Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

Test your vocabulary!

It calculates how many English words you know, on average. Mine is about 23,200 words :V

Er... 37,200 words.

That would mean:

thiscantberight.png

That doesn't seem right...?

I was raised on audiobooks, and developed the ability to read two books at once. I can't anymore, but up until I was about 14 I would regularly turn on an audiobook and read a book on paper at the same time. I never realized how great it was until I stopped being able to do it. 8(

I think most of it comes from my parents, who never talked down to me as a kid. They also let me read anything I wanted (barring erotic literature, ofc), as long as I agreed to ask for help when I needed it.

Basically, they never said "oh no sweetie, you can't read that, it's for grown-ups." If I wanted to read Don Quixote, I was damn well allowed to read Don Quixote, even if I needed help understanding it.

I notice I lowballed myself in my original post. I actually got 26,100. But wrote 23,100 by mistake. I retook the test though, this time putting a little more thought into each word I recognized and got back 27,300. Not bad. Still obvious I need to extend my range. At the very least I should know the definitions of the words I recognized.

I got 14 thousand. Until last year I thought I was really good at English but then I read Heart of Darkness and that put me in my place. It wasn't difficult to read overall but the beginning was a bit tricky and it made me realize that there is still a lot for me to learn.

I got 22,800. Which is about... average... for my age? Huh, I'm stupider than I thought I was.

Dude, "average" does not mean stupid. "average" in terms of intelligence means "You're doing great."

There's this thing people have about hating being normal.

Ask 100 people if they think they're above average and 80 of them will say yes.

Usually when I'm told that I'm average in something, deep down, a part of me says "You're not special. You're just another typical human being. But it's still okay to be ordinary, right? Right??"

This creates undesired feelings and conflict that persists for several minutes. Then I start comparing myself to other people. Then I start feeling worse. That's why to me, average is bad.

I'm below average in most things, so being told that I'm average is like getting a pat on the back, like "You're doing okay! Nice job!"

I'm below average in most things as well, so when I find out I'm really just average at something that I was previously confident about, I feel less compensated for being bad at everything else.

I was raised on audiobooks, and developed the ability to read two books at once. I can't anymore, but up until I was about 14 I would regularly turn on an audiobook and read a book on paper at the same time. I never realized how great it was until I stopped being able to do it. 8(

I think most of it comes from my parents, who never talked down to me as a kid. They also let me read anything I wanted (barring erotic literature, ofc), as long as I agreed to ask for help when I needed it.

Basically, they never said "oh no sweetie, you can't read that, it's for grown-ups." If I wanted to read Don Quixote, I was damn well allowed to read Don Quixote, even if I needed help understanding it.

If I was your parent, I would have had you read Don Quixote in the original Spanish. Now that's a challenge.

Test your vocabulary!

It calculates how many English words you know, on average. Mine is about 23,200 words :V

Er... 37,200 words.

That would mean:

thiscantberight.png

That doesn't seem right...?

Mine is 33,400, apparently. Which is in the range I was expecting based on past experience.

Guess I'm above average then, for a foreign speaker

o_O My neighbour in the apartment above is making funny howling sounds

Fortunately I work at night, so I don't hear him most of the time

on top of that, a creepy laugh

Cuttin' the heels off a pair of stilllllettoooooooos~

it's seriously harder than you'd think. first there's the plasticky/rubbery sole which you have to get off, then a layer of superhard plastic which you have to cut off at the base (I.E. the widest point) and then a metal rod in the center. The thinner the heels, the harder they are to get off 8/

Okay I know this is the random thread. But I have to know, why are you doing this?
Why am I doing what?

Please be more specific the next time you try to hurt someone.

Okay I know this is the random thread. But I have to know, why are you doing this?
Why am I doing what?

Please be more specific the next time you try to hurt someone.

JlZpd.jpg

Whoa there. Who am I trying to hurt, and why would I do that On Purpose? Because I am a horrible person? I don't believe this to be the case.

I was simply curious why you are cutting the heels of stilettos thus rendering them no longer heels. It's a perfectly valid question considering how you sprung the subject on us.

Sorry, I thought you were trying to be nasty again. I apologize.

I'm just working on my Long Fall Boots.

I know I should leave it alone. But this kind of talk concerns me.

Well maybe you should stop stealing avatars and passing out insults like candy bars on Halloween.

I know I should leave it alone. But this kind of talk concerns me.

Well maybe you should stop stealing avatars and passing out insults like candy bars on Halloween.

I guess so. I've been trying to be nicer. I didn't know anybody cared about the avatar. I'll take it down.

Noo! My iPods screen broke, I heard apple gives a 1 year warranty on it but im not sure :(

*uses internet*

Noo! My iPods screen broke, I heard apple gives a 1 year warranty on it but im not sure :(

*uses internet*

I wouldn't hold my breath. I broke mine last year and they did jack shit about it. Look into a local repair shop to do the job. It's a pretty common problem and a lot of enterprising tinkerers have taken advantage of it.