Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Muf

Windowed fullscreen (including an AHK trick to make do for now)

Windowed fullscreen is an option that is popping up more and more often in games. It's essentially a borderless window the size of the primary monitor. Giving you immersion and immediate Alt+Tabbability!

It would be great to have the game support this from the menu. The SDL runtime even detects when you set the window to a 0,0 positioned fullscreen-sized window, and automatically switches between windowed mode when tabbed out and true fullscreen while playing the game.

For other backers who would like to run the game in windowed fullscreen before it is officially supported in the game, I made this AutoHotKey script:

WinSet, Style, +0x20000,Broken Age ahk_class SDL_app

WinMove,Broken Age ahk_class SDL_app,, 0, 0, 1920, 1200

WinSet, Style,-0xC00000,Broken Age ahk_class SDL_app

WinSet, Style,-0x40000,Broken Age ahk_class SDL_app

Replace 1920, 1200 with the resolution of your main monitor. If your main monitor is not positioned at the top left of the monitor stack (the one you see in display properties), change the 0, 0, to the offset where your main monitor begins (for instance, if your main monitor is the right-hand monitor of two 720p screens, the coordinates would be 1280, 0).

Note that you should probably pause the game before you tab out. Sound will continue while tabbed out, and clicking back may inadvertently activate in-game functions as the game still responds to mouse clicks.

Actually the game will use windowed fullscreen mode if the selected resolution is equal or smaller than your desktop resolution... :-)

It doesn't do that for me. Alt+tabbing while in fullscreen minimises the game. Switching to windowed mode enables window decorations. There aren't really a lot of options outside of that.

As far as I know that is SDLs default behavior when Alt+Tabbing away from a fullscreen (or fullscreen window).

Would you want an actual window stretched over the desktop, so that you can overlay other applications?

Yeah, I just want windows to overlap on top of the game while it keeps running in the background. I tried it with my own SDL2-based game, and simply using SDL_CreateWindow at full screen window dimensions with SDL_WINDOW_BORDERLESS and SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED makes the magic happen. SDL takes care of the rest. :)

I think at least Starcraft 2 supports this, as well as some other games I've played. Can't really remember which ones.

Btw, I would like to commend you on the full screen handeling for this game.

I don't think I have seen many games that switch to proper full screen and back as fast as Broken Age does (at least on my machine) . Well done :)

I was seriously impressed :)

Sign in to follow this