Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

J7E-aoXLZGY

God I love Stephen Fry so much.

People who blame slang for all the quirks and weirdness of English, stop it. Slang is just one of many tools people use to add and alter words and their meanings to a language. Language isn't a static thing. If it's healthy it changes and evolves and grows and gets weird and quirky. A dying language stays still and rigid, imposing the constant over the variable, the conservative over the progressive.

English is a funny language, we have irregular verbs and pluralizations, the way we structure sentences is highly elastic compared to other languages and often instead of inventing a new word for a concept we simply steal from other languages or bend and combine existing words to meet the need. We have redundancies like: cool, cold, chill, freeze, frost, icy all which have subtle nauces of difference but in a more contained language could all be expressed in a single word with proper verb and adjective forms. Which I think would be a great loss to both the romance of finding the right word and to clarity of intent.

And this is all what makes English such an awesome language. There's so much room to express yourself in individual ways. It's quirky and overly complex which makes mastering it an eccentric's delight and it's always growing and changing to fit our needs and desires of it.

Also stop acting like slang is something new. It isn't. It's always been around, it's just that it has only been called slang for the last 250 years or there abouts. Again slang is a key part of a healthy language.

EDIT:

Etemoloy of 'Tween:

"1250–1300; Middle English twene, aphetic variant of atwene... or betwene between"

I've seen it defined as both pre-teen and between teens and twenties. So both are correct.

J7E-aoXLZGY

God I love Stephen Fry so much.

People who blame slang for all the quirks and weirdness of English, stop it. Slang is just one of many tools people use to add and alter words and their meanings to a language. Language isn't a static thing. If it's healthy it changes and evolves and grows and gets weird and quirky. A dying language stays still and rigid, imposing the constant over the variable, the conservative over the progressive.

English is a funny language, we have irregular verbs and pluralizations, the way we structure sentences is highly elastic compared to other languages and often instead of inventing a new word for a concept we simply steal from other languages or bend and combine existing words to meet the need. We have redundancies like: cool, cold, chill, freeze, frost, icy all which have subtle nauces of difference but in a more contained language could all be expressed in a single word with proper verb and adjective forms. Which I think would be a great loss to both the romance of finding the right word and to clarity of intent.

And this is all what makes English such an awesome language. There's so much room to express yourself in individual ways. It's quirky and overly complex which makes mastering it an eccentric's delight and it's always growing and changing to fit our needs and desires of it.

Also stop acting like slang is something new. It isn't. It's always been around, it's just that it has only been called slang for the last 250 years or there abouts. Again slang is a key part of a healthy language.

EDIT:

Etemoloy of 'Tween:

"1250–1300; Middle English twene, aphetic variant of atwene... or betwene between"

I've seen it defined as both pre-teen and between teens and twenties. So both are correct.

I'm very sorry, Scarecrow. I should probably research this stuff more before I make a post. *headdesks in shame*

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidNotDoTheResearch

Your apology is not necessary, your shame is misplaced. I was simply sharing what little I know in the hopes that people would stop looking at one of my favorite things as needlessly confusing and see it for the wondrous thing it is.

v3rhQc666Sg

I'm very sorry, Scarecrow. I should probably research this stuff more before I make a post. *headdesks in shame*

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidNotDoTheResearch

Your apology is not necessary, your shame is misplaced. I was simply sharing what little I know in the hopes that people would stop looking at one of my favorite things as needlessly confusing and see it for the wondrous thing it is.

v3rhQc666Sg

Well it certainly confused me, though i'm not half-educated, i'm almost not educated at all.

Oh and yes, Stephen Fry is amazing. You should check out his documentary on Bi-Polarity and the Last Chance to see series was really nice. I love his humor.

Well it certainly confused me, though i'm not half-educated, i'm almost not educated at all.

Oh and yes, Stephen Fry is amazing. You should check out his documentary on Bi-Polarity and the Last Chance to see series was really nice. I love his humor.

The other thing that contributes to language changing is distance. American English and Queen's English have many differences in meanings of words, slang, grammar and spelling. I imagine that English in other countries and parts of the world differ as well. Of course with the world shrinking more and more as technology allows us to connect anywhere in the world in an instant, distance stops being a factor, though once we start settling on other worlds it'll come back into play.

The majority of what I know of English is self-taught from reading fiction or "how to write" books and other things of interest (a lot of it related to English). Formal Education actually teaches a lot of bad habits and attitudes about English. Enforcing strict rhetoric to standardize the language so people are easy to grade. While having rules on how things should work is important to effective communication between people Language Arts teachers often get so focused on this that they beat the originality out of any student that gets a little weird with their grammar.

Socrates said: "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."

We come into this world ignorant, and we learn something new everyday. It's only by assuming we have nothing to learn that we damn ourselves. Everyday is an education if you're open to learning.

I worry that sounded patronizing. If it did I'm sorry. I get a little bit high-brow and soap boxy about learning.

The other thing that contributes to language changing is distance. American English and Queen's English have many differences in meanings of words, slang, grammar and spelling. I imagine that English in other countries and parts of the world differ as well. Of course with the world shrinking more and more as technology allows us to connect anywhere in the world in an instant, distance stops being a factor, though once we start settling on other worlds it'll come back into play.

The majority of what I know of English is self-taught from reading fiction or "how to write" books and other things of interest (a lot of it related to English). Formal Education actually teaches a lot of bad habits and attitudes about English. Enforcing strict rhetoric to standardize the language so people are easy to grade. While having rules on how things should work is important to effective communication between people Language Arts teachers often get so focused on this that they beat the originality out of any student that gets a little weird with their grammar.

Socrates said: "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."

We come into this world ignorant, and we learn something new everyday. It's only by assuming we have nothing to learn that we damn ourselves. Everyday is an education if you're open to learning.

I worry that sounded patronizing. If it did I'm sorry. I get a little bit high-brow and soap boxy about learning.

We are never as receptive than we where as children, though we haven't been aware of it. Dumb and empty maybe but i don't think ignorant. Oh and don't worry about sounding preachy, people here tend to point such things out if that would be the case, and so far i don't think so.

On a more gaming related note:

I've just beaten Mother in the Binding of Isaac for the first time and i didn't get the achievement! Damn.

We are never as receptive than we where as children, though we haven't been aware of it. Dumb and empty maybe but i don't think ignorant. Oh and don't worry about sounding preachy, people here tend to point such things out if that would be the case, and so far i don't think so.

On a more gaming related note:

I've just beaten Mother in the Binding of Isaac for the first time and i didn't get the achievement! Damn.

Holy crap the Cat Woman cosplayer's spine was drawn by Rob Liefield!

See that is funny and comic fans would actually enjoy that.

This guy's humor is really... Tired. I mean you got the old as crap geek/nerd potshots combined with the vaguely offensive Jewish stereotype. Plus he's heckling these poor people who have come to a Con to be around people who aren't gonna to judge them and he's giving them crap and touching them inappropriately. I didn't find anything he was doing the least bit funny.

MediocreFilms huh? His channel is aptly named.

Holy crap the Cat Woman cosplayer's spine was drawn by Rob Liefield!

See that is funny and comic fans would actually enjoy that.

This guy's humor is really... Tired. I mean you got the old as crap geek/nerd potshots combined with the vaguely offensive Jewish stereotype. Plus he's heckling these poor people who have come to a Con to be around people who aren't gonna to judge them and he's giving them crap and touching them inappropriately. I didn't find anything he was doing the least bit funny.

MediocreFilms huh? His channel is aptly named.

Check it out! New avater ftw. <3

In case people can't see it - again, here it is:

side_bar_badge-ava.jpg