Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dreweyes

Shay Helmet Voice Glitch?

When Shay puts the kid space helmet on, the audio changes from tiny head voice to normal head voice.

Was this intentional or no? Seems like it would make more sense to have the voice still be high pitched, maybe even a tad muffled inside of the helmet. :) Would also be pretty cool to see some breath on the glass of the helmet to match his breathing (just a small idea that might put even more life into his character!)

This section also had a strange mix between normal head & tiny head Shay voice while he had his tiny head.

3.png

3.png.2d13f586bc0db4b356ca0fa3310fbd8b.p

No tiny head voice in the Kitchen with a tiny head... can a high pitch reverb of some sort be attached to Shay while he has a tiny head so normal conversations are automatically fixed? Cheers!

4.png

4.png.e1b9cda31553d8943b8e6bd4144f2ffe.p

I noticed this too.

Perhaps some kind of transition cough/grunt/noise could be put in? As if he were learning to compensate for the smaller head. Similar to how you can consciously avoid speaking nasally when you have a cold.

Otherwise, I'd imagine it is a pain to make sure every line sounds correctly pitched.

I'm going to quote what DF Bert had to say about this.

Hi. It's intentional that the high pitch voice only plays for the first few lines. Shay's voice returns to normal after that. Although it was fun to hear him speaking in a high pitch all the time, it became too grating to listen to for most players.

Oh, that makes sense. It still feels like a bug though.

Maybe have the voice change back gradually while he's talking? It's a bit abrupt now.

Yeah, I agree that it does feel like a bug. I was really enjoying hearing his tiny voice to match his tiny head and then as soon as he comes out of the radiation room his voice was very noticeably (and weirdly) back to normal with no explanation.

Also:

Although it was fun to hear him speaking in a high pitch all the time, it became too grating to listen to for most players.

Do these "most players" hate fun? I thought the high pitched voice was hilarious ;(

I noted the tiny head voice was all over the place too. In particular the one that I noticed was when I was going along the airlock corridor. Shay said a normal sentence, switched to tiny head voice, then switched back again. I didn't note the lines at the time unfortunately.

I feel sad to learn that the voice-pitch implementation was crippled intentionally.

This is why I'm not on a play testing team. If someone had told me the voice was "grating", I'd slap them, give them some helium balloons, and tell them not to come back until they'd experienced a childhood.

Some beta testers found it too grating and now some actual backers think that not only it's not, but that it's actually fun, and that having listened to those other players was a mistake because it resulted in a now apparent bug (it makes no sense that the high pitch just goes away).

Why is their oppinion "stronger" than ours?

Some beta testers found it too grating and now some actual backers think that not only it's not, but that it's actually fun, and that having listened to those other players was a mistake because it resulted in a now apparent bug (it makes no sense that the high pitch just goes away).

Why is their oppinion "stronger" than ours?

Of course the some backers never heard it any other way and it's hard to quantify what percentage of backers these some backers are so it makes some sense that the opinions of people who tested the game under controlled conditions carried more weight. That's not to say that those testers are always right and especially regarding game difficulty I have the impression that DF does listen to the backers but five guys on a forum thread, that's probably a good description for "vocal minority".

I'll add that it wasn't just some testers that felt this way. There are people on the team that wanted the voice to go back to normal even without playtest feedback.

Sign in to follow this