Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

Lol, Simpsons used to be so awesome. I keep hearing about illegal fireworks, is there no legal free-to-the-public fireworks in the US?

Capitalist Country, we don't give away anything we can sell.

Free as in not illegal.

ty2sg8r5b7.jpg

Oh yeah we have those, it depends on the state though. In Georgia, the state where I live, most fireworks are illegal, but one state up in Tennessee you can get all kinds of the dangerous things. It's a common practice for pyromaniacs to go up to Tennessee to buy the good stuff and smuggle it across the state line.

This is about as exciting as things get (legally) around here: sparkler.gif

And today also has International significance as CERN announced that they've discovered the Higgs Boson today.

These are nice, i actually used to make these, but with various colors actually. Well dangerous really depends on what you make of it. I remember over at the Worth1000 forums there was a guy who unpacked a shitload of bag snaps (pictured below), and he put them all in a bowl and gave it to his daughter. Well, they are packed in sawdust for security reasons, and never in big quantities. Needless to say: Friction led to a rather big bang, leaving the poor girl with a scorching reminder of her parents stupidity. The way they are sold they are actually quite save, so save that they are sold to children of all ages the whole year round, but i never heard of another case of someone being that irresponsible, but with explosives safety decreases rapidly the more you have in any one room at any given time, among many other factors. It all depends. I have to say though: I'm all for legal fireworks, since this also usually means rules and regulations which adds a lot to safety.

220px-Knallerbsen_20050913_696_part.jpg

And yes: Huzzah!

Well, now we are a little bit wiser again.

Lol, Simpsons used to be so awesome. I keep hearing about illegal fireworks, is there no legal free-to-the-public fireworks in the US?

Capitalist Country, we don't give away anything we can sell.

Free as in not illegal.

ty2sg8r5b7.jpg

I live close enough to the border of Pennsylvanian that we get a big firework catalog in the mail every year.

In NY you can light them off but not buy them. In PA you can sell them but they can't be used, sooo....

I've gotten to the point where the crowds involved in going to good fireworks displays outweighs the enjoyment that I get out of colorful explosions. I also don't particularly want to see the people that I went to highschool with that never moved on. Townies *shudders*.

Over here we go to the reservations to get our fireworks because they aren't really regulated. But they banned fireworks because its too dry to risk it.

Are you allowed to shoot them over lakes/bodies of water or anything?

The only bodies of water I know of are either heavily wooded and extremely small.

why are you here on a forum instead of out having a steak picnic and drinking beer and playing with footballs while wearing nothing but a flag or something

It's raining really fucking hard.

why are you here on a forum instead of out having a steak picnic and drinking beer and playing with footballs while wearing nothing but a flag or something

It's raining really fucking hard.

I live in Ohio and we have had very bad storms. My power has been out 4 times since Friday, at least 3 hours each time.

In Colorado; where I'm at, we have had nine fires, temps from the 90's to 100's degrees and they started ticketing anyone who has and or uses fireworks. But you could still buy them at firework tents here or go to Wyoming who have the good fireworks but have also band people form using them or that's what I have herd.

Good point that i didn't really see for some reason - it's in the middle of summer.

In other news - i've cut the last gear for my clock yesterday, but wasn't really able to mention with all the great news and the holiday.

scrl1-3.jpg

In NY you can light them off but not buy them. In PA you can sell them but they can't be used, sooo....

System's messed up, yo.

@xaromir:You're making a clock?

There used to be a time when you could search for things like "how to build a pipebomb" or "homemade napalm" without drawing unnecessary attention, and download the anarchists cookbook on every other homepage. I miss pre-9.11 times. :< Not that i ever blown anything up without permission, but it's interesting stuff. And yes it's a clock.

clock-1.jpg

This one:

I want one!

[del]What kind of tools do you need for this?[/del]

Edit: Nevermind looked up the guy's website.

Edit Edit: Okay I don't want to buy plans for something without knowing whether or not I can actually build it so to restate my previous question: What kind of tools do you need for this?

Have I ever mentioned how much contempt I have for chiropractors?

What did Chiropractors ever do to you?

Pretend to be doctors.

I want one! [...] What kind of tools do you need for this?

I just run through the whole thing and hope i provide the info you are looking for.

What you need depends strongly. For the main bits, like the gears you need something like a Scroll Saw. I have a Hegner but they are unaffordable when new, but in America you have the option of purchasing a DeWalt, which apparently is quite a good deal, and kind of a price/quality benchmark. You could also go with handtools like a Fretsaw or a Coping Saw, but while i personally enjoy working with those, i tend to cut at an angle, which can't be good, and it takes a ton of time, so i do have to recommend the Scroll. A Drill Press is highly advisable, simply so you don't drill the holes at an angle, but i don't have money for one of these because it's kind of a one job tool, which i dislike as a private person, so i got a regular Drill (the one in the link), which is more versatile. With it i bought a little Drill Stand, not the one in the link though, mine cost about 30Eur, and it got less favorable reviews, but i must have lucked out with mine as it works rather fine for what it cost so far. Some kind of a Disc Sander comes in handy, simply to get stuff perfectly round, but i prefer just taking a minute longer and cut more precise and use a sheet of sanding paper instead of spending so much money. What i do recommend is a Scratch Awl, these don't cost much, and you can punch a little hole in the wood here you have to drill, which makes it a lot easier to drill the hole where it should go, also mighty handy if you ever have to stitch leather. I also own a Mitre Box and a Gents Saw to cut dowels, these often come in sets for like 10Eur. Well, otherwise you need scissors, wood glue, paper glue stick, sanding paper, maybe scotch tape and a metric ass-ton of blades, and quite a few drills. I've heard you can also do it with a Bandsaw, but i have little to no expertise with those, i used one once to rough-cut the lids of my box, but that's all.

Well, it's a fun project, and if you have a Scrollsaw, or can get the DeWalt cheaply you may want to try it.

I am playing NES. Any game recommendations?

Battletoads, Contra, and Ghosts 'n Goblins. ...Oh, did you want some actually beatable games? Then I recommend Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, StarTropics, and Maniac Mansion (prequel to Day of the Tentacle!).