understood what the purpose of this new space actually was.

B. Every single one of the pitches was trying to suggest what the new space SHOULD BE which is NOT their job.

C. In addition to proposing what the new space should be like, they were also trying to throw around ideas like changing the carpet, the walls, adding a sushi bar which would require sanitation and probably licensing and construction that had not been discussed, budgeted, or approved.

D. What the actual f**k?

I just... ugh. Too many people out there giving marketing a bad name, I guess.

I guess we're derailing the thread here (maybe a mod should move the posts to the random thread)

Done. :)

Remember the time Raz turned into a monkey?

bling_google-1280x600.jpg

It actually looks like it could be good. It reminds me of Meet the Robinsons, and I liked that film a lot.

"We're reviewing your documents

Thanks for checking in with us. Your documents are still being reviewed. We'll email you when your identity has been verified."

Fucking Paypal decided they don't think I'm me! so I had to find proof I'm me!

I'm trying to figure out Coolsome's style of comedy.

This site will help.

https://frinkiac.com/

It feels like a mixture of Robin Williams and Filthy Frank.

On my best day I couldn't touch the legendary Robin Williams on his worst.

Trust me, you're funnier than Old Dogs.