Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

I think it's an important democratic principle to be able to make jokes about any topic. Making "rape jokes" does not necessarily mean belittling people who have experienced sexual assault, or downplaying the consequences of rape. Humour is a way of dealing with a lot of different situations.

However, making "rape jokes" on an online forum is probably never good behaviour, since your meaning is often misinterpreted, and you don't know what other people on the forum might have experienced.

I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced sexual assault, Carl, and I definitely don't find that funny. I don't think that anyone else on this forum thinks that to be funny, either. However, the discussion was about whether "rape jokes" can be funny in general, and nobody made rape jokes (except that stupid drawing that was removed). It has to be possible to have a general discussion about the topic, but this might not be a good forum for that. Probably not, actually.

I myself never said I found them funny. All I did was try to get a few opinions, I wasn't trying to offend anybody or anything.

The thing is, there are people out there who still think the act itself is perfectly acceptable.

So making a joke around it in any public forum isn't a good idea. What's tongue in cheek to one person, is laugh out loud to another.

Can you make rape jokes? You bet. You do have the right. Should you? That depends on your audience and whether you're in a controlled environment, but for safety sake, no.

I've never been a fan of shock humour honestly. So I could probably count the jokes I've made around the topic on one hand. It's not something you walk into work and say "Hey guys, want to hear a great joke?!".

Bondage jokes are much easier. I could make one with both hands tied behind your back.

*rimshot*

I think it's an important democratic principle to be able to make jokes about any topic. Making "rape jokes" does not necessarily mean belittling people who have experienced sexual assault, or downplaying the consequences of rape. Humour is a way of dealing with a lot of different situations.

However, making "rape jokes" on an online forum is probably never good behaviour, since your meaning is often misinterpreted, and you don't know what other people on the forum might have experienced.

I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced sexual assault, Carl, and I definitely don't find that funny. I don't think that anyone else on this forum thinks that to be funny, either. However, the discussion was about whether "rape jokes" can be funny in general, and nobody made rape jokes (except that stupid drawing that was removed). It has to be possible to have a general discussion about the topic, but this might not be a good forum for that. Probably not, actually.

Oooohhhh no. Do NOT give me this bullshit. Do NOT try to soothe your ego by apologizing to me AFTER trying to make a case for rape jokes ever being okay. Fuck your apology, I have never read something more disgusting and disingenuous in my life. You would've definitely found that funny if it wasn't attached to a real, living person is what you're saying.

Don't try and pretend you're a good person if part of what you're saying is "It's okay to make fun of other people's trauma, as long as you're making fun of it to someone who has not experienced that trauma". There is no place in this world for rape jokes.

You really wanna discuss rape jokes though? Well you have, and here are the results:

RAPE JOKES ARE NEVER FUNNY IN ANY WAY. DO NOT MAKE RAPE JOKES EVER, NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO. YOU ARE A BAD PERSON AND DEAD TO ME IF YOU EVER MAKE A RAPE JOKE AND YOU CAN GO TO HELL

Hey guys, can rape jokes be funny?

No, never. Ever, in any context at all period and fucking shame on all of you who even tried to defend this bullshit just to appear "rational" and not be the fun killer. You're all adults and should know better. Shame on the fucking mods too for being in on this. Shame on ALL of you

But okay sure, let's entertain the notion that rape could be funny. Which part of it do you find funny? The part where the victim is in fear for their life? The part where they're scarred forever? The part where they have to live in shame because no one will take them seriously so they just keep it to themselves? Or is it the actual act of the rape, where the victim is dehumanized and degraded for someone else's pleasure?

Please DO tell me why you think rape is SO funny.

And to think, at one time when I was sexually assaulted, THESE were the forums I came to to share my experience and get support. What a shitty community with shitty standards.

The act of rape is never funny, none of the things listed are funny, obviously.

