Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

Moviebob managed to sum up my thoughts on the trailer better than I could:
So. GHOSTBUSTERS. Looks... not good. Great cast, not against the premise, but trailer screams low-rent 00s comedy. Feig not up to this job.

The only things about the trailer that isn't more or less on par with the original:

--Not enough emphasis on actual spookiness. The original was an elegant mixture of genuine comedy with genuine spookiness. Trailer pushes the comedy angle almost exclusively and doesn't seem to take the ghosts element seriously. It should be at least a little actually spooky. It's not "Scary Movie" we're making here.

--Too much emphasis on physical / visual / "zany" comedy, which many people feel is the lowest form of comedy. In order to have the same chops as the original, it needs funny/witty DIALOGUE.

The original 1984 ghostbusters trailer shows off both of the above qualities, whereas the 2016 ghostbusters is either missing these things or is not as strong with them.

But at the same time, it also hits a lot of the CORRECT notes.

--Emphasis on geeks

--In boy band fashion, ported over the idea of the team being made up of the bookish one, the science one, the cocky smarta** one that doesn't take any of it seriously, and the street smart one (who is, once again, the black one).

--The scene with the female ghost is somewhat similar to the ghostbuster's first interaction with the library ghost, whose power they underestimate based on her appearance. (But, again, OG GB put more emphasis on actual horror/terror here whereas new GB made it too slapstick.)

--I was annoyed by CH at first, but now I get the feeling that they may be using him as the male Sigourney Weaver, which would be clever actually.

I have thought Feig was a REALLY weird choice for this all along, but I still can't say that I'm worried, or upset, or angry, or disappointed, or whatever. Sometimes a new twist on an old thing can be fun for what it is, if you are willing to let it be that.

Do I think it will measure up to the original? No way. I never for a moment expected it could, no matter who was doing it. That is too tall an order. Too many legends that are too impossible to replace. But could it be a fun homage to the original? Sure. I'm still down to watch it.

Watching the Ghostbusters trailer sadly reminded me of the trailers for Pixels and Fantastic 4. Do not be surprised if this film is nominated for a few Razzies next year.

Watching the Ghostbusters trailer sadly reminded me of the trailers for Pixels and Fantastic 4. Do not be surprised if this film is nominated for a few Razzies next year.

Don't be surprised if YOUR BUTT is nominated for a few razzies next year.

It won't be as nominated as much as your mom! OOOOOHHHHH!

Yeah, she hasn't really been performing at her best ever since she died.

Yeah, she hasn't really been performing at her best ever since she died.

And now I feel ashamed of myself for not knowing that before I made that comment.

The trailer looked about the same tier as Spy.

Spy had a godawful trailer and looked like a stupid zany comedy where the main joke was Melissa McCarthy falling down... and then ended up being a pretty serviceable action film where in context the comedy was actually very tasteful and well done. Feig just completely left out most of the plot elements from the trailer.

I expect Ghostbusters will be similar.

Thing about the original is that a lot of the comedy came from the sheer wit of the cast and was just a bunch of friends working together. That, and Bill Murray's unmatchable improv skills.

Guys, guys guys...

I'm sure none of you intended to cause offense to anyone but come on people, of all the topics you could discuss....

The question of whether you think rape jokes can ever be funny or acceptable is irrelevant, because even discussing it is unacceptable here on these boards, and you should know that. We consider rape jokes, no matter how funny you think they may be, to be a form of sexual harassment and we will not allow that sort of behaviour.

People should be able to feel like these forums are a safe place to be no matter what age, height, gender, race, or religion they are, or what their political beliefs may be.

If you wish to discuss topics such as religion*, gamergate, or sexual assault, please find another venue to do so. Politics is another sensitive subject which I will trust you to be mature enough to discuss for now, but please do so with care, and listen to people if they say you are offending them.

This random thread is in danger of being closed down for good if this sort of thing continues, so PLEASE be more conscientious when deciding on topics to discuss.If you think it might offend someone then don't post it. Ok? Just use your noggin'

Right!! Now please continue posting weird nonsense, which is what this thread is for in the first place.

(*By the way, by lumping in religion with gamergate and sexual assault, i don't mean to paint it as a bad thing, merely that it is a topic so likely to cause arguments or offense that it's better off not being talked about at all on a forum like this.)

Spy had a godawful trailer and looked like a stupid zany comedy where the main joke was Melissa McCarthy falling down... and then ended up being a pretty serviceable action film where in context the comedy was actually very tasteful and well done. Feig just completely left out most of the plot elements from the trailer.

AND ANOTHER THING! Nothing anybody could do would equal the Ghostbusters video game. That was the true Ghostbusters III.

AND ANOTHER THING! Nothing anybody could do would equal the Ghostbusters video game. That was the true Ghostbusters III.

There's a Ghostbusters II?

C'mon. It wasn't that bad.

C'mon. It wasn't that bad.

This post offends me

MODS WHERE ART THOU??

I seems like people aren't taking Spaff's warning about this thread being shut down very seriously. The ice is thin, people. Don't test it.

What me? I was just posting pictures but then saying I don't feel that way now. I did't mean anything specificity.

Oh and that quote was fromm rifftrax paraphrasing Alec Baldwin giving a speech from Glengarry Glen Ross given to doll makers.

I thought an out of context joke only I'd get would get back on track of random.

Ohh I thought the ($*£(£ thing would have gotten them all.

I seems like people aren't taking Spaff's warning about this thread being shut down very seriously. The ice is thin, people. Don't test it.

What me?

It was mostly a general reminder for everybody.

I'd strongly suggest that people posting in this thread make sure they're familiar with both Spaff's post and the forum rules.

In the interests of being random, here's an origami orca

Origami_Orca2012-04-08_thumb.png

What me?

It was mostly a general reminder for everybody.

I'd strongly suggest that people posting in this thread make sure they're familiar with both Spaff's post and the forum rules.

In the interests of being random, here's an origami orca

Origami_Orca2012-04-08_thumb.png

https://49.media.tumblr.com/cb3a481716467a7e0bea453286381631/tumblr_n2ag9s7P4M1sx3kblo1_500.gif

I can't believe EGR is on the verge of possibly shutting down for good especially since I consider EGR to be the heart of DFAF. I'll make sure that I along others will be on our best behavior.