Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FearMonkey

[Suggestion] Save Anywhere and no Checkpoint Saves

I didn't think I needed to say this in the two years this game has been in development but why does this game have a checkpoint system? I haven't played a single point 'n click adventure game in my entire life that has a checkpoint save system. Why is this game, a Tim Schafer game of all things, have a Checkpoint Save system? There is no excuse for this.

If I save right before entering Vella's house at the beginning and then I load up that save, I shouldn't have to start from the very beginning with the option to choose Shay. I've chosen to start as Vella. Why is the game letting me change a decision that's already been made?

This is one of the issues with Checkpoints in adventure games. They hardly ever make sense. Especially since one of the key features of adventure games should be exploration. If I save on one screen and by going a couple screens over it triggers an event and now there's no way for me to go back without restarting the whole game or a large chunk of the game, that is bad. (unless it's my fault and I have been saving often) I should be allowed to wander around at my leisure, trying out different things, talking to as many people as possible, etc. Checkpoints can prevent that from happening and this is one of those things I enjoy most about Adventure Games: Exploration.

If there's a way, I would HUMBLY suggest changing the save point system to allow Save Anywhere. When this game gets into the general public's hands, people will be complaining about it. Reviews will probably complain about it too. This situation happened recently with the Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter. When it was released, there was a huge kerfuffle about the fact that the game, an RPG, had Checkpoint Saves. People will have the same complaints about this, I am sure. Please make this change.

Thanks.

But all the Manual Save option does is save the current Checkpoint.

Like I said, at the beginning of the game, after talking to Vella's sister, I manually saved before going into the house for the surprise party. I then quit to the menu and chose "Load Game". It proceeded to start me at the very beginning of the game where I had a choice between Vella and Shay. It should not do that.

If I'm understand correctly, I believe saving will work as you imagine it should for the vast majority of the game. The area before entering Vella's house happens to be one of those places that doesn't save your progress. I don't quite remember the reasoning but I think it was because choosing Shay is a very short sequence (where there's nothing really to save before the next scene is loaded) and it was expected for Vella's to be similarly short.

If I'm understand correctly, I believe saving will work as you imagine it should for the vast majority of the game. The area before entering Vella's house happens to be one of those places that doesn't save your progress. I don't quite remember the reasoning but I think it was because choosing Shay is a very short sequence (where there's nothing really to save before the next scene is loaded) and it was expected for Vella's to be similarly short.

If what you say is true, and it does seem to be now that i've had more time to play with it, can I re-iterate another suggestion/feedback I had where we can get more save slots and allow us to delete saves? Eight save slots just isn't enough.

Also, if it's possible, the first part of Vella's section should also work the way saving does for the rest of it. It's too weird to save in that location, quit the game, load that save and then it starts the game over again from the title screen. It's just...weird. :(

Thanks for reply. :)

Sign in to follow this