Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Miss_Mayhem

Everybody get random!

I know, though i find they could do better things with their money, like advocating the use of condoms, as human reproduction turn out to be one of the sources for some of the world's (and humanity's) biggest issues, seeing that they have 3 children themselves and neither of them seems to be from adoption, doesn't fill me with much hope in that case though. Am i the only one that thinks that reproduction should be strongly regulated, and adoption should be simplified and made mandatory to be at least be considered by couples with child wish? People call me crazy but i don't think that there will be a future if we don't manage to regulate our own reproduction from a personal level to a global scale. The modern condom is one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century, they can help us to stay healthy, protect our life and control our population in a almost non restricting manner, for just a couple of cents! Why do people hate it so much?

Well, i appreciate their concern and willingness to take action and invest their money, and give something back to humanity, it's sending very positive signals. I also really like how they try to keep their kids grounded.

Edit:

DAAAMN! Totally forgot why i wanted to post in the first place!

The truth is that this is the first post of the Valve Linux blog. This blog is where you can find the latest information from Valve about our Linux development efforts.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/

Thats a very interesting point of view, but I don't think that's necessary, maybe until recourses like food, water etc.. Start to fall short then maybe it would be a good idea to regulate.

Also on a non related topic it's 5:30 AM and I'm not sure if I should just try to sleep now or just try and stay up until 10PM so that I can get my sleeping schedule back on track. Besides I have plenty of distractions *cough*TF2*cough*

If we pass out birth control like candy and don't pressure people to have children who don't want them it should help overpopulation, but this is a complex, nuanced discussion for another time. Like when I'm not half asleep and have my pile-o-citations n' studies with me. -_-;

Thats a very interesting point of view, but I don't think that's necessary, maybe until recourses like food, water etc.. Start to fall short then maybe it would be a good idea to regulate.

Which is now. We do not notice that here in Europe and most of the Americas, but food and CLEAN water is an issue, and it has been an issue for a long time now. It's not so much that people starve, but how we change the planet in the search of more. Anyone should know how monotone agriculture is damaging to the land, and how forests are burned down to make way for grass, so we can populate for example cows, we also have huge issues with dead zones and jellyfish overpopulation at the moment and on a bigger scale the general destruction of the oceans ecosystems, which we still do not fully understand, actually the sea is still a great mystery to us because there just isn't enough research going on, but yet we expect it all to be abundant and infinite. Right now we have (or almost everyone could have if we rich people weren't such slobs) enough food and water, but what we do today to achieve this is damaging the fundamental resources we need for the upkeep, and it isn't going to become better with more and more demand. That just as a really quick reminder that we indeed do have an issue right now.

Well, here it's 16:00, aka 4PM.

Wait, so distributing vaccines, which would save millions of lives and prevent millions more from being permanently disabled each year, and preventing women from having unplanned pregnancies which can potentially kill them and stretch already limited resources to the breaking point aren't good uses of money? Because we have literally thousands of charities distributing food and water to these places, but there was literally no one distributing vaccines to some third world countries and loads of people actively trying to stop charities from giving impoverished people have access to reproductive health services.

That is a very nice wallpaper you have there. It would be a shame if something were to happen to it.

*SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.....*

...the only thing that bothers me are the stupid paper things he is holding. Why didn't they draw real knifes D:

That is a very nice wallpaper you have there. It would be a shame if something were to happen to it.

*SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.....*

*finely honed instincts kick in* SHIIIIIT CREEPER! *runs in the other direction as fast as possible before I am exploded.*

Also more people should adopt and I intend to. That is all I have to say about population right now.

If I decide I really like kids and want more than 2, I will adopt. Mostly because after 2 kids I will not have ovaries anymore, but still.

I'm not sure I'm going to breed or not. I mean part of me wants to pass on my genes but another part of me recognizes the pointlessness of blood relations in this day and age and the need for adoptive parents to give kids a family. If I had kids that would mean fewer children I could give a home too... I guess it's something to think about when and if I ever find some to settle down with.

...Before this turns into a warzone Look at my wallpaper :D

Careful when you're looking away. He never was on your side.

EDIT:

The modern condom is one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century, they can help us to stay healthy, protect our life and control our population in a almost non restricting manner, for just a couple of cents!

You know, out of context, this may be the greatest sales pitch ever.

The modern condom is one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century, they can help us to stay healthy, protect our life and control our population in a almost non restricting manner, for just a couple of cents!

You know, out of context, this may be the greatest sales pitch ever.

Hormonal birth control prevents cancer and a variety of other medical conditions. ;^)

To set things (hopefully) straight: Just because i believe other things have a higher importance does _NOT_ mean other things are unimportant. Every amount of money spend on the improvement of another less fortunate being's life is money well spend!

