Sign in to follow this  
adamyedlin

Thats it?

It took two years to make something I beat in just a couple hours? Seriously? What I played I LOVED, and I know there is going to be a second part, but if its the same length, I will be VERY disappointed. I am not knocking anything but the time it took me to beat it. The story was awesome, I loved the art, and the humor was great. Please... do your best to make this a longer game.

You can beat Monkey Island in about an hour if you know what you're doing.

And that isn't a exception, that's the norm for pretty much every adventure game I've ever played.

Length-wise, it seems fine for half the game, at worst it's maybe a bit too easy which makes it seem shorter than it is.

(he says while stuck on Vella's side of things).

Games always suffer from the whole "Length" idea in our heads. We plop down 5-60 bucks for a game and usually have expectations. Other interactive(ish) things, like films, books, etc often seem to be disassociated from length as a quality of measure -- but games since the dawn of time, have usually trumpeted length as measure of quality.

Could I get a better sense of where your disappointment originates from? Is it from a dollars to minutes misalignment? (i.e. I paid x for this, and thus it should contain at least 'y' amount of content).

Or is it simply that over the years, your expectations have built and built, and you feel that though it hit a lot of great marks, it missed length?

Expectations are also a tricky thing. Experiences, places, people, often rarely live up to our expectations (our minds are such hype machines). And though it is impossible to go through life without expectations, sometimes re-evaluating what factors led you to have those expectations allows us get a better sense of the world, and our place within it.

Smiles

Well i also tried to get the most out of it and clicked on everything and talked about everything and wanted to try everything but still i finished the whole thing in 3 Hours.. i can't say i'm dissapoineted or anything it was awsome and i enjoyed every minute of it :D but the puzzles weren't really headscratchers.. never got stuck.. sometimes solved puzzles i didn't even know i had to solve just cause i thought it would be a fun thing to do.

I was a little disapointed at the very first puzzle for the boy world. Cause i was really exited to play all those play scenes and try everything before i broke out but the first thing i did in the whole thing was just what i thought was too fun not to do and suddenly i was out of the loop and simluations were dissabled from mom... i was so sad... i was really looking forward to try them all and get bored with them even...

Again. loved every minute of the three hours :D was awsome thank you all for making such an awsome game double fine!

But meaby do a hard mode like in monkey 2 so i can get stuck and think about stuff more often :)

If this game came out for $15 and was the length this appears it will be, I'd be more than happy with what I had gotten, especially considering the quality of the content. And how much is the documentary worth? $5? Much more than that. There's nothing to complain about here.

But you've been following the game so closely for its full development, from its funding to its release, and yeah, it takes a long time to make video games, even the ones that aren't 40 hour epics. That's part of the reason why this opportunity was so interesting and unique, because it gives you some genuine insight into how hard it is to actually pull this stuff off. All that work, and this is what they have to show for it? Yep, for the budget and the size of the team, they're moving worlds to pull this off.

Took me about 4 hours, which isn't too shabby for act 1. Assuming act 2 is about the same length, that's a pretty decent length for a game.

I kinda had a similar feeling of "that's it?" I also enjoyed every moment of game play but it was just over way to fast! I didn't find the puzzles all the difficult but I also grew up on adventure games so I guess I'm just well prepared! I hope this games does extremely well so that they can go on making adventure games!

The Halo games probably cost $100+ million a piece, retail for $60-70 and manage to put out 6 hours of gameplay. Oh well.

Tim did say in the documentary that they're planning on making Act 2 a bit harder.

2-4 hours for each act is a good length in this genre. Monkey Island would be around 4-5 hours for an experienced player.

2-4 hours for each act is a good length in this genre. Monkey Island would be around 4-5 hours for an experienced player.

Or longer. I spent a lot of time insult sword fighting for fun. Ha.

Smiles

Don't know how people are finishing it in 3 hours. I'm not getting majorly stuck and it's easily lasted me 4, and I'm not done yet.

I was a little disapointed at the very first puzzle for the boy world. Cause i was really exited to play all those play scenes and try everything before i broke out but the first thing i did in the whole thing was just what i thought was too fun not to do and suddenly i was out of the loop and simluations were dissabled from mom... i was so sad... i was really looking forward to try them all and get bored with them even...

I assume you figured this out if you progressed but you can go back into those rooms and do the scenes that you would access from the dialogue tree with mom. You don't lose any content by continuing too 'soon'.

Games always suffer from the whole "Length" idea in our heads. We plop down 5-60 bucks for a game and usually have expectations. Other interactive(ish) things, like films, books, etc often seem to be disassociated from length as a quality of measure -- but games since the dawn of time, have usually trumpeted length as measure of quality.

That's true, but part of it probably is that it's so widely accepted that a movie is 90 minutes or more. If someone released a summer 3D blockbuster that clocked in at 55 minutes, people probably WOULD complain about that...

Obviously there is some kind of a lower limit (we can all probably agree 20 minutes would not be enough), we just don't have a consensus on where that line is exactly. Doesn't help that a game can cost anywhere from $3 to $70. For narrative-driven games, let me suggest 2 hours for every $10 as the Official Industry Standard.

You know, it was just right for me. I'd rather have something short than something that drags on unnecessarily.

8-12 hours for a full adventure is the typical target range. So theyr on track.

The important thing is the level of quality, and it should be apparent that with broken age its very high.

