Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GoodBytes

Easter Egg?!

Is the train conductor an easter egg of Ticket to Ride board game? :)

They look awfully similar.

ticket1.jpg

conductor.png

What do you guys think? :D

There's a reason for that, actually. Tim or Greg will have more details, but Days of Wonder (the publisher of Ticket to Ride) was one of our $50k backers. The $50k reward was to have your likeness used as a character in the game. Big ups to Days of Wonder!

Did anyone else catch the smelling salts from Psychonauts? I'm sure there are other eggs as well.

There's a reason for that, actually. Tim or Greg will have more details, but Days of Wonder (the publisher of Ticket to Ride) was one of our $50k backers. The $50k reward was to have your likeness used as a character in the game. Big ups to Days of Wonder!

That's awesome! I knew it was the Ticket to Ride guy as soon as I saw him.

There's also the ladder up to Harm'ny Lightbeard which is awfully similar to the ladder in the Meat Circus in Psychonauts if that counts.

Is the train conductor an easter egg of Ticket to Ride board game? :)

They look awfully similar.

ticket1.jpg

conductor.png

What do you guys think? :D

That is actually super brilliant, I didn't notice! Bad me!

Looks like you guys caught all the Easter eggs! (The one's that I'm aware of at least.)

Some stacking dolls definitely snuck into Vella's living room.

I insisted that Levi use the smelling salts from Psychonauts in that scene where you cut the air hose before solving the air puzzle.

Days of Wonder were one of our super backers and also super nice people who make really fun games. Small World is another DF favorite. Super backers get to be a character in the game, and since they were a big group of people, they all picked the Conductor character from Ticket to Ride to represent them.

There is one more super backer who got to be a character in the game. Anybody guess which one?

Alex!

Not a guess, as I read that somewhere...I think.

Replaying the game, and I just noticed you could faint from the snake if you didn't act after about a minute and get revived by Curtis. Nice touch.

Although I actually tried it a second time to see if it would get him more and more annoyed...but nope.

I really do like a lot of this game. Every frame is lovingly crafted.

I just wish there were more frames! :)

Was that tree talking about thick, luscious and incredibly useful fluids a Dr Strangelove reference?

There is one more super backer who got to be a character in the game. Anybody guess which one?

Man! Nobody else that I can think of sticks out quite as much as the train conductor. Hmm! Any clues?

Was it Alex

The Soilent Green cornflakes...

Speaking of that scene, the Cinnamoons box also had the iconic rocket in the moon's eye image from A Trip to the Moon.

Oh, and I was playing through again and caught Shay saying "A Whipped Cream gun! And It's MINE!" which is a very similar to "A whole bucket full o' mud and it's mine! ALL MINE!" from Monkey Island 2. Is this an intentional reference?

Was that tree talking about thick, luscious and incredibly useful fluids a Dr Strangelove reference?

I don't know this, but speaking of the tree, I think the description of what was done to the stool is a reference to Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's revenge, when LeChuck describes in detail how he'll make a stool out of Guybrush's bones.

Not on purpose at least, but there is a very direct (and by direct I mean completely obtuse) reference to that part of Strangelove in Full Throttle!

Oh, and I was playing through again and caught Shay saying "A Whipped Cream gun! And It's MINE!" which is a very similar to "A whole bucket full o' mud and it's mine! ALL MINE!" from Monkey Island 2. Is this an intentional reference?

Yeah, that was kind of a "call back" if you will. I'd hate to be caught referencing myself!

Alex!

You are correct!

Alex Rigopulos, founder of Harmonix, incredibly tall, generous, and handsome man that he is, was our other superbacker!

Here is a picture for your files:

alex_rigopulos.jpg

Not on purpose at least, but there is a very direct (and by direct I mean completely obtuse) reference to that part of Strangelove in Full Throttle!

Self-destruct code = "purity of essence."

Funny, I didn't think you could die in Lucasarts adventure games.

Speaking of inspirations, I wonder whether the dropping a letter from your name thing was inspired by and/or a jab at tumbl'r.

Sign in to follow this