• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
KalevTait

Difficult to drag inventory with touchpad only

I'm playing on a Mac laptop with no mouse, and I find it clumsy to click and drag. I would suggest an interface option to emulate a click/drag by using the RMB.

Same for me.

I not feeling confortable with the inventory when playing with me Macbook Pro trackpad.

The worst is the inventory opening witch very often generate a "move" click to the right corner of the screen. It often leads to an unwanted screen exit too.

Yes, it's a pain. I don't understand why it can't just be one click for a "use highlighted item with..." option.

I also can't get a proper full screen mode when connecting the Macbook to a TV. I thought since I have OS X Mavericks installed that would be possible on a second screen.

Actually i took half a minute to figure out you should drag items from the inventory.

I first tried left and right click and wondered why my cursor did not change to the item ;-)

However so far it was the only non intuitive thing.

Exiting fast by doubleclicking and stuff works as expected.

If this is still possible to include, I would also argue for a different way of handling the inventory items, i.e. clicking on them once to select them and then clicking on the object you want to use them on/with.

I suppose you chose the current way so that everything might be handled with the same mouse button or on a touchscreen device, but for playing with a mouse or a small touchpad this isn't ideal.

You would of course need a different mechanism to handle the investigation of inventory items (currently done by clicking on them), for example a "Look at" button in the inventory, a double click or something similar...

I am having difficulty with this as well using a touchpad on a mac, but more with the movement of the character than with using the inventory items, although dragging those was not intuitive. Clicking the inventory button opens it, but ALSO sometimes makes the character walk in that direction—sometimes off screen, as mentioned by Pierre-Loup. It took me a while to figure out I had to click and HOLD the inventory button until I had selected an item if I wanted the character to stay put. Annoying.

This and one crash were the only problem I had with the game, which I just beat and which was wonderful!

Clicking the inventory button opens it, but ALSO sometimes makes the character walk in that direction—sometimes off screen

Same issue for me. It was somewhat difficult to make the mouth for the tree with the axe, cause it would make Vella to go back one screen.

EDIT: I'm using the built-in trackpad from a late 2011 Macbook Pro

If this is still possible to include, I would also argue for a different way of handling the inventory items, i.e. clicking on them once to select them and then clicking on the object you want to use them on/with.

I suppose you chose the current way so that everything might be handled with the same mouse button or on a touchscreen device, but for playing with a mouse or a small touchpad this isn't ideal.

You would of course need a different mechanism to handle the investigation of inventory items (currently done by clicking on them), for example a "Look at" button in the inventory, a double click or something similar...

I support this.

For example, a "Look" icon could be the very first thing in the inventory. That way, whether using a pointing device or a touchscreen, a person could click or tap on the "Look" icon, and then click the inventory item to get a description. If they instead click the item directly first, then the item is highlighted/outlined for use in the game world, with the "Look" icon, or on other inventory items. Clicking/tapping on another hotspot will then initiate a potential interaction or rejection message. You could of course also keep the dragging method as an additional input approach.

Another way of handling this is a conditional. Set two arrays of target platforms. If compiling for a touchscreen platform, then use the drag interface for inventory manipulation. Else compiling for a pointer platform, then use the click once, click again approach. Alternatively, right-click for descriptions.

Sign in to follow this