I assume you figured this out if you progressed but you can go back into those rooms and do the scenes that you would access from the dialogue tree with mom. You don't lose any content by continuing too 'soon'.

of course :) i saw them all cause i asked nicely. Didn't mentione it cause i wanted to spoil as little as possible. Still would have loved it to be a little in that endless loop and even get bored with it like shay must have been. in my play through he never got to a point to be bored.

I've been playing for 2 hours, probably gonna be 5 at my pace, if the next part is as long then that's approximately 8-10 hours based on what I see others are saying. And you only spent 15 bucks on the game. Regardless of what tier YOU YOURSELF choose you only spent 15 bucks, anything above that was paying for extra stuff.

I'm loving the game so far, it's exactly what I wanted to a T! And if the game only ends up being 8-10 hours at most, that still sounds like good value to me. I've payed 60 bucks for a game that took me 9 hours to beat but imo because of the games content it was still worth every penny.

All in all, how you value the time it takes to beat a game is COMPLETELY subjective. You may see a 8-10 game and say "that's to short". AND THAT'S FINE. If you feel that way that's your opinion and it's not wrong to you because that's how you feel. But others might look at it differently and say "that's exactly how long it should be". Others may not even be concerned about the time. They may just look at the content and judge it solely on that, It's all opnion in the end.

well i hope nobody missunderstands me. i wasn't complaining in the slightest. i love it and was worth every penny i spent on it. Just said a hard mode for veteran adventure gamers could have been fun aswell :)

I personally took 3-4 hours to beat it and don't feel short-changed, at least not as far as the story is concerned, but man did the puzzles feel easy. If a character says something like "jeez, I really need a hammer" and then two rooms away, there's a hammer lying on the ground, does that even count as a puzzle?

I was done in approx 2 hours, I didn't run into any difficulties except for awkward puzzle getting the golden egg out the tree which was a really obscure puzzle solution IMO. I think it would have been 90 minutes had it not been for that puzzle.

I'm OK with that for act one, I'm a pretty adept gamer and at puzzles, I finished the portal games in just a few hours, I feel a few of the puzzles could have required a little more thought, seeing more objects in the game world with a few more inventory combine puzzles would have been nice. How I feel overall for the price of backing will largely depend on how many acts we get and the total length of them, as well as the wait between them.

I won't make a final judgement until Act II is released, but so far It does feel really, really short. It's indeed a difficult thing to measure, because to me it's not about how many hours it takes me to beat the game, it's about the things I see and the things I do, and the time I can spend with the colorful characters I meet along the way.

The premise of the story is epic, but everything happens so suddenly... You can tell how the time and budget limitations have affected the final product.

Anyway, as I said, I will wait until I can play Act II to see the whole picture. I'm enjoying everything so far, I just want more.

Obviously there is some kind of a lower limit (we can all probably agree 20 minutes would not be enough), we just don't have a consensus on where that line is exactly. Doesn't help that a game can cost anywhere from $3 to $70. For narrative-driven games, let me suggest 2 hours for every $10 as the Official Industry Standard.

You really think narrative driven games should only aim for 4 hours? :P

But yeah. I'm guessing BA will clock a little short for me, but I'm a cheapskate who aims for a dollar an hour at most, and that's NOT counting the documentary.

You really think narrative driven games should only aim for 4 hours? :P

No. I meant that if you get at least 2 hours for every $10 you paid, you don't get to complain about the length. Whether those hours are any good, now that's a different matter. But if you ask me, a bad game doesn't get any better even if you add 10 more bad hours to it.

But yeah. I'm guessing BA will clock a little short for me, but I'm a cheapskate who aims for a dollar an hour at most, and that's NOT counting the documentary.

I'm sorry if you thought this was gonna be 20-30 hours long.

I will also admit to feeling like 'oh is that it?' mind you that was directly after the 'woha!!' moment at the end there. but I usually have to ponder long and hard over adventure games and I just breezed through this in about three and a half hours !!

I sincerely hope the second act is A: longer (in the number of puzzles/scenes) and B: more taxing in the thought required dept.

Either BA:act 1 was a 4 hour tutorial or it was a bit too simple for the type of backers that this project attracted (matured and seasoned adventure game players.)

Please dont get me wrong. What it is, is superb, delectable, well formed, beautiful and I loved every moment, but the solutions came too quick and too easy.

But it could just be that I've got a LOT better at these kind of puzzles since I last played an Adventure game.

(secretly hoping that there is a secret act 3 and 4 that you are gonna spring on us all :D)

Well I really took my time and savoured every last bit, clicked everything, more than once, think I explored every nook and cranny and Steam is telling me I played it for 7 hours. That’s one time through. Did all Vella’s then all Shay’s. In that order.

hE8VoZn.png

Really? People are complaining it's too short? It's only Act 1! Average time seems to be about 4-5 hours.

You pay $20 at the movies for just 2-3 hours of entertainment. We have a whole other Act to go. Not to mention the huge value we got for the documentary.

Really enjoyed it. Great job DF!

Really? People are complaining it's too short? It's only Act 1! Average time seems to be about 4-5 hours.

You pay $20 at the movies for just 2-3 hours of entertainment. We have a whole other Act to go. Not to mention the huge value we got for the documentary.

Really enjoyed it. Great job DF!

That's not really a good argument. A movie and an adventure game are not comparable at all in terms of price-to-time ratio.

If Tim was shooting for a traditional-style adventure, he should have shot for a longer adventure. If people are finishing the first half (sorry, "act") in 3-5 hours, your game is too easy and too short.

Sign in to follow this