I'm also very aware that the pill is a good invention, and that it can help control otherwise dangerous conditions AND it's more effective in birth control, but i believe that especially in poor countries cost efficiency and purpose is key, and while not everyone is affected by said conditions everyone is potentially threatened by STDs, another point i often argue about is practicality - people need to be shown how to use condoms, and if we all think back a little - it's a bit confusing for the 1st time used, the pill is pretty self explanatory, but if you miss a day your protection just gone haywire, a condom is very direct, and it still prevents STDs. I do think condoms are wonderful invention, but yes the pill isn't bad either - but mainly a thing for relationships and treating aforementioned conditions.

The churche's takes on that is not to have sex - which i indeed effective, though i do believe that abstinence for enhanced periods of time is not in the human nature. (Just because people always bring that one up)

I'm not certain how to put this tactfully, but it's unwise to depend on one form of birth control. Hers n' His, you know?

And condoms are useless if women can't get their partners to use them.

I think if population regulations come into effect (And they probably should) it would be in the form of cap of the number of biological children a family was allowed to have rather then an elitist selection process that would probably boil down to a Eugenics project, nobody wants that. Well nobody who with an understanding of the necessity of genetic variety to a species survival does.

I think if we time population laws to regulate birth rate with current population estimates for the next 90 years we'd actually see a decrease in the world population around 2060-70. If you look at the Probabilistic Population Proj. on the UN World Population Prospects page (Say that three times fast) flipping between the age groups under 65 and over 65 shows that surprisingly there will be more elderly people in the US (I didn't have time to create a median of all 197 countries) then there will be people who aren't considered elderly. This will be a first in the history of our species. Brought on due to improved life expectancy and the fact that people born in this current population boom will be reaching that age at that time.

So what we're looking at is a chance to not only slow the rise of population but to actually lower it. If we can get our acts together in the next 40 years which... I doubt it.

Something i feel like mentioning: I think many people have a crooked relationship to adoption. People need to get into their heads that even though they are not biological, they are still legitimately their children and your heir and successor. Adopted children did inherit whole empires in history.

I'm not certain how to put this tactfully, but it's unwise to depend on one form of birth control. Hers n' His, you know?

And condoms are useless if women can't get their partners to use them.

11PM now but i try my best.

I get the feeling you misunderstand me on purpose, for what reason i can not comprehend. You may be so fortunate to have the choice to use one or the other - or both, or even more than that, but other people don't and may even rely on other people's good will to provide birth control for them. Well here are some numbers: One pill costs about 23c, that's the lowest i found, and other sources said it starts at almost twice that price, a condom costs about 10c, these are bulk but store prices, not factory outlet prices. So a condom costs half as much as a pill, which is a lot if you scale it up to maybe 100k units, or consider that people just may live on almost no money at all. You must also consider that the average person has sex around 100 times a year, which will then cost 10eur per year but they need to take the pill every day to stay save which will cost around 80eur per year.

You choose what ever you want to choose because you belong to the group of people that are fortunate enough to have the money to do that, and as long you use some sort of protection i don't have any objection and no wish to argue, but for many people and especially for people and organizations that seek to provide protection for others, the condom is #1 because it's cheap and functional.

On a personal note about the "getting your partner to use it" issue, just my opinion: If it's a long term partner, then i can almost guarantee you that it will not work out if you do not bend easily to other people's will, because this person is obviously not willing to sacrifice small comforts for his/her partner, an allergy is no excuse because there are other materials. If it's a random person then you better leave if you can, sex without a condom with a partner you are not familiar with is simply dangerous.

On a personal note about the "getting your partner to use it" issue, just my opinion: If it's a long term partner, then i can almost guarantee you that it will not work out if you do not bend easily to other people's will, because this person is obviously not willing to sacrifice small comforts for his/her partner, an allergy is no excuse because there are other materials. If it's a random person then you better leave if you can, sex without a condom with a partner you are not familiar with is simply dangerous.

Xaromir, the reason hormonal birth control is so important is because it's fucking stupid to depend on the other person for protection, especially in regions where rape is endemic and a large number of men flat out refuse to use them.

Xaromir, the reason hormonal birth control is so important is because it's fucking stupid to depend on the other person for protection, especially in regions where rape is endemic and a large number of men flat out refuse to use them.

How do you drag all these things into that? It's bizarre! Well, charity could try and hand out pills in rape-prone areas. What now? How does that add to the discussion? I still don't get what your hate against the condom is, or why it's worse than nothing? That's the vibe you are giving me. You constantly hit me with this stream of negativity and to be honest it's exhausting and draining to talk to you, not mentally, but emotionally.

Back to the original point: I think what the gates family does is great though i would personally prefer different causes, as it may have a stronger impact on a bigger scale.