Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

Well when she came out and said that Dumbledore was gay that was my thought. But she never actually went into that in the books so it doesn't really count. I mean seriously I would have been fine with it being made clear that Dumbledore and Grindelwald were lovers in the book. It would have made that whole relationship all the more emotional. But she didn't write it that way. Why is anyone's guess. I think it's a shame she didn't though.

not every gay person has to be labeled as a gay person

No and I was fine with Dumbledore not having a stated sexual orientation. But since it was an important enough detail to her that she brought it up I think it's valid to question why if it was so important didn't she put it into the book?

Something as controversial as that, put into the book? She lost enough fans stating it outside the series, think what a canon admission would do. Besides, how would you put it in? That would just be awkward.

Y'know, I never read any of the Harry Potter books, but alot of people talk to me about it anyway and I'm pretty familiar with it by now, and I kind of agree with them when they say the whole "Dumbledore is gay" seemed kind of like a random fact that was thrown in. Borderline fanservice-ey

But I guess that's because there was no backstory or anything to it

Something as controversial as that, put into the book? She lost enough fans stating it outside the series, think what a canon admission would do. Besides, how would you put it in? That would just be awkward.

Writing isn't about self-censorship! If a writer feels compelled to make a character gay they have two choices. They keep that fact under their belts, let it inform the character but if their sexual orientation isn't salient to the story then don't bring it up. Or acknowledge the fact in the book either because it's important to the plot or adds substance to it in some way. Screw the people who take offense to that or anything else you write, you didn't write that for them, the only audience a writer should care about is the one that loves what they've written.

And I don't want people to think I have it out for Rowling. She's one of my favorite authors and I admire her craftsmanship, but he fact that she waited until after the series was done to come out with that "fact" is telling if you ask me. And I also think that Dumbledore's romance with Grindelwald would have given that portion of the lore more weight. Just make it clear that they were more then just friends to each other. No reason that has to be awkward to any open minded person.

I think she just said Dumbledore was gay to get attention.

That would make sense if she wasn't already one of the most famous authors of this century. She's one of those few writers people see on the street and recognize. The Dumbledore is gay thing came up in an hour long documentary special on her. I'm pretty sure she's got all the attention any person could want.

I'm really curious about what she's working on now. People are always asking her if there will be a new Potter and I always want to smack them because I think Harry's good as is. I want to know what she's cooking up next. I don't expect it to be as epic as HP but anything new from JK would be awesome.

It makes sense because she had just gotten done with her final novel in what will probably be the only famous series she writes, and was obviously about to get a lot less attention from the press as a result.

It makes sense because she had just gotten done with her final novel in what will probably be the only famous series she writes, and was obviously about to get a lot less attention from the press as a result.

Which for most authors (Read: normal people) would be a relief. Joan isn't a glory hound. If she was she'd be teasing her next book to everyone right now. Making a big deal about it, cranking the hype. She's just a woman who had a great idea that captured the imaginations of millions of people, and she was lucky enough to profit from that.

Really? Cause pumpkin pie is my favorite kind of pie and pumpkin pie ice cream is my second favorite type of ice cream.

No, Watermelon is amazing, strawberries are pretty fantastic too though, so are grapes, But Nectarines are the bomb.

No, Watermelon is amazing, strawberries are pretty fantastic too though, so are grapes, But Nectarines are the bomb

This, nectarines are my favorite fruit. Also, I like watermelon, but if i taste candy watermelon I will kill someone.