Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Professor Barricus

Riddle of Yorn does not play the first time

That's by design! You can only choose that option after talking to the druids. Vella pretends that she already knows it and is just asking for a "reminder".

That creates another problem, in my opinion. Why do they assume you know the riddle in the first place, given who Yorn is (I'm trying not to spoil the end of the puzzle for anyone who is just thumbing through these bugs before playing)? The "anicent knowledge" atmosphere would not be affected if they quoted the riddle after bringing it up. The puzzle loses nothing by having them tell you the riddle up front, but adds some confusion by making the player ask to "hear it again", both confusion over whether they missed a piece of dialog and confusion over why the riddle was presented as common knowledge, only to find out how esoteric the source of the riddle is.

I hope this isn't coming off as nitpicking or "angry fan". I loved the puzzle, but the way it is presented made me feel as if I had missed something and after finding out that it wasn't common knowledge even for those who lived in the town, I feel even more puzzled.

I think her asking to be reminded of the Riddle works well in the context of the scene since she is pretending that she already knows the answer. The only problem is once the two blind druids remind her once, you can't ask them to say it again. So you better be paying attention the first time it is said!

Yeah, I have to agree, that dialog... doesn't make sense. It's not blocking, and it's probably not even worth bringing VAs back in for, but it's a quirk to avoid in part two if possible? Unless you guys did all the voice work in one go, which is possible.

(I did love the puzzle though, it's one of those ones where you feel like a genius when you get it, which is what we're always looking for!)

Since this subforum is about feedback not just bugs, I too was confused when vella asked to hear the riddle again. I think partly due to how the line was read making me genuinely believe I was meant to have heard it before and not making a clever ploy to get information out of them

Yeah if Vella wasn't such a darn good liar then maybe it would have been more obvious. :D

I agree, maybe do a re-record of this line, with more hesitation.

Sign in to follow this