Rape is not funny, however, I do believe it can be used in context. For example in The Office, when David Brent says 'There's been a rape up there', the joke is not in the rape, the joke is not a 'ha ha funny' kind of thing, the joke is in how much of a despicable bastard David Brent is, so the joke is agreeing that rape is horrible. It's cringe comedy. This is pretty much the only context I can think of where it would work. It's not really a 'rape joke' though, whatever that is.

Edit:

I have a very good reason to be upset right now. I'm just going to leave for a day or whatever.

It's personal and it does not involve the edited post. Have fun.

(I will say that it involves someone-very-close-to-me's health and not this bullshit)

Right. New topic.

This person sent me a friend request, despite their profile being nothing other than that picture.

Should I accept?

Haha, an ex coworker of mine gets tons of friend requests from those types of accounts and he accepts ALL OF THEM.

I just... feel embarrassed FOR him.

"I have all of this work that students have submitted. Should I be grading these?" --An adjunct

A serious question asked by a real adjunct. Once again highlighting the inescapable truth that professors are just students, but older.

God damn I can't stand pandora anymore. No other internet radios can be adjusted quite as well to playing only music I like, but they seriously play either an audio ad or a video add after EVERY. F****ING. SONG. It used to be an occasional thing, but it's getting ridiculous now. It's worse than listening to the ACTUAL radio.

Hey guys, can rape jokes be funny?

No, never. Ever, in any context at all period and fucking shame on all of you who even tried to defend this bullshit just to appear "rational" and not be the fun killer. You're all adults and should know better. Shame on the fucking mods too for being in on this. Shame on ALL of you

But okay sure, let's entertain the notion that rape could be funny. Which part of it do you find funny? The part where the victim is in fear for their life? The part where they're scarred forever? The part where they have to live in shame because no one will take them seriously so they just keep it to themselves? Or is it the actual act of the rape, where the victim is dehumanized and degraded for someone else's pleasure?

Please DO tell me why you think rape is SO funny.

And to think, at one time when I was sexually assaulted, THESE were the forums I came to to share my experience and get support. What a shitty community with shitty standards.

I'm sorry if this brought back memories I know what it's like to be trapped by the past all the time.

7XVyVqhPnjk

There's a video game coming out based on the Jonestown massacre. So in 40 odd years will we get 9/11 games?

Didn't some nutjob also make an indie game about the Columbine High School Massacre? I thought I remembered something about that.

7XVyVqhPnjk

There's a video game coming out based on the Jonestown massacre. So in 40 odd years will we get 9/11 games?

Didn't some nutjob also make an indie game about the Columbine High School Massacre? I thought I remembered something about that.

Yh I remember it was a tasteless indi RPG.

7XVyVqhPnjk

These guys in Germany did a John F. Kennedy assassination simulator.

Edit: Damn it, could somebody please fix this?

Still okay with this.

I feel kinda bad that the Kevin Smith fig campaign seems to have ground to a halt already. And only a 400k ask.

Then again, I don't feel super enthusiastic about it either, despite liking Kevin Smith well enough.

I wanted to like this. I really did. But...

It seems to me that you've always wanted to like it but have always expected it to be bad, and all new information that comes out just confirms your expectation that it will be bad. So that's not really a big surprise. *shrug*

It seems to me that you've always wanted to like it but have always expected it to be bad, and all new information that comes out just confirms your expectation that it will be bad. So that's not really a big surprise. *shrug*

Same thing happend to me with BVS

7XVyVqhPnjk

These guys in Germany did a John F. Kennedy assassination simulator.

3i2l98oCvmI

Same thing happend to me with BVS

You haven't seen Batman V Superman. And I have yet to see Ghostbusters. Here's hoping we're both surprised.

Moviebob managed to sum up my thoughts on the trailer better than I could:

So. GHOSTBUSTERS. Looks... not good. Great cast, not against the premise, but trailer screams low-rent 00s comedy. Feig not up to this job.