Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sneferu

Letterbox mode

I'm posting this to advice everyone playing with a 16:9 monitor to put the letterbox option in "vertical". I started playing the game in "horizontal" and now I've just realized that I was missing a really BIG chunk of art. I guess it's the price we have to pay to have this beautiful game in multiple platforms.

Yeah is this game really designed in 4:3??

I just started it on my iMac 27", 2560x1440 resolution.

When going to fullscreen in horizontal letterbox mode, it cuts off a big part of the image (probably 1/4 of the top part)! Makes no sense to play it like this.

When setting it to vertical letterbox mode, i get the full image... but only in 4:3 format with letterboxes left and right, which is very annoying.

I assume this is a bug, because otherwise it would be really dumb...

I will wait for the final version to try it again.

Well, they can only do one ratio, do they? If the backgrounds were made in 16:9, the problem would be reverse.

But lmfao, this is about the first good news I head. I'll be sure to enjoy my old 4:3 screen, when I get to play the game :P

Yeaaaah, it's not really possible to design it so both 16:9 and 4:3 screens show everything without letterboxing, so this is not a bug.

I assume DF have valid reason for designing the art in 4:3, although it seems a bit odd in 2014. Maybe it's just that the x axis is more "valuable" in terms of gameplay, so it makes sense to crop the y axis and not vice versa.

I have a 16:9 monitor and playing without letterboxing didn't bother me one bit. It's far superior than having horizontal letterboxing, even if I couldn't see *all* the art.

/***** SPOILER *****/

I struggled w/ the Mog fight, once picked up by the single arm I thought I was supposed to shoot it in the glowing eye again. After struggling for a while I actually quit the game to run it w/ horizontal letterboxing, because I figured maybe the glowing eye got cut off. Not the case, the game is definitely designed to be playable even with parts of the art being cut off on the y axis.

/***** SPOILER END *****/

I assume DF have valid reason for designing the art in 4:3, although it seems a bit odd in 2014.

iPad, I bet.

I assume DF have valid reason for designing the art in 4:3, although it seems a bit odd in 2014.

iPad, I bet.

Sure, but you'd think they design the art to be optimal for the maximum number of user's. Either they figure they will have more people playing the game on iPads or other 4:3 devices than on widescreens, or there's a different reason why 4:3 is the better way to go.

It's a non-issue for me personally, but it would be interesting to have one of the devs clarify.

iPad, I bet.

Sure, but you'd think they design the art to be optimal for the maximum number of user's. Either they figure they will have more people playing the game on iPads or other 4:3 devices than on widescreens, or there's a different reason why 4:3 is the better way to go.

It's a non-issue for me personally, but it would be interesting to have one of the devs clarify.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of copies will be on iPads.

I'm actually pretty sure it's a BUG, because it looks different on my iMac than in videos on YouTube.

In the videos it's fine 16:9 (no letterboxes) and I see the whole image. For example the main menu (first thing you see when you start up the game), on my iMac I do *NOT* see the full "Broken Age" Logo (the written name) on top!

I only see it completely if I set the letterboxes to vertical (4:3) mode... but in the videos on YouTube it's 16:9 and STILL everything is visible.

I will post screenshots later today.

EDIT:

Sorry I was wrong, it's no bug, please read my post below.

I'm actually pretty sure it's a BUG, because it looks different on my iMac than in videos on YouTube.

In the videos it's fine 16:9 (no letterboxes) and I see the whole image. For example the main menu (first thing you see when you start up the game), on my iMac I do *NOT* see the full "Broken Age" Logo (the written name) on top!

I only see it completely if I set the letterboxes to vertical (4:3) mode... but in the videos on YouTube it's 16:9 and STILL everything is visible.

I will post screenshots later today.

Sounds like you're running it at some odd resolution. I see everything in 16:9 on my monitor... I think I would have noticed if the logo was missing! :)

There was a thread a long time ago saying that they designed on 4:3 because it is easier to make something look good an all sizes (via cropping) when the base is 4:3 (removing the top and bottom) than the other way around.

uhm sorry i am dumb. please ignore me ;)

it's NOT a bug.

i wasn't seeing the logo on the main screen because the option screen was still open (and in widescreen it's covering the whole logo). didn't know how to close it until i pressed esc xD oh boy, how can i be so dumb? ^^

however it's true what the first poster in this thread said:

the artwork was natively done in 4:3, that's still annoying for us who play the game on a nice and big widescreen monitor. but well, i can live with it...

anyway, let me show you two screens so you know what we speak about:

ba-43.jpg

ba_widescreen.jpg

ba-43.jpg.d077df2f3343d7cd222a2b0f20abd9

ba_widescreen.jpg.aee1fb51f36d3361704a02

Sign in to follow this